• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Power Strip Decisions

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Its a PCS20 and the plug has a L5-30P marking on it... which is weird because the manual says it should be a 20A plug.

Its a PCS20 and the plug has a L5-30P marking on it... which is weird because the manual says it should be a 20A plug.

You will need a L5-30R to plug that in. The PCS20-30L? That strip is a 30A max. So a couple of choices here....you could feed it with a 20 or 15 amp breaker or 30 if you really need it. Wire sizes are as someone else posted earlier. Deal is though, you could keep the existing wiring and breaker if you are not loading up on the PDU at more than 15 amps or 12 amps continuous and would just have to change out the receptacle. You need to know what your house voltage is and you can figure out how many watts max you could load. So say you house voltage is 120V....you would take 120(volts)x12(amps)=1440VA (or watts). I use the continuous amps due to the fact that your loads will not really be intermittent on the circuit (i.e. pumps run 24/7 and lights run more than 1 hour at a time etc.). To avoid breaker nuisance trips you only supposed to load a breaker to 80% it's capacity.

Is the plug molded onto the cord or are there screws on the strain relief? According to the book the unit is rated, and fused for 20A. If the plug has screws, maybe someone replaced the 20A plug(L5-20P) with the L5-30P so it could be used on a 30A circuit(L5-30R). If so, you could replace the 30amp L5-30P with a 20amp L5-20P, and assuming you have a 20A service in your dining room replace the the standard 5-20R duplex with a single L5-20R, and be good to go.

If the existing receptacle pin arrangement looks like this, you shouldn't wire a 20 amp device to it:

15A_zpsc892f3f5.jpg

If the pin arrangement looks like this, then you should be able to kill the power to it, and replace it with the L5-20R:

20A_zps9f1d3b06.jpg

Last edited:
If you can change tge plug I would not even bother with using a locking plug and cord set. L stands for locking and unless you are that worried about it being unplugged don't spend the extra money.

OK, time to throw a monkey wrench into this picture...

I forgot that I was recently given a Raritan PCS20 Remote Power Control Unit, which I think would be ideal for my situation. It has 20 outlets that can be remotely controlled via a computer over the internet!

Only 2 problems though:

1. I think it needs a hard wire connection to my router, and it would take a bit of work to get a wire installed for it.

2. The power plug on the end of it is a 115VAC, 50/60 Hz, 20A 3-prong plug that would go into an outlet like this. For $13, I would be willing to buy one of those and change the outlet near the tank, but I don't know much about electric and doubt it would be a simple replacement. I would think it might need different gauge wiring and definitely need a new breaker since this is 20A and most normal outlets are 15A.

Anyone care to comment on how hard/easy it would be to install one of these outlets near my tank? If push came to shove, I could run an Ethernet cable under the carpet to manage the strip.

The other caveat is that I don't even know if this thing still works or is broken. My friend that gave it to me found it at a yard sale or something so I'd hate to do all this conversion work only to find out it's a dud. Does anyone that lives near me (Blackwood) have one of these 3-prong outlets that I could test it on?

Since I assume your issue is that your tank isn't really all that close to your router, you should check out one of those devices that transmits your internet signal via your existing electrical wiring. It's basically a little device you plug into an outlet next to your router with a ethernet cable running from your router to the outlet and 2nd device plugged in near your tank with another ethernet cable running out from that to your power strip unit.

Here's a random example I picked out on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-85Mbps-Powerline-Network-Adapter/dp/B001AZUTCS

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That's pretty interesting. Thanks for the info and link. I decided I'm not going to use the long power strip because I don't want to bother with switching out electrical outlets, etc. However, that might come in handy if I want to convert my Reef Angel controller from WiFi to wired ethernet.

That's pretty interesting. Thanks for the info and link. I decided I'm not going to use the long power strip because I don't want to bother with switching out electrical outlets, etc. However, that might come in handy if I want to convert my Reef Angel controller from WiFi to wired ethernet.

They're pretty cool devices. It's def a lot easier to plug a couple of these into your outlets than it is to run cables through the walls. Especially with the way a lot of new accessories are all coming out with wifi capabilities, be it for our reefs, entertainment systems, thermostats and even kitchen appliances! Everything is going to be connected to the internet soon and these things are a super easy way to hardwire a device to your home network.