• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank birthday and I'm a Geezer

Paul B

NJRC Member
So far so good. But I am not loving how many of my corals look. They really don't like this fake seawater or maybe they miss the sponge toxins. :confused:

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
I wonder if you added something like coral vita or some other food/vitamin in a higher dose to dirty things up a little if that would help.
Or a good ol dose of iodine if softies.
So far so good. But I am not loving how many of my corals look. They really don't like this fake seawater or maybe they miss the sponge toxins. :confused:

Paul B

NJRC Member
That may work, but I think I will just go down to the sea and collect some mud and algae covered rocks. :biggrin: It's 23 degrees now and I don't feel like sloshing through the sea so I may wait a few days. :confused2:

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
That may work, but I think I will just go down to the sea and collect some mud and algae covered rocks. :biggrin: It's 23 degrees now and I don't feel like sloshing through the sea so I may wait a few days. :confused2:
Being a body of water in NY im sure with all the dumped medical waste the algae if full of iodine..:)

Paul B

NJRC Member
This morning I walked where I haven't gone before. Through the center of the golf course in front of my house.

It was 23 degrees.
Sun golf.JPG

Golf walk.JPG

Golf Pond.JPG

Paul B

NJRC Member
Good Morning. I am really not liking the look of this ASW. I have to clean the glass twice a day but thats due to all the dead stuff I have in my rock after I cleaned it. Much of it I just let sit in the dark and some of it I left out in the cold in sea water. Some I just wire brushed to get all the sponge off and some I bleached. :)

The fish are happy and most of the corals are opening up but my skimmer is going crazy and there is a fine coating of algae on most surfaces which is a good thing. The tank thinks it's a new tank even though the gravel and about a third of the rock I didn't do anything to except rinse.

I dropped my diatom filter and it leaks so I have to run it in a bucket. I need to fix that asap because I can't be in this hobby without the thing.

After I am sure that none of that invasive sponge is growing, I would like to go back to NSW but I may wait at least a year.

It's snowing pretty hard now so I won't go collecting bacteria today. :D

Paul B

NJRC Member
Yesterday my reef reached 52 years old. After the thorough cleaning last week I wasn't sure it was going to make it. :oops:

It is looking good now and I didn't scrub clean the back and side glass or completely clean the gravel because I wanted to keep as much bacteria and critters as I could.

I have about 7 pod eaters and they all seem to be finding enough to eat which is something I was concerned about.

Last edited:

Paul B

NJRC Member
Thanks. A massive amount of work keeping the 30 fish alive with all the corals. :rolleyes:

I had to have 125 gallons of new water ready to go and heated. I also had to keep about 50 gallons of my existing water to keep the fish and corals in along with more existing water to keep the rock in. I had water all over the place. I put all the fish in that small blue tub for a few hours while I changed the water and removed most of the detritus. I didn't scrub the back wall of the tank to much because I want the algae on there for the fish to hunt.

I didn't remove the gravel or UG filter so it must be full of mud under there, something I want to keep. :eek2:

Cleaning rocks.jpg

Rock on bench.jpg

Paul B

NJRC Member
Early this dark, cold, soaking, rainy morning on my walk where I didn't see another Human being I was thinking. (Thats when I do most of my thinking, early in the morning, before the sun comes up when no one is around.)

I was thinking about fish and how they all look different while most of us Humans look very much alike. I for instance look very much like Matt Damon. :rolleyes:

We could mistake an eel for a snake or a Lionfish for some sort of bird. Flying fish resemble butterflies. They are all different but we would never mistake a person for say an aardvark or Duck billed platypus. We would know it's a person even if she were hanging up side down from a tree.

Of course if we were at a distance we may mistake an Orangutan for one of our old girlfriends, especially if our old girlfriend had a bright red butt, very hairy legs ,
was a little promiscuous so she ran around in the dark and climbed trees naked, and sported an orange beard.

You may have made a good choice to break up with her when you did. But I digress.

Why are all fish so different looking from each other when all of us are basically the same looking. To a point of course.

I think fish evolved differently partly because of the "aquascape" where they lived, the predators they encountered and the fact that their lateral line needed to be designed to work in their particular situation.

I am not sure why eels have such a long lateral line because they are not really schooling fish and not really good swimmers. Maybe it's because of the tight holes they live in but I am guessing.

But why aren't all fish shaped like tuna. After all we design submarines in the shape of tunas because it's the most streamlined shape for moving through the water and a dog faced puffer fish shaped submarine would be expensive to fashion and when it inflated, hard to dock. I really don't know.

I also believe flat schooling fish are flat because that allows their lateral line to be positioned in such a way that it could be longer than the length of the fish. It starts at the head and curves way up to the dorsal fin, then back down to the tail instead of just going straight back like say a mackerel.

I know fish depend on their lateral line as much as a teenager depends on Facebook and couldn't live 5 minutes without it. A fish can get around perfectly in the dark or with one eye just by using their lateral line. There are many totally blind fish in caves and the deep sea that have no eyes and interestingly those fish also have no color and are a sickly gray.

That brings up another point. Why are tropical fish colorful and cold water fish mostly blah or have muted colors? I have no idea. Why are Royal Gramma's bright purple and yellow when they are a deep water fish and beyond about 30' deep the only color seen is blue?

Why are any fish colorful when the only time you can see those colors are near the surface?

Why are there no copperband butterflies in Florida? How do fish know not to eat colorful but poisonous nudibranchs?

Why are all invasive species ugly, poisonous and eat everything they get near? Why don't we have any invasive moorish Idols or winners of the show "Survivor"? (I have no idea who watches that or why it is still on. I mean after the first episode or two 20 years ago, it's kind of done.)

This is the main reason I walk early in the morning. These thoughts get stuck in my mind and I can't get them out or speak to normal people about them. :rolleyes:
Rainy walk.JPG

Last edited:

Paul B

NJRC Member
From 2018, True Stories.

One time my wife and I were in church (about a year ago) we were sitting in the pew and it was a time when it was very quiet. The priest was doing what priests do and whatever he was doing, it was very quiet and of course the church is built out of marble so you can hear a roach sneeze.

The priest said something about Jesus.

All of a sudden we hear, from my wife's pocketbook, a voice, very loud and clear from the Seri on her phone say something like:

"Jesus was the son of Joseph who was a carpenter, not a union carpenter, just a regular carpenter, and sometimes went fishing with his best bud John. John was a Baptist so he hung around water a lot to baptize people. Jesus died and became the man who started one of the largest religions in the world. Would you like to meet Jesus, Mary or Josephine?"

It was something like that, (maybe not exactly) but the entire congregation turned around to look at my wife as I inched away from her.

My wife was mortified and after the mass she ran to the Lady's room. AS soon as she got in there she threw her purse in the sink and went to do her thing. Apparently Jesus heard her Seri because the sink had an automatic faucet that turns on when you put your hands under the thing. Her purse filled up with water. Of course we had to buy a new smart phone. It wasn't smart enough to swim.

WE will go to church this Sunday so I can repent for posting this.

We have a cleaning girl who comes once a week to help my wife who is a cleaning fanatic, I mean she even cleans the light bulbs (she has MS and hired a girl for the last two years to help her)

Anyway, her name is Alexa. We also have an Alexa (annoying electronic thing that talks to you) in out living room and another one in our bedroom. They remind us of appointments and help us cheat on crossword puzzles.

Yesterday the cleaning girl "Alexa" calls me on the phone. I didn't recognize her on the phone and figured she wanted me to have my chimney cleaned, lower my interest rate, or sell me solar panels

so I said:

"WHO ARE YOU?" Oh Alexa!

So my Alexa in the living room said "you can ask me things like When is George Washington's Birthday or how long do Hawksbill turtles live. Would you like me to rent you a limo? or get information about Rogain?"

So the "real" Alexa, the cleaning girl comes over to clean. She is a nice girl and cleans great. As she is cleaning in the guest room she wants to ask me something so she yells "PAUL". I said "Yes Alexa"

The Alexa in the bedroom says "Would you like information about Saint Paul? He was BFFS with Jesus and was the best looking Apostle with the best hair cut but didn't know how to ride a bicycle"

Then the Alexa in the living room says "I can order you a bicycle, tricycle or a bike built for two, would you like to learn how to say bicycle in Latin?"

Then the Alexa in the bedroom says, "I can tell you about Paul Simon or Peter Paul and Mary who were singers in the 60s. Paul Simon had this friend Garfunkle and they sang about bridges and troubled waters. Paul Simon was this cute little guy but Garfunkle looked a little Nerdy"

?

So the Alexa in the living room says "Would you like to hear about famous nerds? There was Bill Gates, Einstein and Lady GaGa's first cousin Harold". ?

?

The real Alexa, the cleaning girl said, I think maybe you should call me Mary, Eileen, Susan or even Clark, but don't call me Alexa.?

?

The Alexa in the bedroom said "Clark Kent was the Nerd name for Superman" and the Alexa in the living room said "Superman was from Krypton and everyone wonders where he put his shoes and suit when he changed from Clark Kent into Superman".?

?

You just can't make this stuff up. ?

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
What a pretty stain glass window. The craftsmanship years ago. They just don't do that anymore. If only those wall could talk.........

Paul B

NJRC Member
I agree. This "Windmill" is actually not a real windmill. I think it used t be a root cellar on a farm maybe 120 years ago. Now it's a golf course. An old guy, in his 90s told me he built that windmill part on the thing in the 60s.

They use it to take wedding pictures near a catering house. I guess they tell people they went to Holland for their Honeymoon. :biggrin: