• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sad news for the reefing community...

This is a perfect example of "journalism" by editing. What I mean is that the reporter took out pieces of only the bad news. Read the entire report here:

http://www.gbrmpa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/40739/Outlook_InBrief_WEB.pdf

It's fascinating (at least the executive summary is - i didn't read the full 34 pages yet).

That stated, I am not disputing the concern we should all have for the environment. It's just annoying to sometimes read media doomsday predictions.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I was just calling attention to the article because I thought the premise was a concern for all of us here. Whether it's true or not I don't know, but at the minimum it's something that should't be ignored.

Thanks for brining the subject up. I think that the effect of global warming on oceans is something we should all be better informed about.

I seems to me that the effect on sealife is unpredictable. As avg. temps rise, certain existing reefs will be severely damaged. However, zones which currently do not support reefs may become able to do so. Wouldn't it be amazing if in a distant future, we find something like the great barrier reef off the coast of New Jersey rather than Australia?

One really depressing thing is acidification of oceans. As average pH drops, anything with a calcium carbonate skeleton will be in big trouble. Unlike the case with temp, it is hard to imagine how corals will escape this problem.

tydtran said:
Wouldn't it be amazing if in a distant future, we find something like the great barrier reef off the coast of New Jersey rather than Australia?

LOL. If they start now, it will be done in only 10,000 years!

All humor aside, good points.