• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank birthday and I'm a Geezer

Paul B

NJRC Member
I went to my shoulder surgeon this morning and will get surgery in about 2 weeks. I already tore this rotator cuff 3 times so he said it won't be easy, if even possible to repair it again. It is completely torn off the bone and there is no real estate left to re attach it as it is already all full of plastic.

He is going to try to screw a patch to the bone with a metal screw after he removes all the old plastic ones and add a patch which he will try to sew the rotator cuff to it.

Due to my history of commercial construction as an electrician (and my break dancing) I totally wore out everything in there and it is all shredded.

But he is a Veteran which is why I chose him so I have the utmost confidence in him. If he can't fix it, I won't Know for a few months, then he will have to replace the shoulder.

Maybe I can get one of Schwarzenegger's old shoulders. :)

This will be my 30th surgery. I am not sure if you get a prize or free trip after 30 but I will ask. :cool:

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Im sure you can fabricate some kind of "mounting plate" and maybe use the sponge you cut for filler..
Anyway best of luck and prayers for a painless speedy recovery

Paul B

NJRC Member
We are supposed to get a foot or two of snow tonight so I got 15 gallons of gas for my generator. Of course with a busted shoulder it will be interesting starting the thing but I am sure I will get it going. If our power doesn't go out, I have an extra tank of gas for my car.

I can't lift a gas can that high right now or in the next couple of months but I have a lot of friends that will help me. Changing my water is a different story. I don't think I can collect water before my surgery so my fish will just have to cope 6 months or so without new water but I rarely change water anyway so they won't even know. :oops:

Paul B

NJRC Member
My tank is doing good like it is supposed to. No problems but I didn't expect any. I did add some fish in the last few months including a couple of dragon faced pipes and some green clown gobies, all doing well. I also replaced a female ruby red dragonette who was egg bound and exploded before I could catch her for a cesarean section. (I checked her insurance and she was covered)

Corals, gorgonians and everything else all smiling and doing the macarana. I wish I had something to write about but I would have to make it up.

OK make believe my copperband spawned with my Janss pipefish and the babies look soup spoons with fins. :rolleyes:

In a month my tank will be fifty one. :biggrin:

FTS Hippo Copperband.JPG

Paul B

NJRC Member
I just spent the morning trying to book a flight on Jet Blue. It used to be so simple. Now you have to go on their site and remember the password you used 2 months ago. Of course it won't work because you have to change your password because it was from before Tuesday.

Now you need to have at least 17 characters, two capitals, three symbols, 4 quotation marks, two dashes (one has to be on a 37 degree angle) and it has to be in at least 5 colors and three of the capital letters have to be in a different language than English, French, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin or Klingon. :confusion:

Then you get on their site to try to book your flight. They ask things like:
Have you ever been less than 500 yards from anyone who has had Covid, the common cold, acne or a sore throat?

Have you watched any movies and sat less then 10' from the TV where an actor portrayed someone with Covid?

Have you recently read a book where one of the characters mentioned Covid?

Then you try to book the flight.

Do you want to sit near an emergency exit? If so you need to take a class on how to open the door while wearing a face mask plus the oxygen mask that will fall down in front of your face because the pilot has his service dog on his lap.

Then you have to pay for your luggage. That costs about two or three times the cost of the flight which is high now because there are lines at the gas pumps and gas doubled in cost but I won't go into that. Your luggage will sit on your lap and act as your table, pillow and blanket.

You then pick your seat. You can get a recliner or a beach chair. The umbrella is extra.

Now you pick your meal. Pretzels or popcorn (an additional charge applies)

It used to be so simple to book a flight. You would call the airline and a nice person speaking English would answer in a friendly voice and ask you where you want to go and when. :biggrin:

Then "she" would say, oh of course, I have been there and it is a wonderful place. I will even meet you there and show you and your wife around because I have family there and now the best places to see.

She would tell you the price and say, you can pay now or at your convenience. You don't even have to pay if you are not in the mood or are to busy now.

Bring all the luggage you want, you can even bring your car, dog or LFS employee if you need them.

You are all booked, enjoy your trip and remember you can cancel any time, even if you are in the air and 3/4 of the way there.

Have a nice day. :)

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
So true LOL. I still have my Pan Am wings from when I was a kid. I remember going into the cot pit while in flight.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Some celebrities who are Veterans. (not all US Veterans) Some of these surprised me.

