• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank birthday and I'm a Geezer

Paul B

NJRC Member
Today Is Viet Nam Veterans Day. I am sure almost no one except maybe Veterans knew this day even existed :biggrin:

Paul B

NJRC Member
Yes, I just found that out. My Alexa said it was today and my other Alexa said it is March 29th. You would think I would know that. How embarassing. :oops:

Paul B

NJRC Member
Very foggy morning. I noticed this crane in a pond across the street from me in the golf course looking for fish. With all the bullfrogs and turtles in that pond the only things in there are golf balls.
The bird is huge, I thought it was an Emu. I took this picture from pretty far away because I was afraid he would pick me up and carry me back to feed his kids.
Crane.JPG
Fog.JPG

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
There was injured one by us a few years ago and contacted the local non-profit zoo, Popcorn Park Zoo.
It did not look good and wing just hung down; its stayed very close to lake edge.
The zoo guy caught it with a net in about 30mins. It was big and I have some cool shots of its head and eye.
Later the vet called and told us someone shot it with pellet/BB gun. Wing was badly damaged and would never fly again.
They sent it to some bird sanctuary in North Jersey.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Very foggy morning. I noticed this crane in a pond across the street from me in the golf course looking for fish. With all the bullfrogs and turtles in that pond the only things in there are golf balls.
The bird is huge, I thought it was an Emu. I took this picture from pretty far away because I was afraid he would pick me up and carry me back to feed his kids.
View attachment 49378
View attachment 49379

A little fuzzy, but appears to be a Great Blue Heron that's a little on the thin side. Poor boy needs to eat!

Paul B

NJRC Member
I am diatoming my tank again. I have been doing this almost every day since I removed the sponge and a hair algae produce stand grew. :oops:

This is a good thing and the algae is now dying after it has done it's thing so I am vacuuming it out. The tank is looking good and after all the algae is gone, I can re glue some of my corals back where they are supposed to go. I don't want to do that yet with the algae still there.

I am almost proud of my tank again and I feel in a couple of weeks it will be better than ever.

Th fish are spawning and corals are extending nicely without the toxins from the sponge suppressing them.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I think I posted this on here a few years ago. I used to go to work on the railroad with an older Gentleman, Jimmy and he was totally blind since he was 12 years old and lost his sight through glaucoma.

I would help him get around the train and Penn Station in Manhattan every day (but he could get around much better than me and my eyesight is perfect)

That man who is dead now taught me many things that I will never forget and changed my outlook about life in so many ways.

One day we were waiting for the train and he was holding my arm like he always did. After a while he said to me, "What did she look like?"

I said "Who?" He said "The beautiful lady that just walked by".

I asked "How do you know a beautiful lady walked by?"

"I could smell her" he said. I asked, how do you know she was good looking? He then said something that almost floored me.

He said that I (meaning me) was at a disadvantage because I could see everyone and know what they looked like. He said because he can't see, he pictures all the Ladies as beautiful.

He doesn't see black or white, acne, big noses, bad hair, wheelchair, limp or anything else. Just beautiful people. What a nice gift.

I thought that was such a deep thought and gained so much respect for a man I already had much respect for.

This man already in his late 60s went to the city on the subway every morning at 5:59 am, then at Penn Station changed to a city subway train to continue onto his job. He could have sat home and collected govt. assistance like many able bodied people do. (which I find disgusting)

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
@Paul B leaves his mark. I’m in upstate NY just north of Cooperstown doing the tourist thing at Hyde Hall, a large country estate built by George Clarke in the early 1800’s. Well they had a covered bridge built in 1825 to allow access to their estate over a small stream. I think Paul was the electrician on this job.

Hyde Hall Covered Bridge Spring.jpg

When Paul stopped in for a visit, he left his calling card. I should note that they had a sign up that clearly stated that you should not deface the bridge. Oh well!

Paul B.jpg