• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

The 210 tank build

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I will measure when I get home but at least a foot. The corals look so much better at this height and the light is spread much more evenly.

Good news: We appear to have finally won the AEF war. I'll be doing one last round of dips, likely tonight. The last time flat worms, or flat worm eggs, were seen was before we left for Aruba.
We have not seen any sign of FW, or eggs, in a month. Cross your fingers for us!

If (and that is a please-God-let-them-be-gone if) the dips are clean, we will start moving Acros up to the DT this weekend. As a preventive measure, everything that gets moved upstairs will be cut before it is moved, so there is no chance a stray egg or FW can get into our DT.

Big thanks to Darren for all of his help with this, the war would have continued much longer if it had not been for you!

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
That's great news guys! Do you think the new dip you were using played a big role in this?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I think it helped. We really fought the war over several fronts.

1. Flatworm Stop by Zeo. I have stated my opinion on this many times, does not kill flatworms but it does make your corals look amazing and healthy which always helps.
2. Revive dips. Kills the adults but does nothing to the eggs.
3. Manual removal of flat worms.
4. Putting IC gel right over the eggs when we saw them. You will see some of our frags have big spots of dried glue on them, now you know why.
5. The new dip. I think this helped kill off anything that was left.

We will probably dip with revive and maybe the new one again. The problem with the new dip is that is tints the water blue which makes it hard to see what is getting knocked off. Revive you can see the stuff that gets knocked off which is great.

Your tank looks amazing. Ethan does awesome work. Sorry for being lazy I am to read from the beginning. What is the new dip? What is it named?

We Have Acros In The DT!!!

The dip mike referred to was Reef Pest Solutions All Out Dip.

We moved five acros up to the DT tonight. I can't begin to tell you the last time I was this excited. To top it off, one of my favorite LFS had acro crabs, so I got to add acros AND acro crabs to the DT today. (yay)

I am soo excited to begin to plan out where the other acros are going to go in the DT.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Played around in the frag tank for a while and got some pics. My apologies these are a little blue, I will get better under the t5s
Shazaams:
DSC_3280_zps5b806ea6.jpg

Reefkoi's insane watermelon. The brightness on this one is out of control:
DSC_3294_zps41c14661.jpg

ASD ghostrider:
DSC_3296_zps36ff903a.jpg

Scoly feeding time:
DSC_3300_zpse30fd6c6.jpg

DSC_3302_zps83a0dfa4.jpg

DSC_3303_zps22617571.jpg

DSC_3304_zpsea1237f2.jpg

Acro:
DSC_3306_zps6e9c3943.jpg

Some acans:
DSC_3310_zps9571fa4f.jpg

Solar flares:
DSC_3312_zpsab73ce91.jpg

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
SCOP
DSC_3315_zpsdb564cdc.jpg

JF Arabella on the left and Banana Banshee on the right:
DSC_3321_zps0f9b3f8a.jpg

Gonipora that has encrusted and grown very well for us. This is the shorter hardier version and has been great:
DSC_3322_zps0af12efa.jpg

Joe Knows Reef really cool coral
DSC_3323_zpsb449680a.jpg

ASD Decepticons revenge (I think)
DSC_3324_zps691b659f.jpg

4 color wm
DSC_3326_zpsab4bcf33.jpg

Upscale microlades:
DSC_3329_zps681ae005.jpg

Tierre del fuego:
DSC_3330_zps40e88701.jpg

Garf purple bonsai with a green slimer from downbeach
DSC_3331_zps59300454.jpg

JF porites:
DSC_3335_zpse3c167b7.jpg

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Last but not least our pair of wild caught clowns. These guys are tough to get a picture of but at least you can see the cool patterns and color on them:
DSC_3346_zpse3b20f45.jpg

DSC_3347_zps9a5f1c68.jpg

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I'm really liking the ASD ghost rider. Everything looks great guys. Can't wait to see the display filled up. Keep up the good work

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I will have to get some display pics up soon. They corals that were moved up have very nice polyp extension and color right now. I want them to settle a little bit and then will fire off some pics.

The ghostrider is a really nice piece. I wish I had taken the time to properly mount it, chalices growing down just takes so long.

UPDATE: We have had 5 acros in the DT for one week, as of Saturday. A red planet, a green slimer, an efflo, and two unidentified but pretty acros we have had since the heyday of the 45g cube in 2010.

So far, all five are doing well in the DT, with lots of polyp extension and good color. The Purple stylo is once again purple, which is exciting, and the birdsnest frags are looking great under the LEDs as well. The two pectina frags we have upstairs, the cyphestra, and the LPS and gorgonians are looking good too.