• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New and Nervous

hello everyone,

This will likely be a bit wordy....cuz...well...I'm wordy by nature...grins

I've always wanted a reef tank and have finally gotten up the nerve to start one....I've been researching like crazy, but as you can tell from my name, that has not alleviated all the questions that I have....I'm very new to this endeavor...so new that I don't even have a set-up yet..I'm still in the planning stages.

My brother just ordered my 55 gallon tank and my father is in the process of building my stand (nice to have a carpenter in the family)...needless to say, the tank hasn't arrived yet and the stand isn't completed yet.

Due to my budget, I'm taking things slow. I just purchased the aqua c remora skimmer and will likely purchase a filter within the next month. I have a question about the filter. I've read that some say you don't even need a filter due to the live sand and live rock as long as you have a decent protein skimmer. This just doesn't seem right to me. I want fish in the tank and I know that will increase the bioload. I'm looking into the Eheim Wet/Dry canister filter- Model 2227. It is in my price range and advertized as not needing a sump set up. I really don't want to mess with plumbing and a sump set up. I also plan to get the Nova Extreme HO T-5 fixture with lunar lights. I figure that will be the last purchase as I've read that one should take their time with tank cycling and that you don't need to put the lights on until the tank has cycled and is ready for stocking. Is this true?

anyway..I know I've been wordy, thank you for your time in reading this and I am definitely open to suggestions regarding the lighting and filter within my price range.

*perks*...just got a call from my brother...apparantly, the tank is in!! Now I just gotta get on my dad's case to finish the stand!

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Inquisitive

Welcome to the NJRC! You should probably skip the filter and put the money towards the best skimmer you can afford. You may want to consider joining the club. We have group buys where you'll save %10 to 15% The fact that you are starting out and will need a lot of things makes the $12 fee a no brainer! Hope to see you at a future meeting (you can attend whether you are a member or not).

Bob

Hi Bob,

thanks for replying! Unfortunately, I just ordered the skimmer. Do I need a filter at all? and if so, what do you recommend? I will look into the meeting schedule and thank you for the welcome!

Kristi-

WELCOME TO NJRC!

A slow build is the way to go!! nothing good in this hobby comes fast...and anything good - takes time. I'm sure I am mis-quoting that but I recall reading that in Bob Fenner's book. Is your bro or dad going to be also involved in the tank? If so - you could get a family membership. This way if you are not around, one of them can also get the nice discount at the stores that support the club.

I would not suggest the wet/dry cannister filter. While your choice (Eheim) is a great manufacturer, you don't need it for a reef tank as long as you have appropriate water flow in the display and a good skimmer.

What kind of skimmer did you buy and how big is this tank?

Phil, it's a 55 gallon and a Remora C skimmer.

I agree with the above posters about skipping the Eheim filter. I don't think you'll be needing it.

I also think the Remora C is a great choice for a hang-on skimmer. Do you know yet what type of fish and/or corals you are planning to keep? I'm assuming you'll aquascape with live rock, yes? If that's the case, the LR will act as your biological filter, while the skimmer removes the nasties. ;)

Welcome to NJ Reefers Club and welcome to the hobby. :)

Inquisitive said:
Hi Bob,

thanks for replying! Unfortunately, I just ordered the skimmer. Do I need a filter at all? and if so, what do you recommend? I will look into the meeting schedule and thank you for the welcome!

Kristi-

There is no reason to say you unfortunately ordered the skimmer, because you just ordered the best hang on the back skimmer money can buy (unless you wanted to shell out $600 for a Deltec!).

I have an Aqua C Remora. It's the best skimmer I've ever known for the price. You made a good purchase, Kristi.

Filter wise, I would just say that you should get a small hang on filter just to run some Polyfilter (skip carbon and go right to Polyfilter). It will help a lot especially if you want to go full blown reef in the future.

You could get a canister filter, also, if you're doing fish only. If you ever went to reef, you could use the canister filter as a NeoZeo (Brightwell Aquatic's version of ZeoVit) reactor. You could throw some Polyfilter and Chemi-pure in there also. You just need to be good with maintenance with a canister (IE clean it out once a week or so) in order for it not to be a nitrate factory.

Welcome to the club...like everyone is saying join up and become a paying member.

I would say skip the filter. If you are using a hang on back skimmer and not drilling the tank you might however look into a hang on refugium...like a CPR or some others. This is an additional way to increase filtration in a natural way. It gives you the added bonus of being able to grow some pods and so on. Refugiums are tops in my book.
We all have what we like. Generally we like what works for us as individuals so that is why you are seeing different opinions.

Take your time and don't worry about getting the tank setup right away. Let us know what you plan on keeping

We will have some group buys in the near future(www.premiumaquatics.com where you get 15% of list and likely TBaquatics for clean up crew) and I think that will be a great help for you.

James

Hawkeye said:
What kind of skimmer did you buy and how big is this tank?

I just want to say that I am a blind dummy for not reading your original post more closely. :p ::)

I agree - the aqua C is probably one of the favorites in terms of hang on the back skimmers.

I used to have a 55 and had a sump with an aqua c ev 120 (was hoping to upgrade to a bigger tank). But the remora is probably perfectly sized for it. Have you thought about what kind of powerheads in the tank?

Hi and welcome to the site. this club is great and well worth signing up for membership.
you say a reef tank does this mean RR tank with a sump? if so it will eliminate all other filters and you can run carbon and phos reactor in the sump. and make sure you use the purest water possible rodi is the way to go. and forget the eheim.

As you build your system, keep an eye on our "For Sale or Trade" section. Buy corals and frags from members, when you can. This can save you a ton of money. Also, this is a hobby of continuous upgrades. Whatever you've got, there's always something better. (lights, pumps, etc) Take advantage of members selling their old stuff when they upgrade. People here are pretty trustworthy and they won't sell you something that's no good.

Welcome to the obsession.

Welcome
As you can see this is a hobby of opinions and not so much absolutes. Or to put it another way "there is more than one way to skin a cat".
I don't think you need the filter, as it has been said you really need to be diligent about cleaning anything that catches debris. It can become a nitrate sink and cause more problems then they are worth. In general good live rock and skimming are sufficient. In addition i would recommend some way of running carbon. This could be a canister filter or media reactor, but i think running carbon is important.
It would be helpful to know what you intend to keep. Fish only, corals, if coral what kind. Each of these have different requirements and while some thing that works with fish only may not be good enough for corals.
Phil i think the phrase you were looking for is "Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank, only bad thing" or something like that :D

*perks*...thank you all so much for the replies!!

So, the consenses seems to be that I should become a member...grins...and for 12 bucks, no real justification for not doing it....is that 12 bucks a year or a month?...

Let me run by you all what I have been thinking of doing....I just got the tank, the stand shoudl be here next weekend and the skimmer is on its way....I plan on going very slow and taking my time with this....it is nice to know I won't have to shell out the 240 for the filter which gives me the money to invest in power heads....this is what I've been thinking

remember, the tank is 55 gallon...I was thinking I could get away with two powerheads...one on each end of the tank and the skimmer in the back middle....was looking at the Ocean Pulse Wavermakers, Due...and 2 Hydro Koralia 2 or 3 circulation pumps...does anyone know if those pumps will work with the ocean pulse wavemaker?...if not, I'm open to suggestion but would prefer to not spend over 250.

Now, as far as what I want to put in the tank....keeping in mind that I intend to go very slow with this:

65-70lbs of live rock...anywhere know where I can get this reasonable cheap?...LFS are selling it from 8.50 to ten bucks a pound...way out of my price range

60 lbs of live sand...I don't like the looks of crushed coral

Inverts:
1 Coral banded shrimp
3 Fire/blood shrimp
3 peppermint shrimp
1 tuxedo urchin
various snails (I like the nassarius, trochus, conch, and bumble bee, a few hermit crabs, 3 emerald crabs

Corals:

some mushrooms
some polyps
frogspawn
torch
am open to suggestions and well, figured I'd just look at frags that catch my eye

I want one or two of the smaller clams, can't remember the name but starts with a C

Fish:
The last that will go in the tank and negotiable:

2 ocellaris tank raised clowns
lawnmower blenny
watchman goby
green mandarin
clown fairy wrasse
I like the huma picasso trigger, but not sure if the tank is big enough...again, open to suggestions....I'm not to fond of the firefish goby

What do you all think?....feels weird to complete this setup with out a filter...may do a refugium, but not at startup....

BobCReef said:
Phil i think the phrase you were looking for is "Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank, only bad thing" or something like that :D
;) Close enough. LOL.

Inquisitive - the membership is per year. $12. I think it's like $15 for family membership.

Personally I'd skip the wavemaker on the 55...especially if funds are tight.

In terms of liverock - just post a wtb or scan the for sale boards. I know at least one or two people who recently are selling their live rock for like $2.50 to $3.50 a pound.

The lineup on the tankmates is nice - except the humuhumunukunukuapuaa trigger fish....(the state fish of h'awai'i). ;) It will make quick lunch of your inverts. :eek: Love the hawaiian name...so much more interest than just "picasso trigger". ;D

The other thing to consider is the water. Did you plan on using RODI water. Will you be buying water or puchasing an RO unit. Long term the unit is worth the investment.
I agree no HumaHuma Trigger, skip that. The mandarin i would wait a year before getting, they do best in an established tank. Personally I like a tang in my tank. My favorite is the purple. But to each his own. Looks like you have a plan

Inquisitive said:
Inverts:
1 Coral banded shrimp
3 Fire/blood shrimp

green mandarin

i dont know if anyone mention this, but coral banded shrimp can be nasty. yes you can keep them but be careful and keep an eye out. as far as the fire shrimp (and even skunk cleaner shrimp) ive heard 3 or an uneven number of them usually leads to the odd man out (ultimately he turns up dead) so your best to go with 1 or 2.. if it is 2, id add them at the same time.

as far as the mandarin goes, yes they are nice fish and colorful but they need ample supply of pods. this fish will NOT survive in your tank unless it is well establish (about a year old) or you can train it to eat prepared foods. preferably both.

thanks for the reply guys

ok, no on the huma fish...pity since it is a real beauty...and I will heed yer advice and wait a year before doing the mandarin....

yeah, I was reading that the CBS can be a bit aggressive...recommended one per tank....but, I also read that the blood shrimp does ok in groups of 3....in any case, will head yer advice on that and only get two of them...

What do you think of pistol shrimp?...I would like a watchman goby and think it would be pretty cool to see the symbiotic relationship they are supposed to have....my clowns are going to have to be content to live w/out an amenone...I don' tfeel brave enough or experienced enough to try to raise one of those....

as far as water....I know everyone recommneds the Ro...due to funds and just starting out, I was thinking of testing my tap water and giving that a try with water conditioner...are you all cringing?....

you guys should think about including an "edit" option on the posts...unless there is one and I just don't see it...

I meant to ask...I was looking at the yellow tangs....is the 55 gallon big enough for just one of them?

one of the sayings here is I could have saved so much money if I stop trying to save money or something like that. I tried the tap water also when I first set up. had such a algae bloom couldn't even see thru the tank and my water was not terrible.you can at least get the water from local fish store at first. or if you have barrels I will give you water to set up.(have to mix the salt)if your too far from me perhaps someone local will give you a hand with that. trust me you don't want to use tap water.the water is the single most important thing you can do for your tank