• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank birthday and I'm a Geezer

Paul B

NJRC Member
Today is almost 60 degrees which is unheard of for this time of the year so naturally I collected some water here.

IMG_0322.JPG
The water is 45 degrees and the salinity is 0.019 so I can keep kissing gouramies. :p
Now I have to remove the silica or my sponge will cover my house.

Last edited:

Paul B

NJRC Member
I collected 50 gallons of very cold water. The water is "scurvier" today than it usually is in the winter when it is normally crystal clear but we had a huge storm here a couple of days ago. The water is probably full of nitrates from all the golf courses we have here so I may get an algae spurt. :oops:

The silicates here are very high so I will remove them because my encrusting, annoying sponge grows on the stuff.

I am cleaning it up now as it is full of chopped up seaweed and the stuff that is in the Hot Dog carts in Manhattan. :D

IMG_0324.JPG

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I collected 50 gallons of very cold water. The water is "scurvier" today than it usually is in the winter when it is normally crystal clear but we had a huge storm here a couple of days ago. The water is probably full of nitrates from all the golf courses we have here so I may get an algae spurt. :oops:

The silicates here are very high so I will remove them because my encrusting, annoying sponge grows on the stuff.

I am cleaning it up now as it is full of chopped up seaweed and the stuff that is in the Hot Dog carts in Manhattan. :D

View attachment 47874
I used to love dirty water dogs.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Everyone loves dirty water dogs. I just don't want to know whats in them or how long it has been in there. :oops:

Paul B

NJRC Member
I didn't but someone did as I got it like that. There was a guy that used to sell these and I got one to replace one of my rusty motors. If it croaks I can get that exact "Quiet One" pump which are very cheap and keep the thing going. The original Vortex Diatom pump was built for fresh water and it was a terrible design for salt water or for any water where diatom powder is used because the powder ate up the O Ring seal.
I couldn't be in the hobby without a diatom filter and I have used them since the 60s when Janis Joplin used to be singing as I used one. :oops:

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
That's an awesome mod,now I'm going to have to find one because I have a few quiet one pumps lying around.
After mine rotted away I tried the marineland canister filter with the diatom cartridge,it just didn't cut it..

Paul B

NJRC Member
I decided to drag out this Eheim filter that I haven't used in decades. I wanted to run NSW through it to try to remove the silicates that are very high here in the sea.

The thing made a grinding noise and just didn't work.

Maybe this is the problem. :confused:
IMG_0343.JPG

Paul B

NJRC Member
On my morning walk I go around this old church. The thing was built about 225 years ago and is in pretty good shape.

Church sign.JPG

I am in Awe that Home Depot sold aluminum siding then. :cool:

Church.JPG