• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

setting skimmer HELP

I just purchased a bm nac5 skimmer I'm having trouble skiming. I do know that the water level has to 9.5" to 11" but the skimer is sucking up air. Anyone can help me out?

I was readind about it last night but didn't get it read it all. But I did get the skimmer to some what skim last night. By chance does the size of my sump has a problem with mr using that skimmer? The sump I have is a 20G long sump and the demensions are 30x12x12

How long has it been running? I'm sure that article spoke about a break in period. My skimmer took about a week to fully break it.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Can you post a pic of how you have it setup in the sump? That would answer at least a few questions I have in my head.

One question I can ask now though is where is it "sucking up air"? Can you give any more details on this?

Can you post a pic of how you have it setup in the sump? That would answer at least a few questions I have in my head.

One question I can ask now though is where is it "sucking up air"? Can you give any more details on this?

Yes I will post pictures on my sump set up later on tonight I'm currently at work. But as for sucking up air the pump on the skimmer as this small pvc pump that came with it every time the water by the skimmer doesn't have enough water it makes a small whirl whole then the water from inside the skimmer goes back done. But I did have it running for 3-4 hours then turned it of just in cse the skimmer didn't overflow

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It sound like the water level in the skimmer section of your sump is not deep enough. I'll wait to see the pictures later. If you can't raise the water level in that section of the sump there might be one option you could try, but again, I'll wait to see the pictures first.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sounds to me like you don't have enough water in the section the skimmer is in. From what you described, the pump is sucking the water level down and drawing in air... which means you need more water in that section.

Can you put more in, or is there a baffle that's keeping that section at that height?

If you can't keep the water level higher than it is now, then you might want to try turning the pump sideways so it's not sucking from above. That should stop it from pulling in air.

Would still like to see pics to be sure though.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Seems had to believe that it would be sucking air if it's at 9" or 10" under water.

I think it would be possible only if the skimmer section was a small area (L x W) and the pump pulled most of the water out quicker than it could be filled up by the flow thru sump. This could drop the water level down far enough for it to suck air pretty easily.

I'm thinking that might be his issue, but again waiting on pics to comment on that.

I think it would be possible only if the skimmer section was a small area (L x W) and the pump pulled most of the water out quicker than it could be filled up by the flow thru sump. This could drop the water level down far enough for it to suck air pretty easily.

I'm thinking that might be his issue, but again waiting on pics to comment on that.

Agreed, but then of course it's no longer in 9" or 10" of water.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
He said the water "has" to be 9.5 to 11" but not actually how deep that section of his sump is. I have a 20L sump on both my 40B and 65. The deepest part of my sump is 8". My previous statement still stands.

:worthless

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yea, and he even noted his sump was only 12" deep in his second post... which was my first hint that it might not be in deep enough water.

Brian, give the poor guy a chance to get home and post some pics, lol.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm just messing around. :) I've actually seen his set up but I can't remember how deep that section of his sump is off the top of my head. What I do remember is his last skimmer and this new NAC5 will be a HUGE improvement over his last one.

Here are your pictures BRIAN lol :biggrin:

As you can see from the second picture the pump on the skimmer was facing up so i decided to tilt it over a little bit to see if it will stop sucking in air and it stop sucking in air. Now since that's over with thanks GOD lol which number should i leave the skimmer on? and also what do i do with the white tubing that's from from the skimmer what is it for?

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The tube from the collection cup is a drain tube. It should go into a container or it can be removed and plugged then you will have to empty and clean the cup every few days.

The tube from the collection cup is a drain tube. It should go into a container or it can be removed and plugged then you will have to empty and clean the cup every few days.

So I can make a DIY waste container then? Have a 5G bucket for my waste and just add a longer tube from the collection cup into the 5G bucket?

Angelo, get that drain tube out of the sump like stated above. Hopefully you did it already. Yes you can just have it empty into anything that you want, an empty milk container, a 5 gallon bucket, whatever you want to use.

I have the drain on my skimmer running right into my slop sink, but then again my sump is in the basement. :)

Angelo, get that drain tube out of the sump like stated above. Hopefully you did it already. Yes you can just have it empty into anything that you want, an empty milk container, a 5 gallon bucket, whatever you want to use.

I have the drain on my skimmer running right into my slop sink, but then again my sump is in the basement. :)

Thanks things 1 I will take the idea you have told me I'm just missing a top for the 5G bucket and a tube I might head over to home depot tomorrow after work.