• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank birthday and I'm a Geezer

Paul B

NJRC Member
Today, the day after Election Day I got up at 4:00 to watch the news and maybe see who won the election. At that time there was no clear winner so I waited an hour and a little after 5:00 am I decided to go for a walk in the dark.

I walked and walked, maybe a mile and a half and it was in a different direction of where I usually walk. I walked past the locked door that goes down the 176 steps to the beach.

I thought about going down to the beach just to chill out. (And it was chilly so it wouldn't be a hard thing to do) But I didn't bring the beach key with me.
I noticed that the door was propped open. I figured I would check it out and I was going to go through. Then I remembered you also need a key to get back out so if I was down there and someone closed the door, I would have to take a very long, cold walk along the beach to get out.

I looked at the lock and it was missing, just a hole in the door so there was no way to lock me in.

Before the steps go down there is about a 75 yard wooden walkway. I was a little tired from already walking but I was tense and wanted to relax so I started to walk to the beach.

Half way in on the wooden walk way I see something. There are tall bushes all along the sides of the walkway and it was still kind of dark so I couldn't make it out.

It moved....... I watch the show "Ancient Aliens" and I believe that stuff, so I figured I was about to be abducted and beamed up to an Alien space craft where they would do questionable experiments on me while they flashed pictures of Supermodels on the blackboard in front of me.
(Or maybe they just wanted to know how to install a reverse undergravel filter)

This thought kind of intrigued me so I was focusing my mind toward the object trying to do a sort of mind meld with the Aliens.

I slowly walked toward the object and it moved again....Now I don't consider myself a Snowflake but I also wasn't going to charge this thing because in case it wasn't an Alien it could be a Grisly Bear or woodchuck. I am not sure if there are any Grisly Bears on Long Island but in the Bronx Zoo I know there is a Polar bear and that is only less than 100 miles away so he could have gotten here.

By this time It was getting a little lighter and I noticed it was antlers. Big antlers like a Moose would have. OK, maybe not a moose but it was a deer.
A big buck with two of his main squeezes. I don't think he took kindly to me as he kept starring with a mean look in his eyes.

I tried not to look to amorously at the females as I didn't want him to think I was any competition and I prefer my Ladies to have two legs.

We stood and looked at each other for what seemed like an eternity, but it was probably 10 seconds and neither one of us flinched.
I was getting cold so I slapped my hand down on the wooden railing and yelled

( HEY YOU BIG DEER, GET OUT OF MY WAY)

I must have intimidated the to females and they ran away. The Buck just stood there defying me and giving me the evil eye.

I am a city boy and I have no idea how to fight a deer. Do I just grab his antlers or kick him in his shins?
I don't know.
Luckily for him (OK me) he decided to turn and walk toward his harem.

I made it down the beach and it was a beautiful sunrise.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Be careful because it is rut season. Bucks will charge...During this time of year bucks are continually on the move, fighting other bucks and looking for does to breed. They don't even take time to eat during rutting season--the urge to reproduce is overwhelming and not to be interfered with. They will charge at you if they feel you are interfering or threating them. Does will always run away

Paul B

NJRC Member
This morning I had a cup of coffee next to this river. Actually it is the biggest river in Long Island and it enters Peconic bay where my boat is. Eventually it turns full salt but here it is fresh.

Today, like many days it is full of bunker (menhaden) which you may know are trash fish only used for bait or oil. When they ran out of whales here they caught these and squeezed them for oil. You can't eat them unless you like the taste of EXXON oil. :eek2:

They are filter feeders and swim in large schools with their mouth open. They are about a foot long. I didn't even know they would live in fresh water.
About a third of them were sick. Their dorsal fin was rotting off and they had bloody streamers coming off of them. o_O

Kind of disgusting but I could see some hobbiests dumping in fifty gallon drums of Prizapro, tetracycline, penicillin, Robitussin, TC caps, copper and Hydrogen Peroxide then quarantining them for 76 days. :)

Bunker.jpg

Paul B

NJRC Member
These guys constantly lay eggs.
thumbnail.jpg

And this one just looks pretty.
Purple.jpg

81oblermwfl-_ac_ul640_ql65_-jpg.1739204

I love clowns. It’s what I remember when I was a kid and was attracted to this hobby.

