• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

The 210 tank build

As Mike said, keep in mind that temp is important with these fish. You also need a very secure cover, no holes at all, or the fish will end up on the floor. In my limited experience, blue spots are a lot more active than pearly heads, but the downside is that they also seem to me to be more delicate. We had one that we lost to blue spot disease, we had to euthanize. Do watch out pairing them with very small animals, our guy ate a pistol shrimp about a month ago.

I'm already pushing my candycane pistols luck with a wrasse and hawkfish. That added with the lower temps I don't think I will go the way of a blue spot jawfish, even though its one of the most beautiful fish IMO.

Thanks for the info

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Mike

Do you prefer Elos Amino Acid over Zeo Amino Acid? If so, is there a noticeable difference?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I dosed zeo alonso while ago but use Elos now. I think they are all pretty similar.

howze01

NJRC Member
I don't like your recent update. Now I miss having a tank....

It is looking absolutely amazing guys. It's good to see such a well thought out plan come to fruition. You have put a ton of planning and work into it an it shows!

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
There are things you will need to learn about your build that you can only learn when the build is up and running. One of our lessons was that due to the height of the build, the lights hit you right in the eyes, especially when we were sitting on the couch. We had to leave the light really low which led to spotlighting and bleaching of our purple stylo and one of the reasons we were not bringing our corals up from the frag tank. Ethan and I brain stormed about what we could do and came up with a floating canopy which would attach to the light bar. I got all the materials and Ethan built it while we were away in Aruba. Needless to say it came out amazing, and Ethan put a lot of time into it so big kudos to him. So of course now the pictures:

The new full tank shot:
DSC_3123_zpsb2e2085d.jpg

Some new fish that have been moved up:
Attenuatus wrasse from AO:
DSC_3273_zpsb2d4c735.jpg

DSC_3227_zpsf7ce0681.jpg

DSC_3216_zpsfa8bc452.jpg

DSC_3151_zps940b0465.jpg

DSC_3148_zps83262b38.jpg

Lineatus Wrasse from Trop:
DSC_3132_zps1a3b79aa.jpg

Borbonius Anthias, one from AO one from Elos:
DSC_3176_zps5d11345f.jpg

DSC_3229_zpsf4351eca.jpg

Blue spot jawfish from Absolutely Fish:
DSC_3243_zps1fda7109.jpg

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Some corals from the frag tank:
DSC_3113_zps8675dd93.jpg

DSC_3114_zps4eefaca9.jpg

DSC_3121_zps4f9b642b.jpg

DSC_3122_zps2c07b499.jpg

Some Photosynthetic gorgonians which we picked up today at AO, go get these now.
DSC_3201_zps0bbf0bc8.jpg

DSC_3264_zps4b870088.jpg

DSC_3261_zps2356c404.jpg

This one is from Elos:
DSC_3198_zps7ad6f717.jpg

Space Invader Pectina:
DSC_3228_zps5bf71d30.jpg

One last picture of a barnacle blenny:
DSC_3231_zps198c89f2.jpg

The canopy is acrylic, the finish on the acrylic matches the stand almost perfectly.
Ethan did a fantastic job, it looks even nicer in person.

Very nice setup! It looks like you guys really took your time and planned it out. Your system looks amazing! Especially the fish room.

Very nice setup! It looks like you guys really took your time and planned it out. Your system looks amazing! Especially the fish room.
Thanks, but we can't take the credit- Ethan is the real mind behind our setup. The smartest thing we did was call him when we were ready to buy the tank (before we bought it), and listen to him when he told us what he thought we should do.
The system is coming along nicely, we are both enjoying having so much water volume to play with!

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
love the update! I am always amazed looking at the stuff you guys have in your frag tank. The floating canopy looks awesome too, the seemless look makes it look really slick and professionally made.

Thanks Judeo!
We are excited to start moving coral upstairs to the DT now that the canopy is up and the lights are at the correct height.
We moved two of my porites rocks with christmas tree worms up yesterday, but the frag tank certainly has a lot of coral in it! We hope to move more of it upstairs over the next few months.

Nikki

The canopy looks great!

Are you using a screen on the DT to contain the wrasses?

I have to figure out how to keep the back of my tank secure before I add a Midas blenny

Bax, we do have a cover. It sits inside, below the level of the glass, it is held in place by squares that sit on the corners of the tank. Ethan made it, and it both looks good and is effective in keeping the fish in, thankfully.

So, we spent some time doing maintenance today. Step one: clean the frag tank and do a water change. Step two: catch hermits and snails we siphoned out to the tank and into the sink and return them to tank. Step three: mutter profanity under my breath, then cut the tubing to remove the scarlet hermit that was stuck in tubing. Step four: add tubing to shopping list.
We also cut a couple of small frags today to move upstairs: (1) Jason Fox Scroll Coral, (2) Jason Fox Meteor Shower Cyphestra, and (3) a piece of orange digi that had broken off of our frag downstairs.

The birds nests, seotsa, sunset monti (safely away from everything else), gold hammer, gold torch, orange plate, and Space Invader Pectina are all doing well, as are the corals we added last week- several gorgonians, Tubbs Stilatta (spelling?), Porites & christmas tree worms. The purple stylo is finally looking purple again, and the Ferrari coral (Green spiralis) and Orange spiralis are looking better too.
We also brought three of our small zoa colonies up, one of space monsters, two other non-name colonies that are pretty. It is nice to look at the tank and start to see coral growth.

Now for what you have all been waiting for, the acro update: when we were dipping the acros today, I did not see any AEF eggs. I didn't see any AEF either, but that may have been because the dip was blue and cloudy.This is the first time in months that we have dipped our acros and have not seen (1) bite marks or (2) eggs. At this rate, we could have acros in the DT in next month!!

We saw our pair of magnificent gobies today for the first time in a month today, which was exciting.
Our current fish stock list in the DT includes:
1. Lineatus wrasse
2. Attenuatis wrasse
3 & 4. Flame wrasse pair
5.7. Helfrichi trio
8 & 9. Picasso clown & black ice clown pair
10. Gold Assessor Basslet
11 & 12. Pair of blotchy anthers
13. Blue Spot Jawfish
14 & 15. Magnificent Goby Pair
16. Swalesi Basslet
17. Sunburst Anthia
18. Yasha Goby
19. Aurelentas Anthia
20. Joculator Angel
21. False Shephardi Angel
22. Cleaner Goby
23-??. Group of Barnacle Blennies

We lost both the Nahaki's and the Bell's. The Bell's was doing well for us, and then just disappeared one day. The Nahaki's was not doing well, but we were having trouble catching him. By the time we finally caught him and pulled him to treat him, we were too late.

Last edited: