• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank birthday and I'm a Geezer

Yesterday my phone died again so I figured it was trying to tell me something but it didn't want to bother SIRI to tell me.

Hi Paul, At least when all was said and done you ended up with a working phone. That's doing a lot better than some people.

Yes, these new phones have so many fetures that I don't even know what most of them are, even with my older iPhone 7. I think I'm going to need to replace it in the not to distant future, not sure what I'll get for a replacement. I kind of hate to spane $1000+ for a new phone.

Good luck with your surgery and so on.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Hi Paul, At least when all was said and done you ended up with a working phone. That's doing a lot better than some people.

Yes, these new phones have so many fetures that I don't even know what most of them are, even with my older iPhone 7. I think I'm going to need to replace it in the not to distant future, not sure what I'll get for a replacement. I kind of hate to spane $1000+ for a new phone.

Good luck with your surgery and so on.
I buy unlocked phones online because usually few hundred dollars cheaper. Set them up myself. Do run into issues sometimes but Google is my friend.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I bought this I Phone 13 mini at the Apple store. It was about $700.00. :D But I am old and this will probably be the last phone I ever buy. I had my last one for about 12 years and only got a new one because the 3G network was croaking.

I had two surgeries yesterday. They took a small cancer thing off my lower eyelid which I probably was born with.

Anyway the first surgery at 9:30 am they called me the night before to tell me to have a big breakfast and stay hydrated by drinking water.

OK but right after that, the second doctor who was an eyelid plastic surgeon called me to tell me not to eat or drink anything from the night before. It's a good thing they called because I would have eaten 7 pancakes with eggs.

The second surgery happened about 5:00pm even though my appointment was for 11:30 am. So we sat there, kind of hungry for 5 1/2 hours before they took me in to the "little room" where they put you to "get ready".

The nurse comes in and tells me to take off all my clothes. I told her the last time a woman asked me that, I got married.

So I am naked with the paper gown and the anesthesiologist, doctor, nurse and the guy who sweeps the floor come in to ask questions.

The eye lid, plastic surgeon asks me which eye it is?
Now I just came from the surgeon who removed the thing from my left eyelid and didn't close the wound because this guy is supposed to do that and it is all bloody and swollen.

I asked him to "Look closer". OK I see it is your left eye. Now I am thinking maybe this guy is a podiatrist or audiologist.

I jokingly said to him, can you make me look like Brad Pitt. He said, no problem, but just that one lower eyelid.

The anesthesiologist asks me if I have ever been under general anesthesia before and this is after I just said to him that this will be my 31st surgery.

So as we are talking they say ok all done. I said: "Whats done"?. The surgery is over and you did great.

If you have ever had surgery, the stuff they put you out with is so good that you don't even know you were out for an hour. This happened for my last three surgeries. You don't even realize you had an operation until you get up off the gurney and notice you are naked and the cold is going to parts on you that never get cold.

Now I am home and except for looking like I got hit in the face with a baseball bat, all is well except my left lower eyelid looks like Brad Pitts eyelid. :rolleyes:

Paul B

NJRC Member
Every morning I make breakfast for my wife. On weekends we go out but most other times I cook or bake. She makes dinner most of the time unless I feel creative.

This morning I made scones. I have to substitute a lot of ingredients because we try to eat healthy so very little fat, salt, sugar and M&Ms. :rolleyes:

It's very easy to cook or bake if you can load everything up with butter, salt and sugar. That doesn't take much talent. Cooking healthy while making it taste other than sawdust and cardboard is harder. :rolleyes:

As a matter of fact, if you mix sugar, butter and salt in a pot and eat it, it would probably be delicious all by itself. :sick:

I am not sure why these biscuits rose so much but I probably added to much baking powder. Anyway they will go great with some eggs. :D

October will be our 50th anniversary so my wife has been busy trying to pick a place to go and we are taking the family including Grand Kids. It has to be friendly for 10 year olds (boy and girl) and handicapped accessible. Either one is easy but both of those necessities are tough. :(

Scones.jpg

I don't want to go to Europe now the way the world is so we are trying to stay on this hemisphere. I was even looking at American Riverboat cruises but they are mostly for geezers like myself. I won't go near Disney as the place gives me the horrors and we have been to most of the Caribbean but we may end up there if we can find a suitable place. It's just that most of the Caribbean Islands are pretty much the same.

We don't want just a kid place because it is really for us and our Grand Kids spend about 18 hours each day on their tablets anyway.

It will be in June so it will be hot and although we know many people in Florida, it's just to hot there then. I was thinking maybe somewhere in Canada or Nova Scotia. Even Alaska but we are still looking and if anyone has any suggestions I would like o hear them but they have to have those qualities. Kids and handicapped. :)

Paul B

NJRC Member
This little purple fish is nearing the end of his life. I don't even remember what kind of fish he is or how old he is but I think I have him from my last house and I moved here 5 years ago. I also think he was an adult when I got him.

He slowed down a lot and he is a little thin except for his stomach, sort of like me. His eyes are not as bright as they used to be but he still swims around and eats. He also has a few rips in his fins as his immune system can't repair it very fast now.
Small fish like this usually don't live to 10 years but I am not sure. I do know he is past his prime and maybe in a few weeks will disappear.

This is how all fish look when they are coming to the end of their lifespan. I think he will live a couple more months but thats about it.

purple fish.jpg

Paul B

NJRC Member
I just had my follow up appointment with my Eyelid plastic surgeon. He told me that his staff told him to tell me that I had them all laughing and I was the most relaxed patient they ever had before surgery.

I don't remember what I said but it must have been the anthrax they used to put me to sleep or the Matt Damon comments.

But my eyelid looks great and I still have all my eyelashes so my wife still recognizes me.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I am "kind of" winning the battle with the invasive sponge in my tank. I built this "injecting thing" so I can remotely inject vinegar into the sponge and it is having a pretty big impact.

Sponges hate vinegar, who knew? (I did read it on one of these forums but I forgot which one)

It takes a week or so but the spots I inject die about 3" around the injection spot. I do inject it multiple times in multiple places and I killed about a 6X6" sponge so far.

I am improving the injecting tool so it will last forever (hopefully) because now it is a bit delicate.

I will cut out the large projecting pieces of sponge and remove it but the part that is encrusting all over the rock is easier to inject because the rock prevents the needle from going completely through the thing.

This will take quite a while. :rolleyes: