• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank birthday and I'm a Geezer

Paul B

NJRC Member
I am so mad at my wife's computer. It runs Windows 11 and it is horrible. Yesterday I almost threw it out the window. We also have one of those printers that comes with like a gallon of ink that lasts for the rest of your life. Of course if you don't use all those colors every week, it clogs and you have to take it apart to un clog it by pouring boiling "Liquid Plumber in it.

My wife wants me to scan a document and E Mail it to someone. I can't get the thing to recognize me even if I open the top and stick my face right on the glass. :(

I spent 2 hours on it last night until I gave up and will use my computer which never has a problem.

It prints test pages and I have about 18 of them.

It seems (by a computer geek that looked at it) that it was a Windows 10, but Microsoft decided to "upgrade" it to Windows 11 without asking anyone and it lost all our "stuff" or at least put it in places where we can't find it and trust me, I looked all over for it even under the bed.

It's like If I had a 1956 Chevy with a full tank of gas and all my stuff in it including fishing poles, crab traps old copies of "Fresh Water and Marine Aquarium" magazines etc. and General Motors decided I needed an out of gas 2005 Toyota Land Cruiser and threw out all my good stuff and didn't give me an owners manual so I don't even know how to set the clock.

Does Bill Gates sit around all day searching for computers that he can "upgrade" to something that doesn't work just for fun?

What I need is an "Old People's" computer. I want the thing to have a big "On Off" switch right on the front, not a push button with a smily face.

When I turn it on I want it to only go on the stuff I normally go on which for me is still AOL. :oops:

I don't want any other choices like Firefox, Aardvark or Emu.

From there I can go to my pictures or E mail because thats all I ever need the thing to do.

Nothing else. I don't need apps, short cuts, financial programs, tips of the day or recipies.

I also don't need a new car, someone to clean my gutters or tell me what my prostate needs to stay healthy. Thank you very much.

Then when I want to print something there should be another switch in the center of my printer that says "ON". Thats all. No password, Wipps, Dipps or chips, no internet connection, bluetooth, service provider or anything else. I just want it to print "exactly what I put into the thing" .

I also don't need to set if it is landscape or portrait. I don't need to know the resolution or contrast.

I don't want to pick the size either. I want it to print exactly what I put into the thing exactly what it looks like when I close the top. In other words, don't ask me anything, just print it.

When it is done, it will go off after I smack it a few times.

"My" computer is a Windows XP. I don't remember how old it is but the case is wood.
Microsoft keeps telling me they no longer support it and thats a big plus. Keep Microsoft far away from my stuff and I won't have any problems.

I have no firewall because I keep a fire extinguisher near by. It works every time with no fanfare.
No crashing, no viruses and no problems. If I want it to print something, I hit "Print"

The thing goes on and pours me out a cup of coffee, asks me how was my way and prints the thing just as it sees it and thats just what I want. :cool:

Paul B

NJRC Member
Diana, Greta is coming here today on the bus, alone from the City 60 miles away. This is her first trip alone and we will pick her up. It is a private bus that doesn't make any stops all the way here and a person on the bus will watch her.

Greta ia 9 years old now. Here she was a year or two ago. Now she wears Ugg boots and puts on make up and fake nails. She got a lot bigger since then.

Greta in Rock.jpg

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I see a lot of your wife in her but I see bits of you. Can't pinpoint what it is. Beautiful

Paul B

NJRC Member
She looks a lot like our Daughter (her Mother) but our Daughter looks a lot like my wife.

This is her an hour ago while she was getting ready to get on the bus. She has been texting us from the bus.

Greta coming here.jpg

Paul B

NJRC Member
I just went to my marina to check on my boat. I need about 4 or 5 thousand dollars worth of work. This is after the 4 or 5 thousand I put into it last year and not counting the seven thousand dollars it costs to park it in the marina.

Boating is so much fun. But no one can complain about boat costs because no one needs a boat. Or a reef tank. :D

This work, a few years ago I would have done myself and it would cost me maybe $800.00 in parts. But I got old. :rolleyes:

I can't lift the outdrives any more and I certainly can't lift them high enough to install them so I have to let the marina do it. To fill the tank with gas today is just over $500.00 so I may use Vodka instead. American Vodka.

Vodka.JPG

]

Those two 150 lb white things (outdrives) need to come off and behind them is a rubber bellows that doesn't last forever. If it breaks, the boat sinks and I frown on that. It's mostly barnacles that cut into the thing. Cute little devils that they are.

