• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Seahorses

I’ve been hearing that old crap about number of seahorses in a tank ever since I started on both of these sites back in December truth of the matter is Seahorse are a community fish, they like to hang together for safety as far as needing a tall tank so they can swim up and down also crap,maybe it’s just my horses but it seems to me they spend 99% of their time down low at the bottom And the number of horses in a tank thing is all about poop it’s just people that don’t want to keep up on their maintenance religiously for the comfort of the horses. (Oh by way just my opinion)
When I had my big horses, I had a constant problem with bubble which is a bacteria problem. I did frequent water changes. I only had 2 in a 20 gallon with a 10 gallon fuge so talking from my experience. Bacteria infections were the most discussed problem on the seahorse forum.
I think you are the unusual and lucky one because of the access to real Ocean water. (and if I had a bigger tank I would take you up on the ponies and ocean water :chuncky: ) The breeding farm in Hawaii has their facility linked directly to the ocean.
The height is mainly because they like to swim up and down while mating. Mine was 20 xhigh tank and they used to go all over the tank...top and bottom. By the way, the dwarfs stay mostly on the bottom too.
The one big girl I had used to dance to get my attention to feed her :smile: I do miss the bigger seahorses.

When I had my big horses, I had a constant problem with bubble which is a bacteria problem. I did frequent water changes. I only had 2 in a 20 gallon with a 10 gallon fuge so talking from my experience. Bacteria infections were the most discussed problem on the seahorse forum.
I think you are the unusual and lucky one because of the access to real Ocean water. (and if I had a bigger tank I would take you up on the ponies and ocean water :chuncky: ) The breeding farm in Hawaii has their facility linked directly to the ocean.
The height is mainly because they like to swim up and down while mating. Mine was 20 xhigh tank and they used to go all over the tank...top and bottom. By the way, the dwarfs stay mostly on the bottom too.
The one big girl I had used to dance to get my attention to feed her :smile: I do miss the bigger seahorses.
Ever since I got the deeper tank I have been feeding with a long tube with a funnel attached to the one end, i just pour it in and the food goes down and hits the bottom when they see the tube come into the water they all bum rush it it is so funny it looks like a real stampede a horses
They wrap their tails all around the tube and the one time one was a little anxious and swim up the tube it was the funniest thing because when I poured all the food and water into the funnel it smacked him right in the face and just shot them across to tank I’m going to take a video tonight when I feed them or at least some pictures and post them

Ever since I got the deeper tank I have been feeding with a long tube with a funnel attached to the one end, i just pour it in and the food goes down and hits the bottom when they see the tube come into the water they all bum rush it it is so funny it looks like a real stampede a horses
They wrap their tails all around the tube and the one time one was a little anxious and swim up the tube it was the funniest thing because when I poured all the food and water into the funnel it smacked him right in the face and just shot them across to tank I’m going to take a video tonight when I feed them or at least some pictures and post them
Quick pic of ponies waiting for food

Attachments

• 08C56F66-A76D-43C8-AA20-0B6F3A09E521.png
    08C56F66-A76D-43C8-AA20-0B6F3A09E521.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 1

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I turn off the filter and let the power head disperse them all around. To me the ponies like to hunt them down.
That being said ding maintenance the water and substrate get very dirty. I am considering some sort of feeding station to limit waste.

How does one feed ponies? Just broad cast food or a special way is better?
Best way is to train them to a feeding station. I had a tube attached to the corner of my tank that went to a large deep shell. I would put the thawed, rinsed mysis in turkey baster and push it down the tube to the shell. When I did my water changes, I would run a brush thru the tube and suck the water out with the turkey baster.
They would sit waiting at the shell or follow the food as it was going down the tube.
This way you can also see how much they eat and either limit or add amount... take out any uneaten.
It is not good for them to eat off the bottom sand because they can accidentally ingest sand. In the wild they eat live that doesn't settle on the sand.

IMG_0202.JPG

Best way is to train them to a feeding station. I had a tube attached to the corner of my tank that went to a large deep shell. I would put the thawed, rinsed mysis in turkey baster and push it down the tube to the shell. When I did my water changes, I would run a brush thru the tube and suck the water out with the turkey baster.
They would sit waiting at the shell or follow the food as it was going down the tube.
This way you can also see how much they eat and either limit or add amount... take out any uneaten.
It is not good for them to eat off the bottom sand because they can accidentally ingest sand. In the wild they eat live that doesn't settle on the sand.

View attachment 28559
Love to see pics of seahorses best way to put smile on your face

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Have to say thanks to Dee for reminding to rinse. Such a huge difference. The net I have is great for the Mysis will see about the Brine Shrimp.
I am talking frozen foods by the way.

Have to say thanks to Dee for reminding to rinse. Such a huge difference. The net I have is great for the Mysis will see about the Brine Shrimp.
I am talking frozen foods by the way.
It’s been a while since I put something on this thread,well it seems that I just might lose Seahorse,,,the other night when my tank fell apart he got crushed by a boulder not just a rock it was a boulder, anyway when I pick the Boulder up he took off pretty good so I paid no attention this morning I noticed his tail did not look so good and then this afternoon he was just laying on the bottom on the side not doing anything which they never do anyway I touched him and he got up swam away an hour later he was right back to the same thing I have him in a hospital tank now and I put the proper treatment in there the tri-sulfur and furan ll,, Because it definitely looks like he was getting the start of tail rot Anyway he’s not looking good up there I feel for him and it’s my fault and that’s the worst part I don’t do really good with guilt anyway to be honest I don’t expect him to make it till tomorrow but fingers crossed

I’m breast feeding them/ just playing they eat frozen mysis and brine shrimp and once a week I make live brine for a treat

A quick update on my little buddy that is in hospital Tank
Today he’s actually looking a bit frisky here moving around more actively hunting and looking for food and eating which is great and his tail is not as white as it was before it looks a little darker but I still believe he’ll lose a piece and he will be like a little stumpy Junior
I’m continuing with the medication treatments which I believe he does not like but it just might be working fingers are still crossed losing one of my ponies is always devastating because I am attached to each and everyone of them

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
A quick update on my little buddy that is in hospital Tank
Today he’s actually looking a bit frisky here moving around more actively hunting and looking for food and eating which is great and his tail is not as white as it was before it looks a little darker but I still believe he’ll lose a piece and he will be like a little stumpy Junior
I’m continuing with the medication treatments which I believe he does not like but it just might be working fingers are still crossed losing one of my ponies is always devastating because I am attached to each and everyone of them

Well been 3 half days in hospital tank and he’s eating and still breathing,, but very lazy doesn’t move much (sometimes I poke him to make sure he’s alive) when I poke him he takes off quickly looking good,, then right back to laying on gravel just breathing little heavier than usual,, fingers crossed still
Been medicating daily / Tri Sulfa,,Furan ll

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Glad it's still around. It is probably just trying rest and recover after a rock falling on it and then antibiotics. I would keep him in QT for two weeks before consider putting him back.