• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank birthday and I'm a Geezer

Paul B

NJRC Member
My tank after the thorough cleaning is coming along nicely. The rocks that were to covered in sponge I had to bleach and now they are covered in short hair algae which is normal. Many of them still have pieces of dead sponge on them that are really covered in algae as I assume it is a good fertilizer.

There is a growth of algae growing on the back glass which I want and I didn't scrape it to clean when I removed the rock.

The corals are starting to open up fully and the fish seem happy and many of them are spawning. I even think my hectors gobies are spawning.

I have 4 of them and may get a couple more today. They are like eight bucks and very colorful so whats not to like. They are very small so don't hardly have any carbon footprint and you don't even have to feed them because they are pickers on algae and mulm.

Since I gave away my big Koran angelfish I have more room to add quite a few small, interesting creatures which I prefer.

Even this guy has found a home near the front of the tank so I can enjoy him

I have 3 filefish so I am not sure if I can put in crabs and shrimp. I did add 4 small hermit crabs but haven't seen them so they may have been on their menu.

I would like to try more coral now that I don't have all those sponge toxins so if I see something nice today, I will pick it up as I am going to a lfs.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I just came back from my eye plastic surgeon who removed a tiny skin cancer thing from my eyelid.
He said it looks fantastic and asked me if I wanted an eye lid lift.

I said: Like Really!!!!. Do I look like a guy who would get an eye lift? My eyelids, even the droopy one is a trademark and I like my eyes just the way they are.

I really have no need to look like Brad Pitts Sister....Peach Pitt, and prefer the look of his brother, Arm Pitt. :rolleyes:

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I just came back from my eye plastic surgeon who removed a tiny skin cancer thing from my eyelid.
He said it looks fantastic and asked me if I wanted an eye lid lift.

I said: Like Really!!!!. Do I look like a guy who would get an eye lift? My eyelids, even the droopy one is a trademark and I like my eyes just the way they are.

I really have no need to look like Brad Pitts Sister....Peach Pitt, and prefer the look of his brother, Arm Pitt. :rolleyes:
Does his brother Arm Pitt have hair???

Paul B

NJRC Member
We went to a surprise party last night for 2 of our friends. It was an anniversary and 60th birthday party in a really good restaurant that you normally can't get in.

Their kids threw it for them and there were about 130 people there which is the biggest surprise party I have ever been to for people who are not celebrities.

They were totally surprised so I am very happy. :biggrin:

Paul B

NJRC Member
Now that we changed the clocks, my morning walks are a little dark again. That is a school bus near my home on my way back.
Morning walk.JPG

Paul B

NJRC Member
Two days ago we went to a surprise party 60 miles away and yesterday I had to take my wife to one of her Doctors in the morning and another doctor 60 miles away. This morning I am taking her to her neurologist another 60 miles away and tomorrow she has to go to a physical therapist 25 miles away. :oops:

But that place is near my favorite LFS so I see more small fish in my future. Pretty soon they won't fit in my tank so I will have to devise a system where they either take turns getting in the water of do something so at least their head is under water. :unsure:

Paul B

NJRC Member
My tank after the cleaning is a produce stand of hair algae. I love it as it is sucking all sorts of things out of my tank that is probably left over from all the sponge I killed. :biggrin:

My tank after the thorough cleaning is coming along nicely. The rocks that were to covered in sponge I had to bleach and now they are covered in short hair algae which is normal. Many of them still have pieces of dead sponge on them that are really covered in algae as I assume it is a good fertilizer.

There is a growth of algae growing on the back glass which I want and I didn't scrape it to clean when I removed the rock.

The corals are starting to open up fully and the fish seem happy and many of them are spawning. I even think my hectors gobies are spawning.

I have 4 of them and may get a couple more today. They are like eight bucks and very colorful so whats not to like. They are very small so don't hardly have any carbon footprint and you don't even have to feed them because they are pickers on algae and mulm.

Since I gave away my big Koran angelfish I have more room to add quite a few small, interesting creatures which I prefer.

Even this guy has found a home near the front of the tank so I can enjoy him

I have 3 filefish so I am not sure if I can put in crabs and shrimp. I did add 4 small hermit crabs but haven't seen them so they may have been on their menu.

I would like to try more coral now that I don't have all those sponge toxins so if I see something nice today, I will pick it up as I am going to a lfs.
What kind of fish is this little dude, any personal experience with him would be appreciated, my wife loves little funky fish like this

Paul B

NJRC Member
That is a Hectors Gobi. I have 5 of them. Very cheap easy fish but your tank needs some growth as they pick on algae and tiny things growing on "mulm" in the tank.

I may get a couple more today. I doubt they would live in a newich, clean tank.

Oh wait!! You mean that waspfish? The red one. He is very cool. A little more pricy but not much. Eats just about anything and hides a lot. Doesn't really swim. But if I see another one today, I will get it

Last edited:
That is a Hectors Gobi. I have 5 of them. Very cheap easy fish but your tank needs some growth as they pick on algae and tiny things growing on "mulm" in the tank.

I may get a couple more today. I doubt they would live in a newich, clean tank.

Oh wait!! You mean that waspfish? The red one. He is very cool. A little more pricy but not much. Eats just about anything and hides a lot. Doesn't really swim. But if I see another one today, I will get it

Yes the wasp fish. Very cool. The hector's goby sounds like he'd love my sump

Paul B

NJRC Member
I think I got him for closer to $15.00 or $20.00 but another place here sells them for $69.00. I don't know why the prices vary so much.

I just came back from bringing my wife to her PT place so of course I had to go to my favorite LFS. I got three fish.

I got another one of these little bleenies. (or gobies)

Another Hectors Gobi. Now I think I have 6 of them

and a small watchman gobi.

7 hermit crabs and a cowry snail. All for $40.00. :D

Paul B

NJRC Member
Small Gobi.JPG

Now I really have way too many fish and just for my own knowledge I am going to try to count them.

2 Six Line wrasses.
2 Fire Clowns
6 Hector Gobies
1 Tomini Tang
3 File fish
1 Hippo Tang
1 Red Hawkfish
4 Pipefish
2 Sunburst Anthius
1 Black something (I forget)
2 WATCHMAN gbies
1 Cardinal
1 Perchlet
1 Long Nose Hawkfish.
2 small gobies or bleenies
1 Purple Psudo
2 Mandarins
2 Ruby Red dragonettes
1 Possum Wrasse
1 Red something
Twin Spot Gobi

38 fish. There are probably a couple that I forgot but thats close. All of them except one of the filefish, one fireclown and the hippo tang are very small.

Last edited: