• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

University Coral Farm Needs Your Support!!

Hi there!

The Stockton University Aquarium and Aquaculture Club is working on building and maintaining a coral frag aquaculture system or "coral farm" to produce aquacultured corals for the aquarium trade. It will be set up at our marine field station's aquaria lab. The goal is for our members to get hands on experience in coral propagation, husbandry and saltwater systems in general. The farm will also be used by students and faculty for research purposes as well as for class instruction and community educational and awareness events to help spread the message of reef conservation and the importance of aquaculture. However, in order for this project to become a reality we need your help! I have attached the link to our crowdfunding page. Please share it with anyone who might be interested in supporting this project. Thank you all for your help and support!

Crowdfunding Page: Help Us Build A Coral Farm!

Instagram: @stocktonaac

Webpage: https://stockton.campuslabs.com/engage/organization/saac

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Do you guys need volunteers? I'm not far from the campus, and can donate time and effort. I can also bring three 6ft, 180lb high school fellas if you need physical work. They are always looking for volunteer hours to put on their resume.

Dave

Do you guys need volunteers? I'm not far from the campus, and can donate time and effort. I can also bring three 6ft, 180lb high school fellas if you need physical work. They are always looking for volunteer hours to put on their resume.

Dave
Hi Dave!

As of right now we have SAAC Members who will be working on the farm. The purpose of this project is to allow our members to get hands on experience in coral husbandry and aquaculture as well as saltwater systems in general. As of right now I am not sure if we are allowed to accept volunteers outside of the Stockton community especially since this farm will be at a aquaria laboratory for which even our members have to go through safety training to be able to work in the lab. If we are able to in the future will defiantly announce it. Thank you for your interest!

Brought this beauty out of storage and gave it a nice rinse. ~120 gallon and will be holding our frags. Going to be working on the stand soon! Still have a ways to go.

upload_2019-3-6_20-48-9.jpeg

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
looks good man. I am already hearing a small buzz around Stockton about this coral farm so that is good. Remember I work on campus so if you guys need anything please let me know and I will see what I can do

Thank you to everyone who have been supporting our project so far! We just reached our half way mark and because of that we have extended the end date of our crowdfunding page till September 1st so that we can get to our goal. Thank you very much and keep spreading the word!!

Update! We have started working on our system. Myself and fellow SAAC members drilled a hole in the stand for the drain and put the tank on its new home. We then started working on the new redflex sump that was donated to us by pro-clear aquatics as well as the aquatic life t5/led hybrid with the aqua illumination hydra 26. Any advise on which t5 lights are good please let me know! The next thing is to finish plumbing, hooking up the lights as well as the Neptune systems apex. The only piece of filtration we still need is a protein skimmer.

Also if you would like to help support our project and would like more information about it please visit our crowdfunding page!

Attachments

• 707F0DAC-3102-41BC-9DBD-357A33AED4EE.jpeg
    707F0DAC-3102-41BC-9DBD-357A33AED4EE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
  • AED52080-E780-4BE9-8B5D-845872C4B6EC.jpeg
    AED52080-E780-4BE9-8B5D-845872C4B6EC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
  • FE6C23D6-CF7F-419B-B27F-491B766C4E83.jpeg
    FE6C23D6-CF7F-419B-B27F-491B766C4E83.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 62
  • D62DCA59-66ED-4149-8F46-AECF010A8DFD.jpeg
    D62DCA59-66ED-4149-8F46-AECF010A8DFD.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 60

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
The gold standard in bulbs has been ati for a while (even though there are some other good ones out there). How many bulbs does it have and what length bulbs do you need? Generally you are looking to mix in some different wave lengths to get certain colors to pop and also obviously provide some growth.

The gold standard in bulbs has been ati for a while (even though there are some other good ones out there). How many bulbs does it have and what length bulbs do you need? Generally you are looking to mix in some different wave lengths to get certain colors to pop and also obviously provide some growth.
This unit holds four T5’s and I believe it is the 48” model.

Hey guys! A long over due update on the project. After much trial and error and the pandemic hitting we finally have coral frags in our system. We are still looking into acquiring more specimens that are easy to maintain such as mushrooms, leathers and euphyllias. We are now working on setting up two smaller tanks. One will house mother colonies for us to continue fragging and the other will be as a specialty tank or quarantine/hospital tank. If you are interested in donating frags or colonies please let me know!

Attachments

• Group.JPG
    Group.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 38
We have plenty to donate. let us know the protocols and we will figure something out.
Happy to hear! As of right now we are working on a safety protocol for handling zoanthids and palythoas. Until then we cannot keep any from those groups. However, We are happy to accept any frags or colonies of easy to maintain corals such as mushrooms, euphyllias (hammers/frogspawn), leathers and photosynthetic gorgonians. We are happy to receive the corals outside the lab at Stockton's marine field station we would just have to set a time and date. We might be able to pick them up but it depends on location. Feel free to DM me to further discuss!