Behind the bellows are bearings. Very expensive bearings and if they get salt water in them, I can add another thousand dollars each. :eek2: I won't know that until the outdrives come off.

This does not mean that something broke. This is normal maintenance on a boat with outdrives. This work should be done every 4 or 5 years but it has been at least 8 years since I did it myself.

This is like brakes on a car, you need to replace them occasionally. But if you don't, you car won't sink. :(

I used to enjoy doing this kind of work. But now, especially with my arm in a sling, I just can't do it myself which is a downer.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Some birds I hear on my morning walk. Turn up the volume as some birds are not that noisy and my I Phone 4 isn't that sensitive.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I think my large Janss Pipefish may have gone to the big plumbing supply in the sky. I haven't seen him in a few days and he normally sticks out his snout at feeding time.

If he is gone, he has had a good run because he was about 7 years old and I think that is about that lifespan for that fish. I am guessing because I never had one for this long but they are cool fish and I will try (but probably fail) to get another one.

I have only seen 2 or 3 of them in my lifetime except for the two that I had.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Yesterday I did a lot of cooking. I had plenty of clams left over from the Linguine and clams a couple of days ago that I made for good neighbors, so I made a gallon of Manhattan clam chowder.

(yes, many of my meals revolve around clams)

I also made 2 loaves of rosemary, olive oil Italian bread and one of my wife;s favorites, Broccoli rabe with shrimp.

That is another Italian peasant dish and since I am a peasant I eat a lot of it. :p

It took me quite a while to find American shrimp as most of it comes from Asia including India and I can't give that to my family. :)

Paul B

NJRC Member
Minimalist aquascape allows you to see the fish but I know fish, and they hate that.
I think I have between 25-35 fish and I rarely see more than 5 or 6 of them unless I sit and watch for a while.

( i just turned around and saw 11 of them just to make a liar out of me)

I am going to try to remember all the fish I have.

8 or 10 citron gobies
2 mandarins,
2 rainsford gobies
2 six line wrasses (I haven't seen one in a while so I am not sure about this)
1 copperband
1 black thing, I forget what it is
2 different filefish
2 Sunburst anthius
1 Hippo tang
1 purple thing
1 BangaiCardinal
2 Fire clowns.
1 some kind of hawkfish I think
1 Watchman
1 Other red fish
2 Possum Wrasses
1 or 2 bleenies
2 Ruby Red dragonettes.

That may be it but it is very hard to tell as my cave system permeates the entire 6' length of the tank.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Congrats! To bad it wasn't yesterday since it was a nice day.

How was Greta's visit? She is such a cutie.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Hello Diana. How are you? Greta was an absolute Doll and we love it when she is here. We didn't get her brother because he isn't such a Dolland a little hard to handle alone. Greta helps and listens with no argument. They will all be here for Easter. :biggrin:

Yesterday was a little cool,not to bad but it was gray. It didn't start raining until after we finished so it was a very good day. Many friends came.

At MS Walk.jpeg

Paul B

NJRC Member
Since my shoulder surgery I have been getting severe pain in my arm where he operated. I also had it before the operation so I don't think it is from that. But the surgeon fish said it could have assabated it.

So he gave me two prescriptions to take while I wait the two weeks until I see him.
I have been feeling lousy so I looked up the side effects of these medications.

Dry mouth, wet mouth, weight gain, weight loss, runny nose, blue nose, blurred vision, constipation, dizziness, diarrhea, weakness, ringing in the ears, heart failure, an uncontrollable urge to disco dance, Da da da da, uronoma, ich, bloating, gas etc.

The other medication also had those side effects plus many more including death. So after death, the other side effects didn't seem to severe.

This morning I stopped taking them and figured I would throw them in my tank. Maybe it eliminates red slime or hair algae........You never know. :)

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Very scary reading side effects on RX. Be very cautious.

One of my sons has asthma. Back in 2012 his pedestrian gave him a prescription of Singulair that he was to take only while attending school (Sept to May). I would see him acting very mad all the time. Summer came that first year and he wasn't acting up. Just thought he wasn't stressing since he was on summer vacation. Didn't associate the mad behavior with the RX. Sept came, he was back on it, and he was angry again. One morning while I had the morning news on, Singulair was being reported. They saw an increase of suicides in kids and teens while taking it. Called his Dr and we agreed it was the cause of his behavior and he was to cease taking it. After years of parents telling stories of their kids committing suicide, the FDA placed a warning in 2020 that Singulair would require the boxed warning on the drug could cause agitation, depression, sleeping problems, and suicidal thoughts and actions.