• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Went Star Fishing. :)

Talked the wife into helping me get a bunch of astrea starfish out of the tank:). Just seeing if anyone with a Harlequin Shrimp would want them before I just kill them. Let me know.
IMG-20120326-00979.jpg

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Asterina's are known to eat corralline algae. They also irritate some corals when grazing on the corralline. Other than that, they're pretty harmless.

They reproduce rapidly so if you want them gone, keep plucking them out and check daily for a week or two after you think you got the last one out.

Wont they just get sucked back into the tank? As far as problematic I'm not 100% as I've been having water issues lately so I can't really point the finger at them.

I have them in my sump, but not in the DT. But, I do keep the prefilters on my return pumps.

Asterina's are known to eat corralline algae. They also irritate some corals when grazing on the corralline. Other than that, they're pretty harmless.

They reproduce rapidly so if you want them gone, keep plucking them out and check daily for a week or two after you think you got the last one out.

Did not know that. Could be why I barely have any corraline growth. The reason I pulled them out was THEY WERE EVERYWHERE o_O and I was under the impression they could harm corals. This was just what we found on rocks w/out moving anything. I also have a huge one that I put in its own thing because the kid was upset I was taking all her starfish out. I'll post the pic of the MONSTER astrea in a little bit.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Not to get too technical, but these are actually "asterina" starfish, not astreas. Astreas are a type of snail, which is an entirely different creature.

Go Here and scroll down to about mid-page and you will see both critters in the middle of the page.

Might help to identify them correctly from here on out so people don't give you the wrong advice because they were thinking it was something different. ;)

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I have asterinas that chomp on zoas, it does not make me happy. I have done a lot of manual removal and adding the harlie in the 57g has really decimated their population in there. I can't put one in the 45g where the zoa eating ones are because we have an orange linkia in there that I do not want to become harlie food.

I have asterinas that chomp on zoas, it does not make me happy. I have done a lot of manual removal and adding the harlie in the 57g has really decimated their population in there. I can't put one in the 45g where the zoa eating ones are because we have an orange linkia in there that I do not want to become harlie food.
I thought I seen one it a small mushroom I had on a frag once(mushroom was there, seen starfish on it, Mushroom is gone) but not 100%. I've also thought about adding a harliquin shrimp, but I also have a red/orange linkia and do not want him to be killed.

Also got the pic of the Big Guy(largest one I've ever seen).:p

240.jpg

Not to get too technical, but these are actually "asterina" starfish, not astreas. Astreas are a type of snail, which is an entirely different creature.

Go Here and scroll down to about mid-page and you will see both critters in the middle of the page.

Might help to identify them correctly from here on out so people don't give you the wrong advice because they were thinking it was something different. ;)

Thanks for the link. :)

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

Mike, why don't you catch the Harlie and swap tanks with the linkia so the harlie can clean out the asterinas?

ThatGuy, you're welcome. I recommend reading that entire website as there are some common hitchhikers that everyone asks about eventually.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Thought about it, but catching a harlie that does not want to be caught can sometimes be quite difficult. He also looks great in the 57g and the star is doing very well in the 45g so I am cautious about changing them around.

Thought about it, but catching a harlie that does not want to be caught can sometimes be quite difficult. He also looks great in the 57g and the star is doing very well in the 45g so I am cautious about changing them around.

Translation: Nikki will kill me if I move the Harlie and the star and they die.

Last edited:

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Mnat,
Doesn't the Linkia eat the stars? I had tons of those stars and once I acquired a Blue Linkia the population has dwindled considerably.

Translation: Nikki will kill me if I move the Harlie and the star and they die.

Remember that seinfeld episode when elaine was talking to the guy at the gym, and he kept referring to himself in the 3rd person? I never knew Nikki was like that guy. :grin:

EDIT: The episode was called "The Jimmy"!!!

+1 Ive come home to find a couple of them on individual polyps of zoa's. Definatly did not make me happy either! Id like to get some harlys but at the same timeI want to keep my sand sifting star so that wont really work for me.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Mnat,
Doesn't the Linkia eat the stars? I had tons of those stars and once I acquired a Blue Linkia the population has dwindled considerably.

He does eat some asterinas, we have watched him do it. However the population is much higher than he can control so Manual remvoal is required. Harlies go through the stars much quicker as they are like potatoe chips to them.