• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My newest tank

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, the blast bug has bitten hard. These guys just came in tonoght and have only been in the tank about 1/2 an hour.
newtank137.jpg

newtank138.jpg

newtank141.jpg

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
These are the ones I got from the club back at Aaron's meeting.
newtank139.jpg

And here's a full tank shot from tonight.
newtank147.jpg

Nice!

It's a good bug bite! I need some like that second picture.

After my Euphyllias and the Cyanarias, they are my favorite pieces.

Tank is looking good Matt.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here are my latest acquisitions, they are in their own tank but figured I'd put the pics here.
male:
purplerhodactis012.jpg

female:
purplerhodactis010.jpg

the loving couple:
purplerhodactis009.jpg

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Nice, Matt! Good luck with them. One quick question: How do you tell the difference between male and female? Is the male the bigger one?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
JohnS_323 said:
Nice, Matt! Good luck with them. One quick question: How do you tell the difference between male and female? Is the male the bigger one?

Thanks John. They seem to be settling in rather nicely. They both jumped on the star when I added it today, they are not letting it get too far away from them.

I was told that the female was the larger of the 2.

Now a couple questions for you:
How long does it normally take them to get through a CC star? How often do you guys feed your's on average?

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
panmanmatt said:
JohnS_323 said:

Thanks John. They seem to be settling in rather nicely. They both jumped on the star when I added it today, they are not letting it get too far away from them.

I was told that the female was the larger of the 2.

Now a couple questions for you:
How long does it normally take them to get through a CC star? How often do you guys feed your's on average?

It depends on the size of CC. We get some from Fish Tails that are HUGE. They're probably 4.5" to 5" tip to tip and last about a month. The "normal" sized ones I get from other stores are generally 2.5" to 3" across and they last about 2 weeks. The general rule of thumb is: If you can see them, they're hungry. Our's will drag whatever we feed them back into the rocks and dissappear for a while. Once them come back out front it's time to hit the store.

They'll blow you away with how quickly they realize there is their type of food in the tank and then how well they work together to kill it and drag it out of view.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The stars I got are about 3-3.5 tip to tip so that should last them a while then. I love watching these guys, luckily their tank is 12 gallons so there isn't a ton of places they can hide. They have the whole tank to themselves and seem to be loving it so far.