• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

True Frag Swap

This was very well thought out. This is not MR. Just trying to show the concept that they used without "MONEY".

[video=youtube;2tzkgfGySak]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tzkgfGySak&feature=player_embedded[/video]

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Cool idea. To make things easier and a bit faster I would separate the corals in groups on the table. One section all SPS, Softies, etc.

grink

NJRC Member
Great Idea!!!!
Sure it would help a lot of those starting out or short on cash.
If you ever want to try this count me in. I will help out anyway I can.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ricwilli, weren't you at the April event last year. We did just about the same thing, but we didn't have the little specimen containers!

Seems that way. I would think that most would be will to offer up a few frags from their collection for the oppertunity to gain a few from someone elses. Also in the vid they stated that a few sponsers also sent frags,colonys, and gift certificates to add to the mix.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looks like a lot of fun! I agree with Mark that corals should be broken down into groups to make selections faster and easier. I'd also suggest having someone other than Mike label them so they're legible. :eek:
I'd definitely participate.

Looks like a lot of fun! I agree with Mark that corals should be broken down into groups to make selections faster and easier. I'd also suggest having someone other than Mike label them so they're legible. :eek:
I'd definitely participate.

I must disagree here. I think part of the concept and fun here is that you have to look over a table full of containers in no particular order, that for the most part you can't see into. All you have is name to go by. Makes it more challanging. I think the randomness of the whole setup is the best part of the swap.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I do like the 30 seconds to select a frag. Last April there was a backlog of people around the tank as they decided what frag they want.

grink

NJRC Member
I do like the 30 seconds to select a frag. Last April there was a backlog of people around the tank as they decided what frag they want.

Better yet, Number them, put numbers in a hat and you get what you draw out of the hat. Pot Luck!

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The only issue with that (or any part of randomness ) is that you might walk away with a bunch of stuff you already have. That would be an issue for me anyway. I think having a choice makes it interesting.

howze01

NJRC Member

Wasn't hard for me. By the time I got up there I ended up with a Mushroom and some Xenia. I can't complain though I did end up with a Ricordea too. It was loads of fun anyway and it was great to hear from TOny and Jullian. I thought Jullian was really good. Really looking forward to it this year. Going to have to frag up some nice zoos this year.

I must disagree here. I think part of the concept and fun here is that you have to look over a table full of containers in no particular order, that for the most part you can't see into. All you have is name to go by. Makes it more challanging. I think the randomness of the whole setup is the best part of the swap.

+1 if it is all mixed that gives everyone a chance of getting something good. And if you don't
like what you picked then you can trade it with someone else. I also like the idea of just
numbering the containers and you pull out the corresponding #. That would make it slot faster no loitering at the tank

+1 if it is all mixed that gives everyone a chance of getting something good. And if you don't
like what you picked then you can trade it with someone else. I also like the idea of just
numbering the containers and you pull out the corresponding #. That would make it a lot
faster no loitering at the tank.

I think this is a great idea too.We should give it a try and we could add a few twists of our own.I think the one we did last summer was great,some nice stuff and everyone seemed to have a gd time at the lodge

One thing i believe would improve this idea would be for however many frags you donate, you can pick in that many rounds. a maximum number of rounds would have to be set though because there may not be enough rounds to supply someone if they bring 10 frags. I believe a max of 5 would be good. the idea in itself is definitely a good one though.