That said, they attack me every time I put my hand in the tank. Little devils!

Paul B

NJRC Member
This morning about 6:00am it was still kind of dark and very foggy. I mean pea soup foggy but me not being a Snowflake decided to take my morning walk. I usually walk about three miles almost every morning just because my knees feel like they have broken glass in them and walking seems to make them feel a little better, until I stop of course. Then they feel worse but pain is good because it lets you know you are still on the right side of the grass.
I had one knee replaced but It feels worse so I keep asking my Doctor if he can find my old knee and put it back in.
So after I walked about 100 yards and passed over this dead snake I started down this long country road. The road is a mile and a half long and forest on both sides.
Foggy road.jpg

The fog was getting thicker and it was getting quieter. Not that it was noisy before but I could hear birds and the occasional wood chuck arguing with a rabbit.
Now the fog completely engulfed me and I could almost hear the voice of Rod Seirling. (Google him)
I couldn't see anything and now it was dead quiet. I could barely see my own feet but I could smell something that kept me going. It was the unmistakable smell of wet horse and I know there is a rescue horse ranch on this road. But something was "off". :confused:

As I walked I thought I could hear, very faintly the theme music from the "Twilight Zone".
I felt like I was walking through a time warp and wasn't sure what day it was. Heck, I couldn't even tell what year it was and I worried that when I emerged from this noxious atmosphere that I would be swept back in time to the 1940s and didn't know if I would come face to face with HITLER or Susan Sarandan, who smokes by the way. :oops:

Fog.jpg
The smell of wet horse got stronger and through the fog,I could see horses. They weren't pulling plows or sporting Swastikas which I figured was a good sign.
I could now see a glimpse of the sky half expecting to see a couple of Bi-planes sporting vintage machine guns but thankfully they didn't appear.
I made it to my turn around point and started heading home with the knowledge that all was well and I was still in my own time zone.
That was until I entered my house and my wife was churning butter wearing a corset and a hoop skirt :sick:

This morning about 6:00am it was still kind of dark and very foggy. I mean pea soup foggy but me not being a Snowflake decided to take my morning walk. I usually walk about three miles almost every morning just because my knees feel like they have broken glass in them and walking seems to make them feel a little better, until I stop of course. Then they feel worse but pain is good because it lets you know you are still on the right side of the grass.
I had one knee replaced but It feels worse so I keep asking my Doctor if he can find my old knee and put it back in.
So after I walked about 100 yards and passed over this dead snake I started down this long country road. The road is a mile and a half long and forest on both sides.
View attachment 32488

The fog was getting thicker and it was getting quieter. Not that it was noisy before but I could hear birds and the occasional wood chuck arguing with a rabbit.
Now the fog completely engulfed me and I could almost hear the voice of Rod Seirling. (Google him)
I couldn't see anything and now it was dead quiet. I could barely see my own feet but I could smell something that kept me going. It was the unmistakable smell of wet horse and I know there is a rescue horse ranch on this road. But something was "off". :confused:

As I walked I thought I could hear, very faintly the theme music from the "Twilight Zone".
I felt like I was walking through a time warp and wasn't sure what day it was. Heck, I couldn't even tell what year it was and I worried that when I emerged from this noxious atmosphere that I would be swept back in time to the 1940s and didn't know if I would come face to face with HITLER or Susan Sarandan, who smokes by the way. :oops:

View attachment 32489
The smell of wet horse got stronger and through the fog,I could see horses. They weren't pulling plows or sporting Swastikas which I figured was a good sign.
I could now see a glimpse of the sky half expecting to see a couple of Bi-planes sporting vintage machine guns but thankfully they didn't appear.
I made it to my turn around point and started heading home with the knowledge that all was well and I was still in my own time zone.
That was until I entered my house and my wife was churning butter wearing a corset and a hoop skirt :sick:
Read all your stuff on both sides of the fence. Much lov brother