• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Seahorses

Glad it's still around. It is probably just trying rest and recover after a rock falling on it and then antibiotics. I would keep him in QT for two weeks before consider putting him back.
But I’m wondering how long do I keep medicating him for,, I believe I have enough for four more days not positive I’ll have to check it out

But I’m wondering how long do I keep medicating him for,, I believe I have enough for four more days not positive I’ll have to check it out

OK I’m going to throw this out there and please do not beat me up.
I’m thinking about sniping off the infected part of the seahorses tail to prevent the infection from traveling up further.
He’s going to lose that piece anyway and I know they can survive with pieces of their tail missing it happens all the time in the ocean but I just don’t know it seems like a very off-the-wall extreme measure. In my mind I know he is destined to die anyway from this infection but in my heart I have to try everything I could possibly think of to save his life
Please don’t ever think that I would intentionally do anything cruel to harm a seahorse they give me more smiles then the wife does. Also anybody that knows anything about me knows how I feel about them
And yes I know it’s not like a salamander it’s not going to grow back,,but if it removes the infection then it will not travel up the rest of him,,that is my train of thought and why I would think to just get rid of it,kind of like they do when a person with diabetes gets gain green and the doctors have to curoff a foot or a toe. Again folks I would never intentionally do anything cruel to Seahorse

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Personally I would not do this for two reasons:
1) What if you don't get the entire infected area cut off and it still spreads?
2) If you cut it off what about the seahorses internal system? Will it bleed to death or you cut something you're not aware of.
We aren't medically trained for these procedures so I would just keep treating the infection.

Personally I would not do this for two reasons:
1) What if you don't get the entire infected area cut off and it still spreads?
2) If you cut it off what about the seahorses internal system? Will it bleed to death or you cut something you're not aware of.
We aren't medically trained for these procedures so I would just keep treating the infection.

I totally understand all that and just so everybody knows it was just a thought that was going through my head of things that I could do to possibly get rid of the infection so it doesn’t spread but I would never ever do that procedure I’m not that cruel

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I read that using any of these help.

Triple sulfa, furan 2,Tetracycline, and Erythromycin . These are antibacterial medications that can be used to treat mouth fungus or snout/tail rot, as well as other bacterial infections.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I’m thinking about sniping off the infected part of the seahorses tail to prevent the infection from traveling up further.

This is not a good idea.
I speak from experience. My wife had a fungal infection on her big toe and I amputated her foot. I had forgotten about the excruciating pain, all the ateries, veins, bones, and nerves and things in there and it didn't work out very OK.

Get a general antibiotic, start with tetracycline or whatever the local shop has for fin rot (tetracycline, oxytetracycline, the green one (malachite?), or methyl blue).
API Melafix is a worthwhile dose after the antibiotic treatments to work on the bacteria in the water.
My main clown had some fin rot. Did a run of tetra, followed by Melafix, in the main tank. Clown recovered and no further infestation on other fish, that was over a year ago.

Had I poured some of that on my wife's foot instead of amputating...

Last edited:
This is not a good idea.
I speak from experience. My wife had a fungal infection on her big toe and I amputated her foot. I had forgotten about the excruciating pain, all the ateries, veins, bones, and nerves and things in there and it didn't work out very OK.

Get a general antibiotic, start with tetracycline or whatever the local shop has for fin rot (tetracycline, oxytetracycline, the green one (malachite?), or methyl blue).
API Melafix is a worthwhile dose after the antibiotic treatments to work on the bacteria in the water.
My main clown had some fin rot. Did a run of tetra, followed by Melafix, in the main tank. Clown recovered and no further infestation on other fish, that was over a year ago.

Had I poured some of that on my wife's foot instead of amputating...
Lol funny wife story,, anyway the tail problem wasn’t caused by bad water it was because I dropped a boulder on him and crushed a little guy when I got the Boulder awesome there was a little Seahorse imprint in my pebbles like a cartoon I’m surprised his eyeballs didn’t pop out and he’s looking much better now physically wise he’s eating and swimming and itching but he’s definitely going to lose a nice little piece of tail I always hate when I lose a piece of good tail

Lol funny wife story,, anyway the tail problem wasn’t caused by bad water it was because I dropped a boulder on him and crushed a little guy when I got the Boulder awesome there was a little Seahorse imprint in my pebbles like a cartoon I’m surprised his eyeballs didn’t pop out and he’s looking much better now physically wise he’s eating and swimming and itching but he’s definitely going to lose a nice little piece of tail I always hate when I lose a piece of good tail
Been treating with furan ll and tri sulfa

Took a pic of my lonely ponie in hospital trauma unit due to boulder crush
What is happening my seahorse junkies I hope everybody is well and I hope that all of your ponies are well also,, It’s been a little while since I’ve updated anything on this thread so just to let you know what’s been going on my tank is finally coming back to life and looking really good and I’m so happy everything just seems to be working out so far I have given away a lot of ponies in the past few months I believe 11 total but with me it is fine because I just got five new ones today I’m so excited they’re all about maybe 2 inches big just a bunch a little ones and I am just excited to have them and watch them grow into adults in my tank
I still have two or three more that I could give to somebody if they wanted them so if anybody out there wants a seahorse hit me up