• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What does everyone do for a living?

Salted

NJRC Member
My brother was a corrections officer in Jamesburg
It’s not an easy way to make a living. Not everyone can be locked in a room with actual murderers. I started in the early ‘90s. The gang explosion soon after really changed the dynamic.

It’s not an easy way to make a living. Not everyone can be locked in a room with actual murderers. I started in the early ‘90s. The gang explosion soon after really changed the dynamic.
Tough gig. Very high rate of problems at home

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Can't imagine what you had to deal with- glad you got out and survived

My week day job is boring, I’m do corporate inventory control for a retail company.

On weekends I’m a NASCAR official though.

I learned Fortran back in the prehistoric period when we used punch cards:

View attachment 49867

Each card contained a single line of program. You typed out this cards on a machine

View attachment 49866

We had a room filled with these card punching machines. You turned in your stack of cards just to find out one or two cards had typos and the program got kicked out....find the mistake, retype and submit again; repeat until you got it right.

Only mainframes available....actually hand held calculators didn't come out until a year or two later, and only did add, subtract, divide and multiply. And even after they came out, we weren't allowed to use them on chemistry tests....had to use a slide rule.....look it up, no batteries needed. :oops:

I started at the tail end of the punched card era. I don't miss them. Many years of PL/1 and COBOL programming, then built intranet .asp applications when asp was new. Eventually went on to lots and lots of SQL coding and DataStage and Informatica, mostly for corporate audit functions. Retired 2021.

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Worked at a lumber yard for 26 years until I could not walk! Man of every job there! plus I was outside all the time!

Insurance Agent here. Run my own agency. Providing all types of insurance...Auto, Home, Business, Life, Health, travel, etc.