• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank birthday and I'm a Geezer

Paul B

NJRC Member
It was very foggy for my beach walk this morning.

Foggy steps.jpeg

I made it to the steps but couldn't even tell where the sea began and the sand ended.

I walked and walked and did find, as usual a stranded horseshoe crab with his tail sticking straight up.

I didn't take a picture because I waste so much film on those guys and I figured he was dead because of the flies and the horde of seagulls standing around him.

I gently kicked him and to my amazement the thing was still alive. In the millions of years these things have been alive you would think that just once they would look down at their legs and realize they don't have feet and those points at the ends of their legs don't work for walking on land so they need to stay in the water. It is not really my job every morning to save them ;Meh

I gingerly put him back in the water where he waved his tail at me and kind of made it into deeper water where he will probably get eaten by a walrus.

A short while later I found a full can, really a plastic container of freshly shucked clams. Now I am sure I am feeding my fish the correct thing because thats exactly what they eat in the sea. ;Happy

There was even an almost brand new stainless steel scissors next to it which of course I took as most fish don't have thumbs to use them anyhow.

I walked and walked and I was soaked because it was so foggy.

Foggy beach.jpeg

But the best thing is to follow and will blow the minds off of scientists world over.

I kept going and it was getting foggier and foggier. I could barely make out the stairs at the end of my journey.

I plodded through,closer and closer and when I could barely make out the steps.

I noticed something out of the corner of my eye.

OMG.

Could it be!!!!!!

Yes.

Right in front of me, a few steps away I saw it.

The Loch Ness Unicorn

Nessie.jpeg

:p

Paul B

NJRC Member
This morning after a day yesterday of 4 1/2 hours on the phone with my internet provider and my TV manufacturer Samsung I got "most" of my devices working. One Alexa is still argueing with me but I think she is coming around because she told me to come back later. :rolleyes:

I had a little internet problem so they told me I needed a new router. I got one and the guy said "Just plug it in and it will work and you will be good to go"

Of course that is totally something my algae bleeny would tell me as electronics never work like that.

I won't go into it but it took 4 1/2 hours for them to get most of my devices to work.

I remember when I was a kid in the 50s, we had one TV. It was black and white and made out of wood. That is the same things we made trees out of.

You plugged it in and it worked . No passwords, no router, WAS or SSI or WASSI, networks, passwords, EPMI or EDMI Edanomi, whatever they are cables, no internet,
WiFi, signal strength, FPS ?, roaming etc.

Just a plug into the wall, maybe adjust the rabbit ears and grab a beer, or for me an apple juice as I didn't drink beer in the 50s.

Of course we only had 6 stations and all of them would go off at about 10PM. :confused: But they were all free no matter how long you watched.

We didn't care because we were playing outside no matter what the weather was.

Today we have 5,000 stations and it cost us over $300.00 a month for it and there is still nothing on we want to see. :rolleyes:

I went on my morning walk about 6:00 and met quite a few of my friends. This little guy almost comes up to me now and soon I will maybe bring him some leftover linguine and clams as a snack. I think that is rabbits favorite food.

thumbnail.jpg

I also saw 8 deer and one of them I think is starting to like me, or at least not run away so fast as he feels he can out crawl this Geezer.
Morning (2).jpg

Paul B

NJRC Member
Before the sun went down it was very hot so I got this huge, 7' beach umbrella to put on the back of my boat for shade. I think everyone was jealous.

As the show was in full swing I blasted "God Bless America" from my boat speakers as did some other boats and the small floating "barge" restaurant at the marina.

After that all the boats blew their horns to wake up all the horseshoe crabs sleeping under docks. (The crabs hate that) :angry:

The boats were decorated in Christmas lights or just colored lights and it was a great night.

Of course we are old and had to leave right after the show to go to sleep. :disgust:

Not long ago we would have stayed there all night. But if you are lucky, you Whippersnappers will get there.

My photo hosting service is down now so make believe below this are pictures of me in my boat with Angelina Jolie along with 27 other people dancing and doing cartwheels while fireworks are exploding in a display larger than the start of the Chinese Olympics on the opening day and Circ de Solei are hanging over the boat on trapezes hung from hot air balloons carrying bald eagles singing the National Anthem to the sound of Harp music. :biggrin:

Paul B

NJRC Member
This was a normal day as every day after you retire is cause for celebration and a party. :p

This morning like most mornings I walked on the beach to watch the sunrise.
Always beautiful
Beach walk.jpeg

I never walked this way before because this beach if a few hundred yards west of where I live so it was new to me and of course at 6:00am I almost never see anyone.

I live on top of bluffs where the beach is way below and we all have "beach stairs" to get down to the beach. Some of them are pretty cool but may be a little scary.

Good beach stsairs.jpeg

;beach stairs 1.jpeg

But being it is not always a great idea building something on a sandy cliff, some of them don't last to long. This one is only the top 20' so you have to roll down the bottom 100'

beach stairs 2.JPG

This one is a little precarious and if you are a Girly Man, maybe you shouldn't climb them :unsure:
Beach stairs 3.jpeg

I think the premise of this one is after you climb up this 15' platform you can then get cell service to call an Uber and they can lower a rope from the top or hire a helocopter. :cool:

Beach platform.jpeg

Paul B

NJRC Member
orange moon.jpeg

Check out the "moon" at sunrise. I thought it was the sun until I saw on the news that the moon was orange from fires in Texas thousands of miles away.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Thanks. My book made another $500.00 which I will donate to the National MS Society in my wife's name. I will post the receipt from them when I get it which may be 2 months. :biggrin:

Paul B

NJRC Member
This morning on my beach walk I saw something I have never seen there before. No, Not Angelina Jolie.
Two deer.

