• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New to this

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Wow! I hope one day soon you host a meeting at your house. Would love to see this in person.

Hahaha that’s very kind. And My wife and I would be happy to show anyone interested in seeing how we utilized such a tight space. But honestly. I know nothing. Just trying to get the most out of the little space I have. That’s why I am here... to learn

No major update. However Rodi is made and in system. (Took longer than I expected) I will let sand settle for a day and run pumps with socks for a day or until water is clear. Then I will add salt... I know it’s just one more step in many more to come but feels real good to finally get water in the tanks

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Sponge,
Mixing salt in tank is possible but it can leave some salt accumulation in filter, on glass, or in sand.
To start would advise buying a 5g bucket from a blue or orange chain store.
Then buy a float like this (shop around a bit, but I have the Eshopps and love it).
The float automatically shuts off the water flow when activated.
Run the RODI to the float and fill the bucket.
Then mix the salt in the bucket with a cheap pump and cheap heater.
The bucket becomes the mixing grounds and you can adjust before adding to the tank.
This will be vital for future water changes.

Remember -
As water is topped off due to evaporation it doesn't have salt added, its just RODI (as salt doesn't evaporate).
As water is changed during water changes you're removing salt water, so you need to replace salt water of the same specs - 5g of 1.026 water must be replaced with 5g of 1.026 water. Adding RODI to the tank and then salt to bring the water up to spec would be disastrous.

I 100 percent Understand and agree
I have a 30 gallon container with a float shut off set up for water changes.
I perhaps mistakenly figured for the first fill it would be simpler to let the RO water go directly into the tank. And then add salt as there is nearly 400 gallons of water in the system. And after that. Premix for water changes. Should I drain the system... pre mix in 30 gallon portions and refill. I do not wish to damage anything Super appreciate the input. Thank you so much

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I 100 percent Understand and agree
I have a 30 gallon container with a float shut off set up for water changes.
I perhaps mistakenly figured for the first fill it would be simpler to let the RO water go directly into the tank. And then add salt as there is nearly 400 gallons of water in the system. And after that. Premix for water changes. Should I drain the system... pre mix in 30 gallon portions and refill. I do not wish to damage anything Super appreciate the input. Thank you so much

HA! You're working on a much larger scale than I am. Sounds like you've got it all under control. No need to drain, all is well, I just have nano systems in my head.

Display is only 100 gallons. The rest is just more old used tanks I hobbled together primarily for volume/stability. It was that or let them continue to take up space and gather dust in the basement.

Salt is in tank. Present salinity is 1.025
Giving it a day of circulation before I see if I should adjust it. Am I correct that I am shooting for 1.026?
Also. I have started the cycle on many fresh water tanks with a raw shrimp ((the kind you eat)) I assume that’s fine in salt but I have never had 400 gallons of water to work with. Do you all think I should use a few given the volume or is one fine. Or do you recommend a different meathod to kick start the cycle.

I like just adding pure ammonia. 100% pure ammonia, (sold for cleaning). It worked well for me. There are many ways, including the rotting meat method you are using. With pure ammonia you don’t have to wait for decomposition.

Dose and test. Bring the ammonia level up to somewhere around 2 or 3 ppm. Picture below is what I used for 50 gal. As you can see. I didn’t use much at all.

Attachments

• 3A5E19BC-B401-4980-85C7-F03F4BD25170.jpeg
    3A5E19BC-B401-4980-85C7-F03F4BD25170.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:

deepblue68

POTM Winner
I found this to be helpful when dosing ammonia some good information even if you don't use the product. I would recommend adding some kind of start up bacteria it speeds the process up.
I used the shrimp method to produce ammonia when I was cycling my tank.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The bought bacteria speeds up the process. The same bacteria happens naturally, for free. It’s optional. Bad batches of bottled bacteria are common due to handling and storage. Freezing or excessive heat makes it unviable. Get it from place that sells it in large volume, so it doesn’t sit on a shelf too long. It doesn’t hurt to get express shipping when your ready to use it.

Hello all. I have a question about evaporation. Our system is roughly 400 gallons plumbed thru six separate tanks and a mile of PVC. I have monitored the evaporation rate for several days and have found we need to replace almost exactly five gallons every 24 hours.
1. Is this normal?
2. Would it be a good idea to cover as many of the tanks as we can to reduce evaporation
3. Is evaporation good / bad / indifferent
4. Any advice would be awesome