• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Salt Suggestions

Hello every one, i was wondering what kind of salt is everyone using on there tanks? The reason why im asking is because i want to change my salt. at the moment i have been using a salt that my buddy of mine gave which he didnt tell me what it was but it was a white box that was rated up to 160G. The salt that i have been using hasnt been giving any good salinity ppt results every time i use it on my tank. if i change to another salt brand while there be any effect on my parameters? Also how many cups should i do to make saltwater for a 55G and a 5G?

hello every one, i was wondering what kind of salt is everyone using? The reason that im asking is because i want to change my salt. at the moment i have been using a salt that my buddy of mine gave which he didnt tell me what it was. But it was a white box that was rated up to 160G. Also how many cups should i do to make saltwater for a 55G and a 5G.

You should read the container and it will give you directions on how much salt to add. Then you have to test the water and the either add more salt or RO to get to the right salinity. I use Reef Crystals right now and it calls for 1/2 cup for 1 gallon.

I am thinking of Switching to ESV if i can get it cheap enough in my area...

You should read the container and it will give you directions on how much salt to add. Then you have to test the water and the either add more salt or RO to get to the right salinity. I use Reef Crystals right now and it calls for 1/2 cup for 1 gallon.

I am thinking of Switching to ESV if i can get it cheap enough in my area...

dude when i got the salt it didn't have not instruction on how to use it just how many gallons it was rated up too. As far ESV salt imo i find that difficult to use

dude when i got the salt it didn't have not instruction on how to use it just how many gallons it was rated up too. As far ESV salt imo i find that difficult to use

ESV not hard to use... Just have to mix it just like any other, but you have to mix in the other supplements.. That salt mixes clean..

Why don't you take one gallon of ro and add 1/2 cup of salt to it. make sure it mixes, then test it...

i use brightwells neo marine salt. LOVE IT!!! mixes so easily, i mean literally can be used as soon as the water is heated up, and levels are right on...

i make 5 gallon buckets at a time, which i use 4- 1/2cup scoops. mixes out to a perfect 1.026

ive tried a lot of other brands and this brand is the best i have used so far

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hello every one, i was wondering what kind of salt is everyone using on there tanks? The reason why im asking is because i want to change my salt. at the moment i have been using a salt that my buddy of mine gave which he didnt tell me what it was but it was a white box that was rated up to 160G. The salt that i have been using hasnt been giving any good salinity ppt results every time i use it on my tank. if i change to another salt brand while there be any effect on my parameters? Also how many cups should i do to make saltwater for a 55G and a 5G?
What temp are you mixing at?.. it should be the same temp as the tank so you'll have the same salinity

i use brightwells neo marine salt. LOVE IT!!! mixes so easily, i mean literally can be used as soon as the water is heated up, and levels are right on...

i make 5 gallon buckets at a time, which i use 4- 1/2cup scoops. mixes out to a perfect 1.026

ive tried a lot of other brands and this brand is the best i have used so far

im reading bout that brand of salt right now. but how long have you been using that salt for?

Add me to the ESV bandwagon, I used it on my 180 and saw awesome growth and it was pretty easy to use after the first few times!

Add me to the ESV bandwagon, I used it on my 180 and saw awesome growth and it was pretty easy to use after the first few times!

really? i might take that offer brandon...but how did the fish react to the esv salt when you used it? unless the esv salt was your first salt that you used? when you was using this salt did you use anything else to mix the esv? over you just used the esv salt with out mixing nothing?

Last edited:
Regular or the pro, Tropic Marin will always b the champ. Failed me once in 10 years, i got 1 bad batch last yr so i tried about every other top salt out there. Tried io and rc too but my coral didnt like the higher alk very much. Now guess what im using, yup...... t pro. And after using all the rest like when i started the hobby, i see again it is King.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
at moment i have purchased a ro/di alright but its getting fixed by a njrc member in here. so i have been using tap water with stress coat to kill the chlorine.
And the temp of the water when you mix the salt with tap water is?
pulling-teeth.jpg

at moment i have purchased a ro/di alright but its getting fixed by a njrc member in here. so i have been using tap water with stress coat to kill the chlorine.

NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!!!! Stress coat does nothing for the other crap in the water. You are filling your tank with TDS... Once it is in there, hard to get out, and you may have a prob with it leeching out!! Go back to RO!!!