• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank birthday and I'm a Geezer

In the last few months since I gave away two larger fish I added quite a few smaller, more interesting fish. Of course I threw them right in so maybe ich, uronema, velvet and diphtheria will soon rear it's ugly head.

I added some of these. 2 or 3

Maybe 3 of these.

This totally very cool guy. (I am trying to get more of them)

These two guys.

Two of these Ladies and one male.

This guy

Another one of these

And these

This guy

Two of these.

And one of these

I think I have about 44 fish and I am sure I forgot some but those are the ones I can think of that I got recently with in 6 or so months.
Are you enjoying the dragon wrasse, I didn't like mine, it was pure chaos. We named him sid, after sid vicious, seemed appropriate. Did the ruby ever get the eggs out? I have learned a lot about them from you. I got one dragonet in my tank now, my next tank I'm going to go pretty heavy on them. Very interesting fish. They seem dumb at first but have adapted to my tank the best of any fish I've had. I think he was more confused than anything when they first come out of the wild.

Paul B

NJRC Member
My Ruby Red is still very pregnant and the male is a dope. I am not sure she will expel the eggs. The dragon wrasse i can't find. But many times I can't find a fish for a month. I have had them before and I know what you mean. I forgot how much of a pain they are so I won't feel bad if I can't find it. :p

So I spent today in the emergency room in the hospital. I like to do that when I have nothing to do but this morning I moved a certain way like when I do the Macarana and tore some more of my rotator cuff. I had I think 7 surgeries to repair these things. I think my surgeon used those aluminum toggle bolts from Home Depot because my rotator cuff repairs don't last to long. I just had it fixed a year and a half ago and the warranty is over.

I dropped my phone and reached for it with the arm with the torn rotator cuff and I hit the ceiling. And it was just painted.

Immediate pain like when you accidently lay in fire coral while wearing a Speedo. They gave me a shot and I have an appointment with my shoulder surgeon but this time I want an entirely new shiny aluminum shoulder.

This way I can give people the cold shoulder.
My problem is soon we are taking the family on a cruise to Bermuda so I can't get it fixed until we get back so I will have to suck up the pain for a couple of months and just rely on alcohol. :)

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Paul, sorry to hear about your shoulder. Glad to see you haven't lost your sense of humor. My mom keeps telling me to enjoy today, it will only get worse. Geez, thanks Mom. ;)

Paul B

NJRC Member
Thanks Guys. But I am used to it. I tore my rotator cuff I think 7 times so far and the day isn't over yet. If you reach my age and didn't break a bunch of bones and tear most of your other parts, you didn't do enough in your life. :p

The surgeries are fun but the aftermath is a pain because they make you go to therapy which is great for people who don't do anything all day except watch re runs of Seinfeld. :)

This will be my 32nd surgery where they knocked me out. The biggest issue is that I have to take care of my wife and she can't do much. She fell yesterday in the bathroom and between the two of us, it was a comedy show to get up.

I will have to deal with this until we get back from Bermuda but that isn't for a month or so. :confused:

Paul B

NJRC Member
I am so "Lucky" that I was able to put about 10 fish in my tank in the last few months all from a filthy store where many of the fish exhibited ich and all kinds of other things and yet, I haven't lost anything to disease.

Now I probably have 45 healthy fish none of which were medicated, quarantined or sung to without one loss. My "luck" is unfathomable.

Even on my tangs or other Ich magnets.

I am going to go and call retired Supermodels to see if any of them want to come here to help me look at my tank. Maybe they have better eyesight and can see ich, velvet of Broknella or whatever it is called. :p

Paul B

NJRC Member
This morning I went down to the beach armed with a bucket because it was low tide. The tides here rise about 8' so the water goes way out at low tide and it exposes the rocks that line the bottom of the Sound.

There weren't thousands of amphipods like there will be in a couple of weeks but I got a nice supply. I also collected "Moose" amphipods which are about half to three quarters of an inch for my breeding population.

The main reason I collect this time of the year is for the mud with associated bacteria. I brought home about a cup of that which is also loaded with tiny copepods and amphipods.

After dumping out the floating very fine mud, I added the rest to my tank to the delight of my fish. :)

Paul B

NJRC Member
I lost both of these fish today. The yellow clown gobi I found him half stuck in my Gyre powerhead. He croaked.

And the little bleeny, I accidently caught in my diatom filter. I quickly opened the thing up and got him out. Then I caught him again.
He instantly swam into the inlet as I was putting the screen on. (I do that underwater just after I start it)

I again got him out but he looked like he got hit by a school bus. I put him back in the tank and immediately a cardinal fish ate him whole.

The cardinal was also pretty small and I didn't think he could eat him.

When you keep many tiny fish, this happens. Rarely, but it happens.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Here in New York we have to get our cars inspected every year. If we don't, we can't renew our registration. The fee for the inspection is set by the state and it isn't much but it allows repair shops to get your car in to "inspect".

If it fails, you can't take the car home and you have to either have it fixed there, or tow it.

I have been driving since 1967 and have never paid anyone to work on any of my cars or boats because in another life I was a mechanic and I don't trust anyone's work, especially on brakes.

Of course now I have a torn rotator cuff and can't install brakes or rotors on my car until I get it repaired so after I inspected it on the rack in the place I had it inspected I saw it had a cracked rotor. Something I could have replaced in 20 minutes and the entire job would have cost me $150.00 for parts.

I had to pay $600.00 for this job. I can't believe people pay these prices for simple mechanic repairs. This was just the rear brakes. I replaced the front brakes 2 years ago. I assume for all four wheels it would have been $1,200.00 which I feel is ludicris.

The next time I need an inspection I will inspect the brakes before I go and replace them if needed. :(

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I wish I was mechanically inclined. I need rotors and brakes on all 4 wheels of the Mustang. I know I will screwed on price but not even sure where to go and trust its done properly.