• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Seahorses

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I’m ashamed to say I didn’t try to save any this time. I just left the Filtration deal with the Filtration does and hopefully maybe one or two or behind the rocks it will survive who knows but honestly just don’t have the resources or the time to try and raise him please don’t kill me with backlash people I know

Just if you had many babies and they died can throw your tank off with parameters. Dead animals cause nitrate and phosphate to increase and algae can set in. Keep an eye on everything.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
And all those copepods you have. If it was warmer out, I'd suggest you putting them back into the marsh.

True but so small I would raise them to larger than put them back.
I did this years ago with Diamond Back terrapins. She walked pretty far to my yard and laid bunch of eggs. Ants had a field day eating them. My son dug them up placed in an incubator and 15 hatched, apx. We hung on to them cause time of year to release was poor. Nice weather came and off they went.

I did this years ago with Diamond Back terrapins. She walked pretty far to my yard and laid bunch of eggs. Ants had a field day eating them. My son dug them up placed in an incubator and 15 hatched, apx. We hung on to them cause time of year to release was poor. Nice weather came and off they went.
That’s awesome

Not easy raising them until larger, that is why they have better chance being let go.
Don't feel bad Paulie, it's the facts of life. Maybe if you have your lights on less they will realize it's winter... but then can't enjoy the tank.

Not easy raising them until larger, that is why they have better chance being let go.
Don't feel bad Paulie, it's the facts of life. Maybe if you have your lights on less they will realize it's winter... but then can't enjoy the tank.
So just throwing this out there anybody interested in a pregnancy horse that has the ability education that knows how to do it and raise the freight it’s up for free if you’re interested because what’s happening kills me it’s the one thing I didn’t think about what I put this thing together with the best of all intentions

So just throwing this out there anybody interested in a pregnancy horse that has the ability education that knows how to do it and raise the freight it’s up for free if you’re interested because what’s happening kills me it’s the one thing I didn’t think about what I put this thing together with the best of all intentions
Frye

Het Deetu how are those Dwarfs doin??
Well, I counted 32 but not sure if I missed any lol.
I have them in the 2.5 gallon because I caused an ammonia spike in the 7.5 trying to make sure the sexy shrimp were fed... moved sexies back to the 20 gallon. I started to take the water and poop from the small tank and exchange it for the water in the 7.5. This way the 7.5 will be used to the bioload once I move them back and also so I don't have to keep wasting new water putting into 2.5 gallon tank. (I used distilled water for my mix)
Remember dwarfs don't hunt and wait for the food to float past so I would have had to hatch more bbs in order to keep it going.
20200318_081833.jpg

Well, I counted 32 but not sure if I missed any lol.
I have them in the 2.5 gallon because I caused an ammonia spike in the 7.5 trying to make sure the sexy shrimp were fed... moved sexies back to the 20 gallon. I started to take the water and poop from the small tank and exchange it for the water in the 7.5. This way the 7.5 will be used to the bioload once I move them back and also so I don't have to keep wasting new water putting into 2.5 gallon tank. (I used distilled water for my mix)
Remember dwarfs don't hunt and wait for the food to float past so I would have had to hatch more bbs in order to keep it going.
View attachment 28392
That is just unbelievably cute stupid little critters make a big guy like me turn all mushy

I wish they swam around more. Most times they just hide, stay near the bottom and wait for their food to pass by. That was why I put the sexy shrimp in there, thinking they would stay more toward the top so had something to watch up there... they didn't. They also hid :uncomfortableness:
I've been getting grief from the dwarf site I'm on for having so many in a tiny tank but it is working so... it is what it is and is temporary.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I wish they swam around more. Most times they just hide, stay near the bottom and wait for their food to pass by. That was why I put the sexy shrimp in there, thinking they would stay more toward the top so had something to watch up there... they didn't. They also hid :uncomfortableness:
I've been getting grief from the dwarf site I'm on for having so many in a tiny tank but it is working so... it is what it is and is temporary.

Is that FB site. They whine way to much IMO. I get what they say about seahorses being dirty so bigger is better, they need height, etc. But for now they are babies and if the tank maintenance is being done diligently just ignore them. You seem to be well so what that does say.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member

Is that FB site. They whine way to much IMO. I get what they say about seahorses being dirty so bigger is better, they need height, etc. But for now they are babies and if the tank maintenance is being done diligently just ignore them. You seem to be well so what that does say.

It is a FB site dedicated to dwarfs, babies aren't separated from adults, but I can understand having a larger tank has better water quality but couple of us are saying that if have only few ponies, it is easier to keep them fed in smaller tank even though you have to spend more time on keeping clean.

It is a FB site dedicated to dwarfs, babies aren't separated from adults, but I can understand having a larger tank has better water quality but couple of us are saying that if have only few ponies, it is easier to keep them fed in smaller tank even though you have to spend more time on keeping clean.
I’ve been hearing that old crap about number of seahorses in a tank ever since I started on both of these sites back in December truth of the matter is Seahorse are a community fish, they like to hang together for safety as far as needing a tall tank so they can swim up and down also crap,maybe it’s just my horses but it seems to me they spend 99% of their time down low at the bottom And the number of horses in a tank thing is all about poop it’s just people that don’t want to keep up on their maintenance religiously for the comfort of the horses. (Oh by way just my opinion)