• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank birthday and I'm a Geezer

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Can’t believe you’re out for a walk today. It is beautiful outside with all the snow on the treesE52A61A9-B89B-4509-8027-D92D98887F38.jpeg

Last edited:

Paul B

NJRC Member
Diana I walk every day, rain, snow, heat cold, sleet, volcanoes, earthquake, meteorite etc.

I was out while it was snowing 18" last week and the week before when it was 11 degrees because thats what "Men" do unless they are a snowflake, sissy. girly man. :p

Smow me.JPG

Thermometer.jpg

My favorite time to collect water. I collected 40 gallons that day. My fish loved it. :soap:

I like to go out very early to catch the sunrise. This is in front of my house, very early on a foggy morning. I love this picture. :biggrin:

Sunrise.jpg

Jeep (2).jpg

This day in probably 1974 it snowed 18" on a Monday morning and it wasn't predicted. In those days no one had a 4 wheel drive.

But I did. I had this 1960 Willy's Military Jeep that would go right through any 4 wheel drive today and there was no way to stop it. I could drive it up to a brick wall and get out and walk away and the wheels would still keep turning.

I drove to the where I was working at the Chrysler Bldg. and plowed the highway there. All of Long Island followed me in. I parked on the sidewalk because nothing was moving so no one could stop me. No one was there so I went home and drove through the New York Worlds Fair grounds and started plowing.

After this picture I put big tires on it with bus chains which made it hard to drive on dry streets. That day I made about $1,400.00 which is probably $8,000.00 today. As an apprentice electrician I was bringing home $54.00 a week because the minimum wage was $1.25 an hour.

My wife and I went to Bermuda all expenses paid from that one snow fall. I paid for much of my house with that old Jeep. :biggrin:

Most kids today couldn't make ten bucks if you gave them $9,95

Last edited:

Paul B

NJRC Member
My surgery is set for 2:30 tomorrow and I will be in there for 5 hours all together unless of course I opt for hair plugs, tummy tuck or just a general tune up. I can't eat or drink all day but that won't be a problem. I will also do my 2 mile walk in the snow tomorrow but I doubt I will do any posting just after the surgery because it's hard to type and scream at the same time. :numbness:

For about 10 hours after surgery you don't feel anything and may want to go pole vaulting but they tell you to abstain from activities like that. It's like after you get novocaine, you can bite your cheek off but most dentists frown on that. :oops:

Not many years ago you woke up screaming from surgery because like, it's painful. Now they give you a nerve block that allows you to be pain free until you get home so you don't strangle your surgeon. But of course it wears off all at once and then OMG, you know what pain is. :mad:

Being this will be my 30 th surgery I know what it feels like now and 50 years ago. I am not a Snowflake, Sissy, Girly man and know that pain is a good thing and it will gradually get better. It just means you didn't sit around all your life and text scary emojis to people you don't like. :ohnoes:

It's like when someone hits you with a cro bar. That hurts.
Happy Valentines day :D

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
My prayers for you and your surgical team. I await to read how you are coping after your surgery.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Paul B

NJRC Member
and come out the other side a better man. ;)
Maybe I can come out a hairier man!! The hospital just called. It is not 2:30, it is 6:00 am. I am happy about this but I wished thy told me earlier. Now I have to tell my friend to take me at 5:00am. She is sleeping here so I guess it isn't that big a deal. :D

Paul B

NJRC Member
I am ready to go now and it is 4:00am.

I had eye muscle surgery many years ago and they had me naked on this stainless steel gourney in the operating room. I am sure they just took it out of the freezer or used it to hold all the Bud Lights just before the Superbowl game. The nurse took my arm and stuck an IV in me full of I think an orange slushy that was just in the same freezer as the gourney.

The first thing I said was "you are sure you are operating on the right end of my body aren't you, being naked and all"?

