• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

More than 1 addiction

Some times I go fishing, hers a couple rods that I keep at my condo. The rest are on the boats or at my family's garage.
Addiction? well maybe a little!
420_02_03_07_4_51_02.jpg

pmac90 said:
Nice Chris!!

Hey Matt, I love hearing about the "good ole days"... Unfortunately most muscle only exist to the money having baby boomers who never had them growing up. Most mopar "specialty" cars are going for upwards of 50g's I can't get back into it for that. I can't even get a shell of a Road Runner for 15g's. Chevys are even getting rediculous. that 429 you had would go for a pretty penny!! hehe ;D
You reminded me of something silly with the leaded thing...... when i was playing hockey at Lasalle U in the mid 90's i had my charger. when i parked to get out at the rink an older "crazy" guy had an argument with me for 10 minutes that it needed leaded .. Carb and Valves are fine.. NO IT DON'T! aahh the good ole days. LOL
ps i drive a 06 corolla now... work is 37 miles one way. i'm no fool

I miss that car. :'( 1970 fastback (mach I style, but not an actual mach). I pulled the 302 out of it and put the 429 in it. Got it out of a Grand Torino GT I think. Had like 30,000 miles on it. You know the story, little old lady, car in the garage, blah blah blah. I tuned it with the super CJ top end, had the rear narrowed to 9", and Hurst competition slap shifter, 3" straight pipe off custom headers..... Even with traction bars I couldn't keep it down. Completely redid the interior, replaced the trunk pan and gas tank (you know how those old fords love to rust!), floor pans, dash panel, carpets, seats re-upholstered, etc.

Now, here's the thing that makes me want to vomit. I put $5,000 into it (plus ALOT of blood sweat and tears), sold it for $7,000 pulling 9.5s in the quarter consistently WITHOUT JUICE. Imagine what the baby goes for now! Granted, it needed paint, but BOY DID SHE FLY!

SOME DAY! *shakes fist at the air* SOME DAY SHE WILL RIDE AGAIN!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Whitebird1 said:

So having seen this set up in person, let me tell you, Greg has a LOT of rods! Including a cool little one for In Home Reef Fishing! As an aside, those rods are mounted to the ceiling. This pic was taken pointing the camera straight up. When I first saw the hats I thought either the pic was upside down or you had hit the anti-gravity switch again! Then I remembered where they were located.

concept3.875, I did all my own tuning on the Scoobie. I've got 3 different setups I can run on it depending on the type of racing (1/4 mile, rally, track) and of course the change out of the turbo to match what I'm going to do.

I have juice but not currently installed. I stopped doing the 1/4 because it's to hard on the car being it's all wheel drive. With a soft launch I'd still do low 12s. However it's really built for rally as that's the way I have it tuned. On a 4 wheel dyno (not many around) I put down a little over 550 hp at the wheels. :) It's not a stock engine by any means. I pulled the original 2L and got a closed deck 2.5L which is what it's built up from. It's definately quick and much faster then my ZO6. I've pushed cars from America and Japan as far as anyone so now it's time to move on to the Italian cars. Nothing like starting with 12 cylinders all wrapped up in a super sexy package to boot. :)

cmsurfr22 said:
cayars said:
I just put a down payment on a Murcielago LP 640 which hopefully will come in before summer!

Are you kidding?

Nope, dead serious. If you come to the meeting in November (at my house) you'll see it. :)

Speaking of houses. For those of you who know I'm in an apartment right now (after a divorce) and have been looking for a house in Bordentown with an in ground pool and a really good room for a LARGE tank. I hit pay dirt yesterday and found "the house". I made an offer and it was excepted. I put a down payment on it today and signed contracts to get the ball rolling. Closing is set for the 26th of this month. The yard is perfect with just the right size pool with diving board and slide, small basketball court that's paved (yea, less grass to cut) and has a cool playhouse in the backyard for the kids. Nice deck going out to the pool with a gazabo that is screened in. I think a hot tub will make a nice addition to the backyard too. The house isn't too bad in it's layout but it has a great room for a combination office and reef room. Only downside is the basement (boo). It's more of a utility room under only part of the house. It's going to be quite cramped down there soon. :)

It's was funny. I took my 2 kids (10 and 9) with me to look at the house. Everyone of us made the comment at the same time that the one room was perfect for the reef! Instead of doing the two tanks I believe I'm going to do one large tank in the middle of the room so you can walk completely around it. I'm thinking 8 to 10 feet in length and 4 to 6 feet wide. I won't know the size until I can get the proper people in there to size up the floor and see how much additional bracing and support will be needed. If I can do 10x4 at 30" I'll have a nice 750 gallon tank. If I go 10x6 I'd probably only go 24" in height and would have a 900 gallon tank. I'm leaning towards the 4 foot width as I can use the light fixtures I already have run across the tank on the "short" side as it would be 48". One nice thing about the room is that there are two french doors in that room to the back yard that open so a big tank could be carried straight in.

