• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New and Nervous

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I totally agree with Dave about the RO water. I tried to use tap when I started and it was a disaster. Spent more time trying to clean glass and rock work then I did enjoying the tank. Try your LFS they should have just RO or already aged salt water. In a pinch Walmart sells ro water (make sure it's a green label "drinking water" the fine print on the side will say RO). As far as the wave maker with Koralias they aren't supposed to be put on one but I've been running them that way for over a year with no problems.

Bob

You cannot use the standard Koralia on a wave maker. They do sell a new version that you can....but...there is always a but...they are a lot more expensive. I have that wave maker with two MJ900 and two Koralia 4s in my 120. I like the results so far. Perhaps as a suggestion you could use a similar if smaller combo. The MJ900 use less electricty then the MJ1200 and get almost the same flow FYI.
Coming to a group buy early next year.
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...roduct_Code=JBJ-WM-01&Category_Code=Clearance
Group buys are a major "perk" of being a member.

The yellow tang is one of the smaller ones. Two other possible tangs would be a Kole, Convict or a Tomini. I would research them though...recomended tank size is 70-100 gallons for those four...and they are basically the smallest. Kole and Tomini would most likely be the best choices due to temperment and size.

For the clam how many bulbs in the fixture that you are looking at? You need a fair amount of light with clams.

Last the money you save on wavemakers spend it on a RO/DI unit or go to your LFS and buy the water there. I used go to Trop for water RO/DI and premixed SW 50C and $1 a gallon. But that was with a nano tank. But if you don't want to spend the money right of the bat for a unit at least do it that way. I didn't like the mess I had before I started using the right water.

I'll chime in here as a strong advocate for RO/DI water. After doing tons of research on that matter, I wouldn't have done it any other way. You can get fairly inexpensive and GOOD units these days, and it'll safe you tons of trouble and heartache. ;) JR is absolutely right about the wavemaker. Save that money and invest it in the RO/DI unit.

I ran a 75 for over a year with no wavemaker - only Koralias, and everything thrived.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
JerseyWendy said:
...I ran a 75 for over a year with no wavemaker - only Koralias, and everything thrived.

cough cough, UNDERSTATEMENT! I think "flourished beyond belief" is more appropriate!

thanks for the replies everyone....

alright....you have me convinced....I won't bother with a wavemaker...I'll just pick up two of the koralias....at the risk of sounding stupid, I was looking at them in a catalogue and didn't see a cord running from them, so I didn't know if I had to hook them up to a wavemaker to even get them to work....from your replies, it seems I can just go ahead and plug the actual powerhead into a socket and get it to work...

I will do some research on the RO units....another consideration is where do I even put the unit in my home...I live in a second floor condo....I don't know if the girlfriend is going to be pleased having this hooked up in our bathroom as I don't think we have room in the kitchen....

and I WILL become a member...smiles....just a matter of mailing the check out at this point...

Wendy, I"ll research the tangs...I'm partial to the yellow one....as far as the clams....I wnat to purchase the Nova Extreme HO T-5 Fixture with lunar lights....the 48" comes with 2-54 watt 10000K bulbs, 2-54 watt actinic bulbs, and 4 lunar lights....I figured this would work for what I want to do...at least for now...I can't see spending more on lighting right now....maybe once I get my feet wet and have a system running for awhile I'll upgrade

Yeh the actual RODI units are a pain. They have adapters to hook up to your sink. Maybe buying the water at a LFS will be easier but then you still have containers for the water.

Koralias do have cords yes, Same as other powerheads only bigger, they are good on electricity though. Always give and take. :-\

We have our RO/DI unit hooked up under the sink in the bathroom. It's always tucked away nice and neatly, and you don't even know it's there. :) They don't require all that much room. All you have to do is tap into the cold water line to hook it up. Quite simple (well....for my husband...not for me. :-[)

John, I had to put on my glasses to read your response, lol. Now I'm going blind. Thank you so much for the kind words.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Well, I was using tap water for a year and somethings lived and some died, but nothing thrived. I just hooked up my RODI and did a water change. The water seems cleared and 5 of my zoas started to open. I bought mine new on ebay and with shipping was about $80. Its a six stage unit. If you decide to but PM and I'll send you the details.

Inquisitive said:
you guys should think about including an "edit" option on the posts...unless there is one and I just don't see it...

long story...it was there...then it was removed "for cause". I wasn't around during that time but perhaps at the next meeting if enough people think we should have the edit function back - we should ask the officers to do so.

I'm a little hesitant to promote the RODI. On the one hand I am personally convinced I will need one - and it hooks up perfectly to my laundry room sink.

But if I were renting a second floor condo - i'm not sure if the landlord would be happy about me piercing the cold water pipe. I'd have to look at your sink or even the kitchen sink to figure out if the adapter for the faucet would make sense or not.

Welcome to NJReefers!

When I "re-started" out in salt water about 5 years ago and had my 26 g tank set up I read a ton and learned a lot and bought a LOT of stuff. The best single investment in that tank was my RO/DI unit, without question. I paid $75 on ebay and I still use it today.

... and I've spent a liiiiiiiittle more since then :-\ and have a ton of new and "better" equipment, but still use that RO unit.

I used a threaded connection from HD to connect it to the sink and have only recently permenetly installed it on the water line.

Hey, if you don't have any other equipment under the tank, put the RO unit there and run a small line to it.

The T-5 Tek fixture is a great choice, and if you keep your fish list to the clowns, blenny, one wrasse and (in a little while) the mandrine, you'll do great for a long time with the Remora and a Empror style HOB filter.

Oh and definitley only a couple of fire shrimp is best.

Good luck!

I'm a big fan of the nova fixture. I run the same 8 x 54 over my 75. The only thing is eventually you may think about changing bulbs to try to get the best par value possible. As for the wave maker I use ten red sea on two koralia 4 and one 3. I do get a light clicking sound on my pumps when they come on but my coral seem to love the current created by them. I would also look onto the hang on fuge as posted by jr earlier is thus thread. But welcome to the club and wish you the best of luck.

thanks for the replies, everyone

I was looking at the RODI units in the dr's foster and smith catalogue and was thinking perhaps I can get a slightly cheaper model that lets me hook up to the faucet, but instead of mounting the unit permentently, perhaps I can just hook it up to the bathroom sink a day or two before I'll need the water for water changes and to supplement evaporation....like, hook it up and run the hose to the tub where I'll have one or two five gallon buckets...just use it to get the water I need, then remove it....do you think this will work?....the tank is only 55 gallons, so I figure replacing about 5 gallons of water via water changes two times a month should do it?...what do you all think?....

It was recommended that I won't need a filter due to the skimmer and having the live rock and live sand. Should I invest in a HOB filter then? rather then the Eheim wet/dry canister filter I was thinking of purchasing for like 230.00 ?

And thanks for the warm welcomes!

Check out this unit:
http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1COMPACT/Compact_75_GPD_Reefkeeper_RODI.html

It comes with everything you need, even a faucet hookup, so you can stow the unit away when you're done with it. ;)

Don't ask me about water changes, because I'm a stickler when it comes to that. I have a 180, and do water changes of about 20-25 gallon weekly. When I had a 75 gallon tank, I'd do weekly water changes of about 10-15 gallons. But everyone is different, and different things work for different folks.

A HOB filter can't hurt, especially since you'll be able to run some carbon in it. :)

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm with Wendy on the water changes. I do 20% every week. You might want to consider doing 10gal instead of the 5.

Bob

Try to do weekly water changes. 10-20% is best.
Don't go for a HOB filter you have a decent skimmer. Fuge is nice because it is like adding some extra water volume plus some biological filtration. In addition the fuge lets you have an area to grow pods ect. Check out what you can find. There are a lot of different versions some with a mechanical filtration some without. You can always add it later too.
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...D&Product_Code=CPR-AFMD&Category_Code=Special
If your a member and we do a group buy subtract 15%...there are a couple models to choose from.

dang JR - you are always fast...

you missed our september airwaterice group buy....bummer. I have a different rodi from them -the typhoon 3 and i really like it. great company/rep.

there is no need for a HOB filter.

Skimmer + LR + LS (if desired) + Powerheads should be enough.

Hey Inquisitive ... head spinning yet?

Just in case you couldn't tell
.... We love having a newbie to coach ;D

Seriously, you're getting all very good advice and ideas here.

Baxreefs said:
Seriously, you're getting all very good advice and ideas here.

hey - i resent that. I am posting here only to pad more posts to my stats so I make myself look more presentable in my run for secretary. ;)

I am posting now in the hopes of being on the top when page 4 starts.

On a more serious note - Inquisitive-
oh by the way - where are you located? central? south? north? I'm sure someone could swing by and help out setting up that RODI if need be. Or do what I did...I went to a meeting and started asking people questions!!

wow, guys, you certainly are very helpful....laughs....

and yes, my head is spinning....I think I'm just going to order those two koralis powerheads and give that a try with my skimmer....I'm not even at the point yet of getting live rock and sand and salt and testing kits...oy vey....laughs....

I'm in union

I'm thinking I have about two or three weeks until my dad completes the stand, I'm also hoping to catch a few sales as we get closer to thanksgiving. I'm going to hold off on the filter just now, but I think I will invest in an RO unit that I can just hook up to the faucet. I liked the one that wendy suggested, but it is a bit pricey and I think it puts out more water then I actually need.

So, if I get this right, I should do ten gallons water change once a week?

sorry, I'm not posting to each of you individually, just trying to keep up....*hopes no one feels slighted*