Remember, it's my eyes! :greek:

I was shivering so much I almost vibrated off the table. There were 7 female "Nurses, Doctors assistants, anesthesiologists, ice cream vendors all around me with masks on. I am pretty sure I also saw Dorothy Hamill there practicing for the olympics. :ohnoes:

One saw me shaking and figured I was afraid of the operation. She held my hand, came close to my ear, smiled and said:
"Don't be afraid Honey, you will be fine"

I said "I am not afraid, I am freezing, and how could I be afraid while being surrounded by seven beautiful Babes"

They were all hysterical laughing. :biggrin:

None of them said, That wasn't PC. :rolleyes:

Paul B

NJRC Member
hi guys. typing with one hand so no capitals. i got home a few hours ago and still have the nerve block so no pain yet. i will start screaming tonight. i don't know how it went because i didn't talk to the dr. yet but the guy who swept the floor gave me a thumbs up. :rolleyes:

i was in there for 6 hours but the surgery was probably much shorter, maybe an hour and 15 minutes.
(it takes 15 minutes to get to home depot from the hospital and i don't know if the dr. had to go there for something)

the nurses are really nice there and i had 5 or 6 of them doing different things. one was really interested in me and googled my name there. she may buy my book. :D

when they brought me into the operating room the two anesthesiologists were there. both young men but one of them didn't exude confidence. did you ever see "alien vs predator" ?

the alien looks like a praying mantis and sweats acid while the predator has dread locks, green scales and shoots laser beams from his rotator cuff. he looked somewhat like the two of them.

i noticed a young girl there dressed like a surgeon. i figured it was "take your granddaughter to work day". i also noticed girl scout cookies on the jungle gym. :oops:

they assured me she was a surgeon and showed me a photo of her desk with one of those little statues made out of nuts and bolts shaped like a surgeon. i knew it was real because it had a little stethoscope and a plack that read "worlds best surgeon".

i asked the anesthesiologist if he could keep me knocked out for 6 weeks until the brace comes off but he just said "good night"

now i have this hard brace on and it keeps my arm facing straight out from my body so when i walk down the street, people either shake hands with me, give me spare change or say, "who you pointing at! ". :oops:

Last edited:

Paul B

NJRC Member
I'm sure they will not let you freeze. Good luck.
They sent me home in this as they wouldn't let remove the arm to put anything on. It was 18 degrees

Me and Dale after surgery.jpg

My best Buddy, caregiver who I know before I know my wife of almost 50 years is here for a few days to help. She is great. :biggrin:

Caregiver.jpg

Paul, hope the pain isn't to bad and hang in there.
OOOOOOOOUUUUUuuuuuuuCCCCcchhhhh WHAT? OOOOOOUUUUUUCCChhhhhhh :eek2:

Pain is for Girly Men. I don't get that, neither do my fish as that comes from quarantining :biggrin:

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
You are such a trooper. Love your sense of humor. I hope they gave you strong meds to take at home. Keeping you in my prayers.

Paul B

NJRC Member
The surgeon called and said the surgery went better than he expected. After all the surgeries on that shoulder he didn't think there would be any place to anchor the thing and he figured it was shredded. He said my shoulder bones are very big and beefy, probably because I worked commercial and industrial electrician for almost 50 years and everything was heavy so my shoulder bones got big. Not so much my tendons and rotator cuff so it ripped off.

There was also a lot of shredded pieces of muscle and bone he had to clean out which was causing pain.

He used a new kind of composite anchor that should last the rest of my life as the last ones only lasted about 8 years.
I said to him, it isn't that painful, are you sure you used an anchor and not duct tape? He laughed. :biggrin:
My good buddy is here taking care of me. She just put this ice pack machine on me.

After 60 years she started going to a gym. She went about two weeks and is bulking up and is very proud.

Don't get excited, my wife took the picture and she is our best friend. Her husband and my best friend died of Covid last year. I know her over fifty years.

IMG_1743.jpg

Paul B

NJRC Member
Diana, I am always in good spirits. :biggrin: Even my wife asks me How I am happy most the time.

I think that comes from life experience. The things Americans (or anyone from a civilized place) have, most people in the world don't have and if you never spent time in those places, as a resident, not a tourist, you would see how very lucky we are. This little pain I have now is nothing and will heal. But most people don't have access to simple rotator cuff surgery and will go through life in pain and not being able to repair this.

We are very lucky. :biggrin: I complain about politicians a lot but even that, I wouldn't change for what they have in most places.

And Diana, my friend, I hope you have a fantastic, fun filled day with no pain, healthy kids, family and of course fish.

And I also want to thank you for always reading all my dribble. :rolleyes:

I can see this in our future. Glowing Supermodels. :eek2:

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
What a dear person you are! What a wonderful blessing your wife has to have around to fill her day with. My prayers to you always. Hope you feel better soon.