• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank birthday and I'm a Geezer

Paul B

NJRC Member
I caught this beautiful Filefish just now to return back to the store as he grew a little larger than I like. He is about 5" and I rather have 5 or 6 small interesting fish than this big guy. I also have 2 more of them and when they get to big, I will return them.

I caught him with this hook which I made from a needle. I have caught a few fish like this and never hurt any of them as far as I can tell.
Hook.JPG

The only other way I could catch this fish would be to remove everything from the tank.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I am still sucking out algae with my diatom filter every other day. The stuff grows long and fills up with bubbles. Unsightly but very healthy. Eventually it will stop and the tank will once again be pristine.

The corals are all extending and so far, I don't see any sponge, which was the goal of all this cleaning.

If you look close you can see the algae. Much of it is clear because it is dying.

FTS April.JPG

Paul B

NJRC Member
She has a mate but I think he's not interested. If she doesn't mate soon, she will die because they almost always get egg bound. They can't seem to release the eggs on their own. If I could catch her, which ain't gonna happen I would do a cesarian and help her out a bit. I am not sure if her insurance covers the procedure but I have done it before and it doesn't really hurt the fish. She may have a different take on it though. :confused:

Paul B

NJRC Member
So last night this Jiboni comes down the hill across from my house and flies over a speed bump. The speed limit in the complex is 10 mph but of course most go about 20, but not 60.

He drove on the wrong side of the road and took out about 60' of brand new railings.

Broken railing.JPG

Then went a hundred yards to jump over two 10"X10" posts and land on top of one of them. He laft much of his front end here.
Car wreck.JPG

The car didn't move after that but the guy went to jail.

81oblermwfl-_ac_ul640_ql65_-jpg.1739204

Paul B

NJRC Member
In the last few months since I gave away two larger fish I added quite a few smaller, more interesting fish. Of course I threw them right in so maybe ich, uronema, velvet and diphtheria will soon rear it's ugly head.

I added some of these. 2 or 3

Maybe 3 of these.

This totally very cool guy. (I am trying to get more of them)

These two guys.

Two of these Ladies and one male.

This guy

Another one of these

And these

This guy

Two of these.

And one of these

I think I have about 44 fish and I am sure I forgot some but those are the ones I can think of that I got recently with in 6 or so months.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I have to run a diatom filter on my tank almost every day to remove dying algae that keeps growing after my sponge removal.

I think I tore my rotator cuff (for the 8th time) so it is very difficult to get my left arm over the tank so I spill water all over the place.

Old diatom filters are not easy to use even with 2 good arms. :confused:

I can't wait to get this ASW out of my tank.

Paul B

NJRC Member
They keep saying we need more rain. Exactly how much do we need?

I can barely get through the puddles now.

Puddle.jpg

There is a large pond across the street from me and it has many bullfrogs in it. There is so much water in it now that the frogs get the bends when they go to the bottom and back.