• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Seahorses

Hob is off only aerater

So I did an extensive water test today because of the fact that I have so many corals and Frags going they weren’t that bad but they weren’t perfect either my magnesium and my calcium were just a little bit low and my phosphates were a little high I did the proper dosing for the calcium and magnesium and then went and got what I needed to take care of my phosphates I put it in there this evening it says leaving for two days so will check again

Honestly im still amazed, you have kinda proven a point without even realizing it yet... and honestly I cant wait to see the long term effects it will have... guess your wondering what I'm talking about...

So not only do you have zoas, and shrooms in the tank, you have leathers, gorgonians, and various other polyp based soft corals. ...But you also have a couple of sps. You have a lepto and a digitata. My amazement is NOT from the fact that paulie as keeping coral alive just a couple months after learning that you can have a saltwater tank with more than colored gravel and plastic plants. Lol. Or the fact that his tank is thriving despite that many have told him it was impossible... none of that surprises me.
What surprised the heck out of me is that all these corals are doing amazing and the tank is only 72°, sometimes less, but yet all the corals are multiplying, have great PE and are doing great. I know alot of us are used to keeping our tanks at higher temps, I keep mine right at 77.5-78° I know others that keep it higher. But rarely do you ever hear of lower temps being kept. I am really curious as the the long term effects on the system as they continue to grow and mature in this environment.
Should be really interesting to watch, since this is basically low temp, low flow, food rich, yet nutrient poor environment...

Keep up the food work brother, bc were all watching youuu

Honestly im still amazed, you have kinda proven a point without even realizing it yet... and honestly I cant wait to see the long term effects it will have... guess your wondering what I'm talking about...

So not only do you have zoas, and shrooms in the tank, you have leathers, gorgonians, and various other polyp based soft corals. ...But you also have a couple of sps. You have a lepto and a digitata. My amazement is NOT from the fact that paulie as keeping coral alive just a couple months after learning that you can have a saltwater tank with more than colored gravel and plastic plants. Lol. Or the fact that his tank is thriving despite that many have told him it was impossible... none of that surprises me.
What surprised the heck out of me is that all these corals are doing amazing and the tank is only 72°, sometimes less, but yet all the corals are multiplying, have great PE and are doing great. I know alot of us are used to keeping our tanks at higher temps, I keep mine right at 77.5-78° I know others that keep it higher. But rarely do you ever hear of lower temps being kept. I am really curious as the the long term effects on the system as they continue to grow and mature in this environment.
Should be really interesting to watch, since this is basically low temp, low flow, food rich, yet nutrient poor environment...

Keep up the food work brother, bc were all watching youuu
Thanks for vote of confidence brother, but I could not of gotten this far without ur help and the fact that you’ve educated me on so many different things concerning Aquarium care, but u did it with patience and understanding knowing that I don’t know much about it and not once ever said go look it up or figure it out yourself. You showed lots of patience especially when I ask same questions a couple of times.
Also you’ve hooked me up with so many frags we can all my tank Morortrendz 2.0
Can never thank you enough. Your a good man n human being

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I was keeping my tank temp at 79 and a little over a month ago I dropped it to 76. I noticed 2 things:

1) Algae seems less or growing slower.
2) My chili pepper coral that I said died from being covered in brown algae. Well I noticed over the weekend it's starting to come back. The back edge is turning green with red eyes. I can see the red eyes through the brown algae as well.

Now is this from the temp change or something else?

I was keeping my tank temp at 79 and a little over a month ago I dropped it to 76. I noticed 2 things:

1) Algae seems less or growing slower.
2) My chili pepper coral that I said died from being covered in brown algae. Well I noticed over the weekend it's starting to come back. The back edge is turning green with red eyes. I can see the red eyes through the brown algae as well.

Now is this from the temp change or something else?
Humm... just realized that my new tank has some more algae on the glass then the old one did and I was able to up the temp in that tank... think I'll drop it a bit and see how it goes :oo:

Humm... just realized that my new tank has some more algae on the glass then the old one did and I was able to up the temp in that tank... think I'll drop it a bit and see how it goes :oo:

It can’t really hurt too much and if you notice something off balance put it back up I’m starting to figure out that’s how we learn in this addictive hobby

It can’t really hurt too much and if you notice something off balance put it back up I’m starting to figure out that’s how we learn in this addictive hobby
Dee,You saw my big thing today that is 71 1/2 72 tops never try to go any higher but sometimes it does creep to 72 1/2

Wondered for a second lol
Had babies again this morning when I turned on the light I was like oh geez they were all over the place don’t even know which one it was because there is three or four swimming around in the tank that look like they’re ready to explode anyway looks like I’ll be changing to sock today

Had babies again this morning when I turned on the light I was like oh geez they were all over the place don’t even know which one it was because there is three or four swimming around in the tank that look like they’re ready to explode anyway looks like I’ll be changing to sock today

Attachments

• 95E8BBDD-C9EC-49BA-9265-C865DDC1D11C.jpeg
    95E8BBDD-C9EC-49BA-9265-C865DDC1D11C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • B01018D4-9E8D-4994-AF9A-BB1A35839DFD.jpeg
    B01018D4-9E8D-4994-AF9A-BB1A35839DFD.jpeg
    714.7 KB · Views: 2
  • FB372E1C-A0EF-44B6-9B18-394E010A10F3.jpeg
    FB372E1C-A0EF-44B6-9B18-394E010A10F3.jpeg
    612.7 KB · Views: 2

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Nice. Mine look extremely fat for weeks and nothing so far. Ordered stuff online just in case but keeps getting pushed back.

Good luck bro.

That was why I got two females when I had my big seahorses.
My dwarfs have been having a lot of babies lately. When I moved them from the big tank to the smaller one, I had put 15 into the big tank originally but moved 26 back to the small tank... and found another one in the big tank two days later. I lost one tiny baby.
Have you been able to keep any alive?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Dee, so cool you have that many babies.

Also, you were right that square container is not good for brine shrimp hatching. My water never turned color so only a few shrimp hatched twice. Making a 1 liter hatchery and see if that works better.

Nice. Mine look extremely fat for weeks and nothing so far. Ordered stuff online just in case but keeps getting pushed back.

Good luck bro.
So today I’ve kept myself pretty busy not only did I have to clean up my large tank but I took time to sit back up my 10 gallon tank that I had accidentally made a co-pod farm in weeks ago so I got everything I needed and brought it upstairs I wound up doing a 5 gallon bucket of RODI with a 5 gallon bucket of ocean water you’ll see in the pictures of the tools are used for this project, My system I empty half of the Ocean bucket into the tank using a small scoop and I pour it into a picture through a strainer but before I do that you will notice in the picture a drill with a paddle on it that is basically used to mix paint this paddle I bought brand new and has never touched anything but ocean water so I mix everything very very thoroughly before I start pouring into picture thru strainer. When half of the bucket is empty I will take the RODI water and pour half of that into the bucket with ocean water and mix that thoroughly when all is said and done everything goes into the tank one picture at a time everything through strainer first just in case there’s some chunks it seems like it might be a lot of work but honestly it took me twenty minutes

Attachments

• DC70C264-F949-4637-B6A8-D7F70AE17567.jpeg
    DC70C264-F949-4637-B6A8-D7F70AE17567.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 21451230-DE87-4452-A51D-EAF57B05D4C3.jpeg
    21451230-DE87-4452-A51D-EAF57B05D4C3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 06397531-0415-419E-B377-E499716838FD.jpeg
    06397531-0415-419E-B377-E499716838FD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
How many you manage to save this time?
I’m ashamed to say I didn’t try to save any this time. I just left the Filtration deal with the Filtration does and hopefully maybe one or two or behind the rocks it will survive who knows but honestly just don’t have the resources or the time to try and raise him please don’t kill me with backlash people I know

That was why I got two females when I had my big seahorses.
My dwarfs have been having a lot of babies lately. When I moved them from the big tank to the smaller one, I had put 15 into the big tank originally but moved 26 back to the small tank... and found another one in the big tank two days later. I lost one tiny baby.
Have you been able to keep any alive?
No Dee I did not keep any alive on this try one final guy lasted up to 2 1/2 weeks and then that was it but it made me realize I am definitely not ready for dwarfs anytime soon

you will notice in the picture a drill with a paddle on it that is basically used to mix paint this paddle I bought brand new and has never touched anything but ocean water so I mix everything very very thoroughly before I start pouring into picture thru strainer.
You crack me up but then again, today I was missing the powerhead that burned out on me that did the mixing in my container.