Paul Neuman, Richard Pryor, Vincent Pastore, James Earl Jones, Montel Williams, Schwarzenegger, Jesse Ventura, Don Rickles, Charlton Heston, Kirk Douglas, Drew Carey, Bea Arthur, Randy Couture, Sean Connery, Michael Caine, Henry Fonda, Leonard Nimoy, (Spock)
George Carlin, Willie Nelson, Gene Wilder, Charles Bronson, Alan Alda, Morgan Freeman, Elvis, Jimi Hendrix, Zulay Henao, Johnnie Carson, Mr. T, Mel Brooks, Jeff Bridges, Jennifer Marshall, Bob Barker, Ice T, Johnny Cash, Sammy Davis Jr, Steve McQueen, Clint Eastwood, Gal Gadot (Wonder Woman), Chuck Norris, MC Hammer, Hemmingway, Pat Sajak, Darva Conger (Who Wants to marry a Millionaire)
Nate Goss ? John Coltrane, Fred Durst Jamie Farr, Mickie Rooney, Sidney Poitier, Humphrey Bogart, Robert Duvall, Gene Hackman, Harry Belafonte, James Stewart, Hugh Hefner, Tom Selleck

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
The old timers I am not surprised but the newer celebrities have some surprising veterans…ice tea, mc hammer and Tom Selleck

Paul B

NJRC Member
Actually Diana, Tom Selleck, (my wife's favorite and my body double :biggrin: ) is about 76. Not really a new celebrity. :)

Paul B

NJRC Member
Good morning. I got back from my walk and it warmed up to about 15 degrees. This is the best time to walk as anyone can walk when it is 75 degrees. Thats for Sissies. :p

Icy road.JPG

Sunrise in snow.JPG

But I can't figure out why someone would feel the need to get their pool serviced on a day like today.

You can't make this stuff up.

Pool truck.JPG

Paul B

NJRC Member
This morning my wife and I went to a diner for breakfast like we always do on Sundays.
A young-er couple sitting near us picked up our check without saying anything on their way out.

I don't know if it was due to my Viet Nam Veterans hat or the fact that my wife is handicapped. I am pretty sure it isn't because of my good looks, but my wife is pretty good looking. :)

People around here are extremely nice and I get surprised by it almost every day. :biggrin:

Pool guy making his rounds
Or maybe the guy has a really big reef tank. :p

Paul B

NJRC Member
Linear activator to lift the front of my tank to make it easier to feed fish after shoulder surgery. My arm will be in a brace for about 6 weeks so I won't be able to use it, not even to wave at a pretty girl or scratch my nose. :cool:

Paul B

NJRC Member
I went to the surgeon today and he gave me a "brace"/sling thing that looks like something out of the torture chamber in the tower of London. I have to wear it for 6 weeks so I won't be able to wave at Supermodels or put brakes on my car. Forget changing any water.

Unless someone wants to come here and help me collect. :p

After the surgeon I went to the hospital for the silly pre surgery stuff. They asked me things like "Who will take care of my fish, who will cook for any Supermodels who come to wish me well" and things like that. Of course they took my blood, pressure and Covid test. :)

I then gave the surgeon a true or false test to make sure he want to high school and did at least 3 or 4 of these surgeries.
This is my 4th or 5th on that shoulder so I told him to make sure he goes to a different Home Depot for the toggle bolts he wants to install. The last guy pt in those plastic sheet rock anchors which fell out. :cool:

Paul B

NJRC Member
Yesterday I went to the hospital for my pre surgery nonsense and one of the questions the nurse asked me was "If I wanted Aroma therapy"?

I said, What! Why would I want aroma therapy? I just want my shoulder fixed. She said some people get nauseous with the anesthesia after surgery so we have aroma's like lavender and soft music to get you through it.

I told her, "Do I look like someone who would sit there and smell Lavender because I don't feel good after some Sissy surgery?"

I told her "I would have to turn in my MAN card if I had to do that. Thats for a Sissy, Girly man"..

Boy have times changed. I would totally smack myself and hope that my wife would smack me if I needed that. :confused:

Lavender, Like really!!!!

I like the smell of cro bars.

Last edited:

Paul B

NJRC Member
Being that it was almost 60 degrees yesterday and I washed my car. Today it is snowing. This is my morning walk just now.

View attachment 57949Morning snow.JPG

On my way back I walked through the "jungle" and I could see where Tarzan must have fell off a vine because I can see it broken

View attachment 57950
Tarzan vine.JPG

Diana, I am pretty sure it is only you and me here. Everyone must be either sleeping or trying to cure some silly disease. :)