• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

The stuff of nightmares

My wife saw a worm munching on one of our trumpets. I didn't believe her until she caught this guy!

huqepy7a.jpg

ga7eqege.jpg

Not sure if it's a bristleworm or fireworm. Ths thing stretches out to about 4 inches!! Yikes!!

mrehfeld

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Wow a 4 inch coral eating machine. It sounds like its time for a late night lights out stake out of your tank.

Yeah I find these on my chaeto all the time, but never this big. This one was on the display tank. I heard some people trap these regularly like every 3 months or so to keep from getting big. I may start doing that.

Nightmares or not I'm one of the guys that have them and love them. Great scavengers and it's likely the coral head they were eating was probably going downhill. I've never seen them eating healthy coral or fish.

Nightmares or not I'm one of the guys that have them and love them. Great scavengers and it's likely the coral head they were eating was probably going downhill. I've never seen them eating healthy coral or fish.

I used to think the same exact way. But I will try to catch any worms that are around that size. I'll let the small ones do their thing. Does it look like a bristleworm or a fireworm?

Thx for the links Jim.