• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Oil Spill in the Gulf of Mexico

costner's equipment is in use as of this morning. we'll see i guess. and yes he bought the patent out and did additional work to it.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
They are reporting that the top-kill worked and the oil has stopped flowing. Let's hope this holds.

mnat said:
They are reporting that the top-kill worked and the oil has stopped flowing. Let's hope this holds.

Definitely hasn't stopped flowing...unfortunately. The latest report is that it seems to be working and they are cautiously optimistic. If you go to the video site, you can see the oil still spewing out! :'(

i read today that woods hole research (on the exaggerated far scale) said that it *could* be up to one million gallons a day. That would be about 107 million gallons already. In comparison - Valdez was 11 million gallons.

dennis-hopper.jpg

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I heard today that every 5 days is equivalent to 1 Exxon Valdez spill. The are fining BP by the barrel per day and suuposedly up $9.1 billion in fines.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The latest worse case is 40,000 barrels a day at 42 gal a barrel or over 1.6 million a day! Scary.

Bob

Haha, RIP Dennis Hopper. Cleaning up this spill will be something we wont see in our lifetimes. I wouldnt be surprised if its effects are still here 100 years from now.

Audi0s said:
Haha, RIP Dennis Hopper. Cleaning up this spill will be something we wont see in our lifetimes. I wouldnt be surprised if its effects are still here 100 years from now.

Nah. Oil is a natural product, leaks into the gulf naturally every day. It's not plutonium. Nature will deal with it as long as we get the leak stopped.

I think nature will deal with it a long time after a lot of stuff dies. Theyre saying Valdez size spill every 5 days now?!?! I dont think nature was meant to clean this much of a mess up