• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

The SHELLY tank

I finished the cabinet doors by placing handles and magnetic catches. The locks stopped a small vibration of the doors when walking in the room.
IMG_8839.JPG
I also placed the purple tang in the display tank today. At first the yellow tang chased him. He found a couple places he likes in the upper levels, where the yellow tang doesn't go and has settled in.IMG_8914.JPG
The rest of the fish include the yellow tang.
IMG_8860.JPG
There is also a flame angel.
Clown Fish.JPG
And two clownfish.
Clownfish 2.JPG
An orchid Dottyback.
Dottyback 2.JPG
The last fish is a diamond goby.
IMG_8794.JPG
I may or may not bring over the yellow wrasse. I think the yellow tang likes to swim with him and will help keep it calm, but I would like to add a few more shrimp. Plus my fire shrimp is much more active and visible in this setup. I am not sure if this is because the wrasse is not around.

Attachments

• Dottyback (2).JPG
    Dottyback (2).JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 6

deepblue68

POTM Winner
great looking tank and beautiful fish. I like the clowns. so nice to see and not some kind of hybrid mish mosh

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Love the tank. Good luck with it and keep it updated. Always enjoy reading about someones tank. Your goby is cute. One thing I miss about not having sand in my tank is I can't have a goby

The goby is one reason I tried to make pillars, so the bottom corals wouldn't be covered by sand.

The purple tang is now swimming around like he owns the tank and the yellow tang is leaving him alone.

Evidently, I have a good luck charm, also named Mark. Mark C was coming over for some live rock yesterday. I have some in my old tank and went to look at it. The yellow wrasse, apparently not wanting to go to the new tank, dove into the sand to hide from me one again as he has been doing all month. This is the same yellow wrasse from my non-winning January photo contest entry. This time it hid like a 2 year old along the bottom edge of the tank (instead of by a rock), with just its eye and a little yellow showing. I placed a little sand in a small refugium, I previously got from Mark C, and tried to box him in. He only moved a few inches to reposition into the deeper sand in the refugium and I was able to remove him to the new tank. I had to dump the sand out into the tank to get him out and he went down at the same speed as the sand and disappeared into it. I haven't seen him yet today. I should have invited Mark C. over a month earlier!
This is the refugium during acclimation in the new tank. I caught all my fish using this refugium for the tank transfer.
DSCN5559.JPG
Here is a photo of the wrasse hiding near a rock earlier.
IMG_8258.JPG
And another rock hiding place with sand on the nose. I was so anxious to catch him this time I didn't take a photo in the new spot.
IMG_0162.JPG

I had a problem with my original sump shown below. I cracked the glass separating the return. I had originally planned to use stained glass, but it was too thin. Essentially, the water came in through the sock and either flowed towards the refugium or the skimmer, then around the refugium and into the return section. It didn't leave enough room to lift the skimmer out.
IMG_2425.JPG Here you can see the crack in the divider as I removed the original sump. Unfortunately I lost a lot of pods emptying the sump.
IMG_2427.JPG
I had to rotate the sump to get in place. I used a $5 plastic cutting board for the divider. The spacing does not leave enough room for all types of sumps, so I need to be careful when I can finally upgrade. Note the slightly lowered weir in the plastic to concentrate the flow and make it more laminar.IMG_2429.JPG
This view down the drain pipe shows how closed the gait valve is (1 inch PVC) IMG_2430.JPGHere is the syphon drain into the sock, emergency drain and return plumbing and ATO. I do have some 3/4" braided tubing for when I replace the pump as 1" is too stiff.
IMG_2431.JPG
This time the refugium is against the front glass. IMG_2432.JPGHere is a look into the return section. Ideally this section should be about 3 times the size. Porous filter material breaks the water falling and eliminates microbubbles. I do have a problem with the ATO alarm going off occasionally due to the small return area volume.
IMG_2434.JPG
Here is the working setup including the skimmer raised on filter material in bags and heaters (I use 3 undersized heaters for redundancy and overheating protection). I will be replacing the refugium light. IMG_2455.JPG

Keep them updates coming. Love what you are doing. Really liked the view down the pipe showing gate valve opening. Super informative. Also liked the idea of the dip in the weir. Interesting enough I also utilized a cutting board in my sump. I did not like the idea of putting my hand in glass holes for the filter sock and the idea of constantly stressing it putting them in

Here are a few flower anemones in the tank. they were all at the sand level in my last tank which wasn't the best with the goby moving sand.
I do feed them occasionally as they are less in the food path currently.
Flower anemone (2).JPG Flower anemone 3.JPG Flower anemone 4.JPG Flower anemone 6.JPG Flower anemone 7.JPG Flower Anemone.JPG

Well I have no corals... yet. Water goes in this week. Would you recommend after tank is fully cycled to go with rockflowers first so they can find where they want to be and then start corals or it doesn’t really matter?

Here are a few items in the aquarium. First I brought over the purple sponge from the last tank on the rocks I turned over. I have it several places so I will need to keep an eye on it.
IMG_9341.JPG
I also brought over some blue encrusting sponge. It is receding a little in the brighter light and zoas are taking its place. Zoas did not do well in my last tank..
IMG_9346.JPG
Here is another zoa with both types of sponge visible.
IMG_9326.JPGYou can see an unusual brown sponge just to the right of this small green toadstool mushroom.
IMG_9269.JPG
This toadstool was brough over from my last tnk without a rock. I have had problems securing it. Here it is inside the rockwork.
IMG_9283.JPG
While the old rockwork had coralline algae, the new rockwork is starting to get covered.

IMG_9281.JPG
I have a Duncan frag that fell to the sand. This hammer faired better.
IMG_9266.JPG
An here is another zoa I am trying to find a place for which had also been knocked over.
IMG_9338.JPG

Well now you have done it. You just listed another animal I haven’t considered. Sponges... seriously are they hard to keep, are they hitch hikers or placed. GREAT PHOTOS

funny thing is. My name on this Forum is in honer of my dog that recently past away and has nothing to do with reefing. So while your laughing that I didn’t know that sponges where a thing in the hobby (I know I am :) ) understand it’s just a funny coincidence lol