I think my fishies are going to be quite happy at their new home but I'm sure they are going to need a hundred or so new "friends" to play with. :)

WOW, congrats! I would love to see the tank once you get it in there! Let me know if you need a hand on it! I would be glad to help out on that project!

Other Hobby's are !!!!!!
guess right now i only have one.
Spending money i don't have on anything
that i think i can't afford :)

jazzsam said:
WOW, congrats! I would love to see the tank once you get it in there! Let me know if you need a hand on it! I would be glad to help out on that project!

You hit the nail on the head. "get it in there" is going to be the biggest challenge of all. I'd love to go bigger yet but then you start getting into tank builds done on premises and I believe it's a whole nother price jump to get there.

I will of course except any help that anyone is willing to do. I'm going to be keeping a stocked beer fridge pretty close to the tank for a while. Just the thought of stacking a ton of live rock sounds like a major chore and makes me want a beer right now just thinking about the work involved! I should start a new thread. :)

Carlo

C

concept3

cayars said:
jazzsam said:

I will of course except any help that anyone is willing to do. I'm going to be keeping a stocked beer fridge pretty close to the tank for a while.

Carlo

Carlo- I don't think you want us helping you with your tank while buzzed, LOL unless you want leaky plumbing and live rock structures that tip over.

concept3.875 said:
Carlo- I don't think you want us helping you with your tank while buzzed, LOL unless you want leaky plumbing and live rock structures that tip over.

Wait, I might pay to see a bunch of guys get buzzed and try to stack rocks in a near 1,000 gallon box of water! (that might just be the sicko side of me, though...) Bet a video of that would get MILLIONS of hits on youtube! ;D

mfisher2112 said:
concept3.875 said:

Wait, I might pay to see a bunch of guys get buzzed and try to stack rocks in a near 1,000 gallon box of water! (that might just be the sicko side of me, though...) Bet a video of that would get MILLIONS of hits on youtube! ;D

What will make it even harder is that the tank will be filled when stacking the rock. I'm getting the rock straight (pretty much) from the ocean. It'll be shipped in water and I'm picking it up at the airport. I plan on having a few large rubermaid containers to use to spread the rock out in to get the best pieces for the bottom. I don't like pvc structures so it'll be pure rock stacks. I might use some glue but doubt I'll even do that. Since it's going to be viewable from all 4 sides there is no cheating like leaning the rock against the back wall since there isn't a "back". I pretty much figure I'll just climb in and make it a little easier to get the center pieces in there then it shouldn't be to hard to reach over the sides and place the rock in the tank. I definately think it's a couple of cases of beer type job. :)

I'm working on getting quotes for the tank right now so if anyone knows any good shops they would trust for a tank of this size 120x48x30 that will do starfire do me a favor and shoot me a PM with contact info. Something probably more important will be to have someone come out and look at the structure to determine what will need to be done to support the weight. So if anyone in the club can do this I'd really like to hear from them!

Carlo

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hi Carlo. A Sunday would be good for me to look at you're floor structure. Just give me a weeks notice in advance. I've been building homes for 30 years.
Mike

Subliminal

NJRC Member
My hobbies include:

Home Theatre...
Currently building a 'tv stand' (even though the tv is really on the wall, i'm building a stand for the cable box, amp, center channel, etc...Here's the sub I just built:
IMG_1998.jpg

Car audio has always been a fun one for me. Here's from a sub install in my old GTP:
sealedyo.JPG

Cars are also a hobby of mine. Expensive and a pain in the rear, but fun on occasion:
IMG_1773.jpg

I like to frequent the Delware River (via Bordentown) during the warmer months:
IMG_1055.jpg

Of course, these guys take up a good portion of my time:
IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

And this place takes up a good amount of my time, too:
July29th2005Lambertsville014.jpg

1.) My tank (d'uh)

2.) Exotic pets (at the moment, though, my reef tank is the most exotic thing I have. That and my Harley-kins - a three foot male ball python named Harlequin, but I subject to cutesy names whenever I feel like).

3.) Drawing, art, brush ink, illustration, painting, etc.

4.) Stomping about gothily.

5.) Poi and fire. Mmm.... fire. When the spring rolls around, I'll rewick and light up again so there can be picture sharing.

6.) Reading and writing. I'm currently writing a really strange pseudo-apocalypse story and a zombie tale.

7.) Shell collecting. I can't help it. Whenever I go to the beach, I have to do it. I have to collect shells. It's incurable.

8.) Rock stacking. It's a strange hobby, I know, but it makes aquascaping easier.