• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

SPAM!

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Ok I been looking at our spam cleaner.

I noticed something that might work but not sure.

Currently our settings are if a user score 3 points then their account is flagged as moderate and need to be approved. If a user score 6 points then the account is rejected.

The points are based on different rules. One of the rules is the visitor country. Currently we flag 10 country only and only give them 1 point. My thoughts is add all the country beside the US to this list and give them 3 points off the bat there. In fact I just checked our spam log and it seems like a good amount are coming from PK which isn't on the current list.

What are you guys thoughts?

Go for it.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
ok well seeing how there 200+ counties to list I figured I would just up the current list from 1+ to 3+. I also made sure that PK was on the list. I just checked the spam log and everyone that was banned today was from PK but they only got 1 point so there didn't get flagged when signing up.

Lets see what our spam numbers are like tomorrow. If you ban/delete someone tomorrow can you just let me know on this post so I can see if we need to tweak our setting more.

FYI it seems like our current spam filter is at the latest update but just running at the default settings (before I change the +3 on the country).

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
ok well seeing how there 200+ counties to list I figured I would just up the current list from 1+ to 3+. I also made sure that PK was on the list. I just checked the spam log and everyone that was banned today was from PK but they only got 1 point so there didn't get flagged when signing up.

Lets see what our spam numbers are like tomorrow. If you ban/delete someone tomorrow can you just let me know on this post so I can see if we need to tweak our setting more.

FYI it seems like our current spam filter is at the latest update but just running at the default settings (before I change the +3 on the country).
James. It looks like we had 18 blocked registrations and 1 spammer that got through. I just banned them.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
as of 7:03 this morning we had about 30 accounts flagged by the spam trigger and one got though which you banned. The one that got through country wasn't on the list. @kschweer I see you also banned a couple of other people that I don't think were flagged by the spam system (but still looking at the log) did they post or were they waiting for approval?

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
as of 7:03 this morning we had about 30 accounts flagged by the spam trigger and one got though which you banned. The one that got through country wasn't on the list. @kschweer I see you also banned a couple of other people that I don't think were flagged by the spam system (but still looking at the log) did they post or were they waiting for approval?
Once a week I look through the "new members" many times they are spammers that got through and just have links in their profile info. I think I deleted about 6-8 this morning.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
ok cause I was looking at their details and saw they were getting 1+ when they should had been getting 3+ due to their country so I wanted to see if the spam cleaner was having some issues but it seems like they might had been in before I change the values.

I will add that other country to our list.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
ok cause I was looking at their details and saw they were getting 1+ when they should had been getting 3+ due to their country so I wanted to see if the spam cleaner was having some issues but it seems like they might had been in before I change the values.

I will add that other country to our list.
Awesome! Thanks James!

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Ok looks like these changes are helping. From 7:28am yesterday until 8:08am today there were only 3 spam cleaned by admins 40 accounts flagged by the filter. Might still need to tweak as we go but still looking better then before.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Ok looks like these changes are helping. From 7:28am yesterday until 8:08am today there were only 3 spam cleaned by admins 40 accounts flagged by the filter. Might still need to tweak as we go but still looking better then before.
Agreed! Much better. Do you think we should "process" the blocked users in the spam filter? I processed 750 2 days ago to clear it out and see how the changes worked and we are now up to 48.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Agreed! Much better. Do you think we should "process" the blocked users in the spam filter? I processed 750 2 days ago to clear it out and see how the changes worked and we are now up to 48.

Doesn't hurt. We could also tweak the settings from 3+ (which flag them in that area) to 6+ for non-us country. The 6+ will reject them right away but I was concern of a false report but so far it seems to be going well. Maybe leave them for now and this weekend I will take a look at all the ones in there and see if we have any true accounts that got flagged.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Ok looked over the logs again today and then processed the accounts that got flagged for approval. Out of 114 accounts waiting for approval one looked like a real account to me so I approved it (account's country from NJ, has a NJ address in profile, no spam or anything looking) The only thing I found odd was that account received a score of 2 so not sure why it was flagged to be approved (we flag at a score of 3) @kschweer not sure if you pay much attention to that but by any chance do you recall approving accounts that got flagged?

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Over the year I believe there was one or 2 that I approved after they were flagged. The ones I'm thinking about made accounts and were denied access through the filter for some reason and I got an email from them and found the accounts in the spam cleaner and approved them.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Over the year I believe there was one or 2 that I approved after they were flagged. The ones I'm thinking about made accounts and were denied access through the filter for some reason and I got an email from them and found the accounts in the spam cleaner and approved them.

Ok then thats not too bad that over a year you only had to approve two accounts. I will keep an eye on these flagged accounts but still believe 1 out of 114 isn't bad either.