We have deer all over the place and I counted 12 of them on my way to the beach, but I didn't think they could get down this loose sand hill that has 176 stairs on it. (The deer are not allowed to go down the stairs)

There are two of them here. They were down on the beach when I got down there, maybe looking for clams or amphipods which they may have seen me doing a few times. :cautious:

That hill is so steep that even ants have a hard time getting up there, but when I got closer, they went up as if they were on the escalator in Macys 34th street store at Christmas time. :biggrin:

Deer on hill.jpeg

Paul B

NJRC Member
So yesterday some Jiboni from my marina was putting diesel fuel in his boat, but he accidentally put 12 gallons of it into the "rod holder hole" instead of the fuel tank. Oops!

So it all went into his bilge and swirled around his engine. Instead of staying there and having someone pump it out, he took off.

This is the mouth of a river and in a few hundred yards becomes a salt water bay (Peconic Bay) then out to the Atlantic.

Either he turned on his bilge pump or it came on automatically and all that oil spread across my marina and the entire width of the river and out to sea.

My marina had a sheen on it and a strong smell of diesel oil which is very pungent. The ducks there frown on that.

Next thing I know there are maybe 15 police cars, Dept. of Environmental Conservation, Fire Marshals, Coast Guard and even Taylor Swift.

They all had their summons books out but I think Taylor Swift was writing a song about bubble gum.

When that guy comes back, he will have to take out a huge loan to cover these fines, more even that if he wanted to start a 125 gallon SPS reef. :rolleyes:

Paul B

NJRC Member
Captains License and that was the hardest course I ever took.
It's not just navigation, that is a small part and no electronics are allowed. It's all with a compass, paper and pencil. (and of course whatever you can write on your arm before the test)

They give you questions like:

"You are leaving buoy #6 in Chesapeake Bay at 0400 hours on a Tuesday. There is an 8 1/2 knot easterly current and the wind is out of the north at 15 knots.

A Russian trawler is 7 points off your port bow traveling at 6 knots and you can hear "In a Godda Da Vita" blasting from the Captains quarters while a 9 year old child wearing a fedora, drinking Vodka seems to be steering..

You are heading through the Bermuda Triangle while 7 US Air Force plans from the 40s circle overhead obviously running out of fuel.

You see something in the water ahead of you and think it's a blue whale, but it is the Nautilis nuclear submarine that sunk decades ago and it still has remnants of giant squid tentacles stuck to it's hull.

The Captain of that Iconic boat is screaming at you for help but all you can do is offer him some cold chicken wings from last nights Superbowl game. His ship sinks back into the darkness.

Now you are heading toward your goal on the southern coast of France and it is eerily quiet. Too quiet. So quiet that you can't even hear the humming bird circling around your head.

The plastic garbage in the water is gently swirling in a counter clockwise direction.

Nothing to see. You can't even see the water between the empty bottles of Perrier water and your ship seems to be floating on a mist so fine as to not even be there. Your depth gauge tells you the water is 800 feet deep and as you look over the side you can see the linoleum on the bottom as if it is right under you....... All of a sudden something blue comes into view. :oops:

It gets clearer and clearer and to your horror, it is an Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser. A 1968 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser with bumper guards and a child's seat in the back.

What could this mean? :cautious:

Just then,,,,,,,,The instructor tells the class it's time to take a break.

Paul B

NJRC Member
What a frightening walk I had this morning :eek: I got up in the middle of the night as I couldn't sleep. I can never sleep. So I went for a walk even though it was pitch black outside and the sun wouldn't rise for at least an hour.

I walked about half a mile and I heard this wild animal that I assumed was a bear. We normally don't have bears here on Long Island New York but there is a train that comes here.

The thing got closer and closer and now it was so close to me that even though it was to dark to see, I could smell penguins and peanut butter on his breath. I think it was Jiffy peanut butter.

All I had with me was my designer, aluminum walking stick with this sexy little strap on top and a rubber tip. I raised the stick hoping to scare the beast but the smell of the peanut butter just got stronger. Now I could hear it's stomach rumbling and I knew I was in trouble.

In the inky darkness it lunged for me and I could feel it's thick fur on my legs. (I also had sexy shorts on that my wife bought me last year)

I stabbed at him with my aluminum walking stick which just made it madder and faster.
My left hand was busy fighting the thing off with the stick while my right hand was trying to put the code in my cell phone so I could take a picture. I just changed the code last week and was having trouble with the last two digits. 7,8,,,,no,,6, 5,,,49?

I took a few pictures but they didn't come out in the dark melee.

I finally put the phone in my mouth so I could reach out with my right hand to try to poke him in the eye, but I missed and grabbed a hank of hair. I think it was his eyebrow. :boxing:

I yanked as hard as I could and my hand was full of fur. The creature screamed and seemed to rear up because I could feel him brush my head as I assumed he was falling. I then heard him crawling off into the forest, defeated and broken.

He never tussled with a bald, retired, electrician I guess and he never will again.

On my way back I had to walk through that same place. I expected to see a blood trail heading off into the trees but all I saw was this little squirrel with no tail.

The squirrel was eating a jar of peanut butter. Now don't think this squirrel had anything to do with my "bear" encounter because this squirrel was eating "Peter Pan" peanut butter and not "jiffy" which smells completely different. :rolleyes:

If any of the pictures come out I could prove it.