• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

SPAM!

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I can see if my brother could figure out something, he's a programmer of some sort

That great but it will be hard to address these spam because most of the time its not always bot but people in centers and all they do is flood forums. They are real people so they can answer those questions and act like a real person. Now we can try changing the CAPTCHA (right now we use reCAPTCHA which is the box with text/numbers but I been reading that bots are getting better at handling those. There is Solve Media or KeyCAPTCHA that seem to do better jobs but I never used them so not sure the impact they will have.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
does anyone have contacts over at R2R? I am wondering if they are getting hit like us? I compared our registration page to their and it seems like both sites are using the same settings.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Cant you not allow postings until an admin approves a new user? It would save you tons of spamming and time...no approval unless they respond.

I like the simplicity of this idea. No need to spend money and purchase spam-ware. How many new "real" members do we get in a day or week versus how many new spammers join to post about their crap? Board members or moderators have to be on top of this spam cleaning a couple times a day....so you're getting on anyway, why not reduce the stress and "accept" real new members. We can have it be a "tell us about your tank" questioning to see if they are real, or ask about experience and whether they are a newbie or not. Let them know joining is free and will take about a day before they can post. JMTC

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
The issue I see is that there are roughly 50-60 people signing up with about 1/2 getting through and spamming. How will we know who is a "real" member. Seeming like it would take more time to me.

With the board as dead as it is...this is a bad idea. Don't give people extra annoying steps to become a member. I know I would just cancel the membership if I had to answer questions.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
With the board as dead as it is...this is a bad idea. Don't give people extra annoying steps to become a member. I know I would just cancel the membership if I had to answer questions.

I have to agree with @9supratt4 the more steps a person needs to do the less likely they are willing to keep their account.

James is that a possibility???

@njtiger24 aquariums

Yes this is possibility

The issue I see is that there are roughly 50-60 people signing up with about 1/2 getting through and spamming. How will we know who is a "real" member. Seeming like it would take more time to me.

That is where it will be hard.

Now one thing I was thinking about doing, which might help. Limit register members that they can only post in one thread (like a welcome/introduction) but can view all the public threads. Then create another group that once we determine they are real and not spammers which gives them the current permissions that a register user get.

Now the issue with both above is then the admins need to be up on their game and make sure real users get access in a timely fashion. Also we need to post it publicly that is what will happen so that they understand what is going on.

A very busy baseball site I have used for years does it this way. You can just look at their info to know if they are approved without questions if you like. Seeing 10 spam threads will drive people away too...most new user don't post right away anyway. They check out the place first.

Last edited:

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
A very busy baseball site I have used for years does it this way. You can just look at their info to know if they are approved without questions if you like. Seeing 10 spam threads will drive people away too...

That is a good point.

I feel a decision like that should be up to the BOD. @kschweer what are your thoughts?

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
That is a good point.

I feel a decision like that should be up to the BOD. @kschweer what are your thoughts?
I can see both sides to this. I do my best keeping up with it but I can't be on all day and night. I think all options need to be looked at before a decision is made. Maybe the spam scanner (or whatever) it is can be upgraded or the criteria made stricter?

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I've got a serious concern in this matter.
If we close up the arbitrary postings, where am I going to go to be able to order a sexual enhancement drug that also cleans my floors as described in broken English at 6am?
The struggle is real!!!

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Ok I been looking at our spam cleaner.

I noticed something that might work but not sure.

Currently our settings are if a user score 3 points then their account is flagged as moderate and need to be approved. If a user score 6 points then the account is rejected.

The points are based on different rules. One of the rules is the visitor country. Currently we flag 10 country only and only give them 1 point. My thoughts is add all the country beside the US to this list and give them 3 points off the bat there. In fact I just checked our spam log and it seems like a good amount are coming from PK which isn't on the current list.

What are you guys thoughts?