• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Tank is heating up

I'm on vacation and i havent put in the window unit in the room the tank is in before i left. its getting really hot in there needless to say. I dont have a chiller or anything. The temp has gone up to 84-86 for about 15 hours or so now. is there anything that i can do to cool down the water? im pretty sure my corals will die, but im still a little hopeful

If someone can access your tank, ask if they can open the door(s) to your sump. Point a strong fan in the direction of your sump and tank to keep the temps down. Good luck!

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
A fan blowing over your sump or display will drop the temp a few degrees quickly and efficiently. The method is evaporative cooling, so just make sure you have extra ATO water on hand.

Fan works great but you will have to have someone fill top off everyday because the fan will cause major evaporation!!!!

thanks everyone. i have a fan in the room, i'll have someone put it over the water surface. i have an 18 gallon reservoir of water so i think that should be good. luckily the forecast looks better after today until i get home

thanks everyone. i have a fan in the room, i'll have someone put it over the water surface. i have an 18 gallon reservoir of water so i think that should be good. luckily the forecast looks better after today until i get home

It sounds like you could use one of these:

PinPoint Dual Output Temperature Controller w/ Hydor 400W Heater & BNIB Air King 6” 2spd Fan
(This will control any heater or cooling device, i.e. chiller, fan, etc., up to 12A.)

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewit...FaMcOgodxykATQ
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/air-king-fan.html?gclid=CIPc-dWLzb4CFeMF7AodegQARw

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Last summer my A/C went out and I put a bunch of ice pak's in a zip lock and threw them in the return section of the sump. That worked pretty good.

I like the idea of freezing water bottles though. I think if you froze a few unopened bottles of spring water and put them in when needed, that would do the trick too. I guess as long as the bottle is sealed, it could be anything frozen - Gatorade, flavored waters, etc.

I like the idea of freezing water bottles though. I think if you froze a few unopened bottles of spring water and put them in when needed, that would do the trick too. I guess as long as the bottle is sealed, it could be anything frozen - Gatorade, flavored waters, etc.

+1. just be sure to remove the labels/glue.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Bottle up some saltwater and freeze that....two benefits.....if the bottle leaks, who cares and, it will cool your tank quicker because of the depressed freezing temperature of saltwater.

A friend on RC keeps his top off water in a small refrigerator and drilled it to send cool water to his sump. He gets about a 1 to 1.5 degree drop.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Cool idea, but I'd be careful doing that. Refrigerators sometimes have coils throughout the side walls insulation. Drilling through that could kill the fridge! :eek: