• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Oil Spill in the Gulf of Mexico

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
greed and radicalism...either one can destroy the world...I hope these rumors are unfounded...

rod

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
rodclement said:
Now there is talk on the news about sabotage...what are we getting to in the world when someone would sink a plant, kill people, and destroy the environment just to make a point against offshore drilling?

I hope this proves not to be the case, I like o think humans are basically good...very sad...

rod
someone would have to go down almost one mile to do that.. I think people who are talking about sabotage are either trying to make a excuse or should be wearing a tin foil hat

The_Codfather said:
I was listening to NPR on my way home the other day and they was talking about chemical dispersants that BP are using. Professor Ronald Tjeerdema (Aquatic Toxicologist, University of California Davis) was talking about how the dispersants do more harm then the oil
If you have time to listen I was lucky to find the story http://www.npr.org/templates/player/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=126511350&m=126511335

I didn't get to listen. But didn't Australia use the same disbursants when the tanker ran onto the reef? And those reefs are much more delicate.

Well the bell didnt work so now the next option is the 2nd well they started drilling. I think they said its around 9000 feet down already. Bad news is it could take up to 2 months to finish the well and connections and etc. Even worse news.... They can only say it " MIGHT " work! Like i said this is sickening. How much more oil is in this well? Bp should be outta business after this one. Or the right people should should put them outta business, either one

What a disaster. SO sad. And I can almost guarantee that this wont put BP out. I bet almost nothing gets done after this. The oil companies own america, theyd rather see the country go under before they stop pumping oil and making profits. Which, by the way things are going, might just happen. Sickening.

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You know what scares me more? The fact that BP is making inroads in purchasing some of the biggest sucar cane plantations in Brasil. Pretty soon they can become the world leader in bio-fuels and then control both, the oil and the "eco friendly" alternative or eco-fuels!

Rod

Always liked costner. But you have to look at it 2 ways. Great idea by him. Awesome he invested his own money, and time into it. But why would he possibly want to have such a machine? He purchased the technology after exxon - valdez. There are 20 built, functional units already and this is the first i heard of them. So basically he waiting for another disaster to release them so he can sell them at a huge profit? The only thing these are useful for are oil spills.

Hey dont get me wrong its great that he has such a machine, actually he has 20 of them thats even better. But i think its more of a business thing for him, not like hes out there on his own boat with one of these things workin day and night to clean the oil up.

I also think That the government should force bp to buy them for an absurd price and try them. Or the government should start takin care of the spill and charge bp for every man hour. Who knows maybe costner will sell all of these things then donate the money to some organization or chairity. Like i said dont get me wrong not trying to bash the guy i like him. Tin Cup is still one of my favs. But when someone invests 24 million of their own money Im sure they're expectin it to bring in big bucks. HAHAHA Maybe he sabotaged the oil rig in the first place?

no doubt he will see a huge return on the investment which is great. after valdez i think he saw an oppurtunity to do two things, do good and clean up the mess and make a little cash at teh same time. now he might donate like you said or improve the technology. The thing is he's not waiting for another disaster but based on the amount of oil moved across or near bodies of water and the age of most machinery these days, a spill is bound to happen. and I liked Dance's with wolves, field of dreams and Frequency among others.

Ah field of dreams is a classic. Its def a good thing what hes doin. Dances wit wolves goes with mention. Actually hes due for a movie

Let me complete my costner list.. Untouchables, The guardian, The bodyguard, For love of the game, Bull durham, Robin hood. Man i forgot he had so many great flicks!

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I am jus glad there is another chance to resolve this mess...

worst movie ever made...waterworld...

rod

But it spurred the Development of his oil Scrubber. Anywho. A live Web feed is available from BP and numerous blogs of the Sea floor leak. i cant get to it from work and some say the traffic has crashed the site a few times.

They are trying to figure out how to get the oil out of the marshes either by burning the marshes out or using microbes to eat the oil.( Really good idea actually, where i work they have "bugs" that turn all kinds of chemicals into treated water.)

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ken and I spoke about the oil spill yesterday during our drive from the airport, while I will not go into details about his views since it goes into politics, etc. He did say there is concern for Florida but not as much as previously antecipated, tar balls in the mangroves and clean-up expected but reefes should all be safe.

I guess it is sort of good news.

Rod

If Costner has paid a bunch of scientists to resolve a problem, and now after many years and lots of money this is going to pay off, I say "good for him".

If he did this looking for his big pay day, well...welcome to America.

I could care less if he keeps all of the money for himself (and partners).  Our country has become what it is because people took chances, and put up the money to stand behind their ideas.

Oh...and waterworld sucked!!!  ;)

i was going to keep my mouth shut - lol but i can't help myself.

Dan Costner (his brother) is one of those "scientists". This "invention" was actually developed by the US gov't. They either copied or procured the rights to the patent and tweaked it.

I read an interesting counterpoint on discoverynews - the "invention" separates diesal from water but that is not necessarily the same as crude oil from saltwater. But kevin costner's name would help to sell the equipment.