• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Watch Your Water!!!

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Saw this on Facebook today. Be careful with your water!

via Watchung Email Service: "New Jersey American Water will be temporarily changing its water treatment process at Raritan-Millstone and Canal Road water treatment plants from a chloramine (combined) residual to a free chlorine residual. This change will take place beginning February 1, 2012 through March. During this time period, customers may notice increase in the taste and smell of chlorine in the water. This is a normal and will only be temporary. As always, we will continue to monitor the water quality to ensure the service we deliver meets federal and state drinking water standards. Thank you for your patience."

Well, at least those who are seviced by those facilities will no longer have to use a chloramine specific filter in their RO/DI unit any longer.(After the change over)

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Monmouth and Ocean counties

New area affected......
"New Jersey American Water will be transitioning from chlorine to chloramine in Monmouth and Ocean Counties on May 28. A lot of people are not aware of the conversion, the notice that was mailed looked like junk mail. The notice was not sent to individual apartments nor was it done in Spanish. The notice contained two warnings: one for individuals on kidney dialysis and one for people who have fish tanks/ponds because chloramine is immediately toxic when it directly enters the bloodstream."

Does this mean that if we're in these areas, we shouldn't use this water with our RODI units? or we just need to use special filters?

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
I just visited air water ice where I purchased the Typhoon III extreme. They say this one has no problem handling Chloromines but some of the other units need additional filters.
I would check the web site from where you purchased yours.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Lost said it, your RO membrane will remove chloramines. If you are a Nervous Nelly, you can switch out your regular carbon blocks with “catalytic” carbon. This carbon will also remove chloramines.

ok so basically most good RO membranes will take care of any issues that may pop up from this change, but if you really want to be safe, probably best to get an carbon blocks designed specifically for chloramines?

I never thought of posting this, but the Monmouth county area is getting Chloramines added starting May 28th...

PWSID: Coastal North Water System Transitioning to Chloramines in 2012 Issue Date: 03-30-2012

Coastal North Water System Transitioning to Chloramines in 2012
As a result of the new more stringent drinking water standards, New Jersey American Water will be changing the way our drinking water is treated for our customers in the following areas beginning the week of May 28, 2012:
  • Coastal North System: serving customers in Monmouth and Ocean Counties, except for customers in Howell Township, Lakewood, Freehold Township and Farmingdale (Note: there are a handful of customers who will receive chloraminated water in Farmingdale and those customers have been notified directly). For more information, please review our customer notice that was mailed to customers at the end of March.
For more information, visit our NJ Chloramines Facts page.

Thank you for posting this. I had been told by the municipality that it would happen in September. I am going to give a call just to make sure but I know I didn't receive a notice. I read through everything they send because I knew that it would eventually change. Glad I got in to the group buy.

Anyone know the relation between Coast North Water Supplies and United Water?

From the looks of it, there two seperate companies but I wonder if one supplies water to the other.

I live in Ocean County but have United Water so Im not sure if this will affect me...

EDIT:

NVM, Both companies are independent of each other and owned by other larger companies. Now to just find out if United Water uses chloramines in Toms River...

Last edited:
Thanks Jim,

Finally found the CCR for Toms River and the residual in the water is Free Chlorine. Im not really sure what this means, Im assuming it means chlorine is used as compared to Chloramine.

What I did notice though is this:

Our average daily production is 11.9 MGD (Millions of Gallons Per Day). In addition, United Water Toms River has the ability to purchase water from New Jersey American Water (at Lakewood Township) and Manchester Township through the use of existing emergency interconnections.*

*United Water Toms River did not purchase water during the 2010 calendar year.

So it looks like they can buy water from them and use chloramines without me even noticing it, or atleast when its too late. As long as the membrance captures it I should be ok though.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Arnie, I work as a project manager for a general contractor and all we do is work on water/sewer treatment plants and pump stations, etc. I deal with many municipalities and almost all of the smaller communities have the ability to purchase water from some of the larger water companies. However, usually only do this in cases such as a drought or other major emergencies (like a maintenance project that requires taking their storage tanks offline temporarily.)

In either case, especially a drought, you would most likely have a good idea of when they would be supplying water from a different source.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Reminder for New Jersey American Water Company customers in Monmouth and Ocean Counties. Water treatment will be transitioning from chlorine to chloramine on Monday May 28. See their website for what to do if you have fish tanks or ponds or any other aquatic or semi-aquatic critters. Or if you are on kidney dialysis.
PULLED FROM FACEBOOK
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4096830627511&set=o.261650307187822&type=1&theater

More info at www.NJChloramineFacts.com