• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

possible tank upgrade

Well the wife said if we take the knee wall out between the kitchen and family room I could possibly put a tank there as a room divider. Cost is a major factor for construction as it would take away from the money I'd have to invest in the tank. If it costs too much she'll never go for it.

My problem is the tank would sit horizontally on 2 joists which wouldn't be much support. The room I have to work with is 92 X 24. So the tank size would be custom around 360 gallons. I would need input on how to sure up the floor to hold that much weight, would tripling up the 2X10 joists be enough to hold that much weight? there is a doorway and ducking under where the tank would go so this would not be an easy build. What's everyone's thoughts?

Oh and I almost forgot this will not be possible with out a lot of help from fellow NJRC members, I would need people to move the tank and help with adding rock plumbing and so on, also help with the build in a whole. As most of you know I'm disabled and can't do heavy lifting :(

:eek: :eek: Wow, Tom! Those are THE best news I've had in a long time. ;D ;D Count me in with everything you need help with. I may look small and fragile (LOL), but I'm actually quite strong. ;) I'm no carpenter by all means, but I know how to swing a hammer and do some woodworking. And if you guide me, I'll be your hands and feet for anything you need/want me to do. ;)

This will be so awesome! Give Faith a hug for me.

---
Wendy

Thanks Wendy but it's not a definite yet, so far only you and another fiend offered to help. The more I think about it the more discouraged I get. I'm starting to wonder if it's just too much for me to handle. I tossed around the idea of a 265, but it wouldn't look right in that spot. Once I get a idea of whats involved with the support of the floor I'll go to the next step, ordering the tank and starting the demo. I already got the pricing on the custom tank and stuff needed for it. One of the other things I need to find someone to build a stand and canopy that will support the tank. Hopefully I'll know by the end of the week if it will be a go or not.

Wow!! That is great news Tom :D I'm just around the corner, well almost, and I'm more than happy to lend a helping hand/back. ;D

Thanks Eric and nyfire, I'm sure going to need a lot of strong people to move the tank as it's going to be a heavy one ::) I plan on getting it made out of glass.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Tank moves are always well attended, Tom. Hard to say right now if we'll be available when you go to move it, but it goes without saying that we'll be there for the move. Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question about suring up the floor.

Can't wait to follow along. A 360 would be awesome.

Thanks Phyl and Ed, this is definitely a little scary for me right now. I'm hoping to make the dream tank become a reality, it will all depend on the floor and cost of construction.

Ed if possable one day in the near future I'd like to check out yours and Billy's tank to see how you guy's plumbed your tanks. One of things I have to figure out is how to move a ton of water without power heads and plumbing being seen. The tank will be viewable from 3 sides.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
come on over. Steve68 is the man with the 3 sided tanks and the plumbing. Mine is a regular tank with regular plumbing. Billys tank is the one you need to go look at. He has the ocean motions with no power heads. and the floor support. Of course Mike is the man he can do anything. Just have to force him to take money.

Sounds like a great opportunity for a big tank!

Got ant pics of the down stairs? You'll probably need support columns from what you've described.

Ed, Thanks, Mikes been really busy lately and didn't want to bother him till I know 100% that it can be done. I usually bribe him with Faith cooking diner then wait till he's tired and slip him the money ;) that what we did when he installed our slider :)

Bax, no pic's I'll try and take some later, one of the problems is the ducting and doorway for the back room of the basement.

Rich, it will run horizontal and only sit on 2 joists

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I guess I'm misunderstanding. All floor joists are horizontal (laying down). They will either be parallel or perpendicular to the tank. Since you will only have two supporting the tank, I'm assuming the joists will be parallel with the long side of the tank. What is the length of "free span" of the joists? Is it longer then the tank is long? Will one end of the tank be against a bearing wall or a partition? Will the door that's below the tank be directly under the tank or is there some full wall as well? Is there a header above the door? Is the wall below parallel or perpendicular to the floor joists?

Rich, the joists would be parallel to the long side of the tank. One side of the tank was going to be about 4" off the outside wall, the rest of the tank would be in the middle of the room. There is no header or support from the wall with the door in the basement. There is a 1" gas line I forgot about that runs under where the tank will go also ducting and electrical.

Andy was over earlier today and he said I should think about a 265 gallon :( He said it seems easy enough to do. I need to double up 3 joists and build a wall for support. He also said the gas line would need to be cut the pieces removed, reinforce the joists then put the gas line back together with a union. This will be more labor intensive than I first realised.

He also said if I go with a 265, I should box out the end by the outside wall to fit plumbing, electric and so on. If I went that way the whole tank would be in the center of the room. I still would need to do the same amount of work in the basement no matter what tank I put there.

I wish I had Bilco doors, I'd just put it in the basement :(

Here's a crude drawing of the room layout

tanklayout.jpg