• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank birthday and I'm a Geezer

Paul B

NJRC Member
Yes I am. There's nothing like the smell of napalm,,,I mean Varnish in the morning. I haven't seen my fish yet today so maybe they all croaked. :oops:

Hopefully it will kill my invasive sponge. :cool:

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Yes I am. There's nothing like the smell of napalm,,,I mean Varnish in the morning. I haven't seen my fish yet today so maybe they all croaked. :oops:

Hopefully it will kill my invasive sponge. :cool:
Maybe they are just chilling and have the munchies now.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I did a little investigating on my morning walk. I wanted to get into this old barn because no one lives here any longer but I think I still could have been shot so I didn't go inside. There was no sun so they are a little Blah.
The others were open.

Barn.JPG

Stable.JPG

Horse thing.JPG

Paul B

NJRC Member
Thank you Diana. I think I like the last one. There was no sun so the shadows and contrast was hard to get. It was also very early. These are all empty rescue horse stables. The place moved almost 2 years ago so the weeds grew up all over the place. I hope they don't build there because I like it just the way it is.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Thank you Myron. There was no sun early this morning because like many days this time of the year it was misty. My camera added a little lighting.

All of the pictures I took in the last few months are walking distance from my home and most are only a few hundred yards away. :D

We have a beautiful beach here because we are up on a big hill. 176 steps up and the sun rises over the hill to the east. Due to the water and the hill we get a lot of fog which makes the pictures more interesting.

Last edited:

Paul B

NJRC Member
I am not exactly sure what I am going to do with my tank. The sponge took over most of the real estate and it killed all the hard corals and some of the others. I have been having luck killing it by injecting vinegar into it but as it dies it creates hair algae and a stringy slime which I am sure isn't good. It doesn't affect the fish at all as they are still spawning and looking great.

I don't have another tank (yet) but I may have to start one just so I can take out the sponge infested rock and maybe leave it in the dark for a few weeks. I am doing an experiment now with some heavily encrusted rocks that I dipped in tap water for one minute to see if that kills the stuff.

I would rather not dip all my sponge infested rock in tap water because it is loaded with brittle stars, bristle worms, copepods and amphipods that I want to keep and I am not sure if the fresh water will kill that. I know it kills brittle stars in a few seconds but I have thousands of them.

I know I can't keep it going like it is because I can't put anything else in there. My workshop is full now with non-fish projects so I have to finish those before I start this difficult, time consuming task. My wife also takes up much of my free time now as her MS is slowly progressing so she can't do much.
FTS Feb 1.JPG

Paul B

NJRC Member
I am in the process of mixing a lot of ASW. I am going to make the biggest water change I ever had, maybe 80 gallons because I think all the silicates from my NSW are feeding this invasive sponge. I will change the water then in the old water in a huge vat I will put the sponge rock in the dark until the sponge croaks.

I will have enough clean rock from the bottom of my aquascape to keep the fish happy and I also have some dry rock laying around if needed.
I have not cleaned my tank in the 5 years I am here and a undergravel filter needs this cleaning eventually anyway so this will give me an opportunity to do this.

Unfortunately I will lose many corals and anemones because none of my corals are on those frag things and all of them are growing on the rock so I will have to cut off what I can save and leave them in the tank. I can't save them all as they are stuck everywhere but it is what it is.

I only have enough capacity to hold about 80 gallons of water so I will need to buy another garbage can or big vat to do such a large change because I need to save water to put the rock in and due to the sponge hopefully disintegrating, I will need to change that water often.

After all the sponge is eliminated, I will again start using NSW for water changes.

I am also getting much to old to do this myself. :rolleyes:

Paul B

NJRC Member
I can't do much work on my tank today except collect more fresh water from my RO/DI. My Grand Kids are coming over tomorrow and they always look for the sunken ship bubbler they gave me a few years ago for Christmas so I put it in today. It is making salt spray on my lights. :)

IMG_0436.JPG