• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Whats going on with my frogspawn

I know none of my stuff grows but my frogspawn always did good til now. i moved around a few of my corals, when i turned my fs around, one of the heads look like their receding...also my mushrooms arent big like they used to be. The more i read bout everything the more confused i seem to get. 20180306_202020.jpg

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
did you test your parameters? Very hard to tell from the photo because it's blue. Can you turn off the blue?

did you test your parameters? Very hard to tell from the photo because it's blue. Can you turn off the blue?
Tested everything...everything good except for the phosphates...i took out old carbon, put in my chemi pure, and new floss. My salt was a little low so when i vaccuumed and did water change, i added a little saltwater, ill check tomorrow and add more if needed. Heres a better pic20180310_214539.jpg 20180310_214537.jpg

Attachments

• 20180310_214706.jpg
    20180310_214706.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 17

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Ruth! You have hammer coral around its? It that what I see in one of your photos? With Hammer corals it is especially important to realize that when the lights are off this coral will extend its sweeper tentacles. These tentacles can reach up to six inches long. Their purpose is to sting any corals which might be encroaching on its territory. This is why you have to be careful with placement of this coral. This trait is what classifies the coral as aggressive and it can deliver a very nasty sting to other corals. The last time I purchased a frogspawn at AAC, the sales person showed my a hammer that was next to a frogspawn. Half of the frogspawn was distroyed by the hammer

Last edited:

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
@diana a both a hammer and a frogspawn are euphyllia and normally they don't bother each other when they are near. In fact I believe I saw someone tank where they had a big group of hammer and frogspawn mix together

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
@njtiger24 aquariums I was told and showed a hammer and frogspawn at ACC by their staff. The hammer destroyed half of the frogspawn. They told me that just because it is a euphyllia does not mean they can be close to each other. I knew that you couldn't put a torch near other euphyllias but didn't think it would also include hammers to frogspawns. Unless the employee at ACC was incorrect.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I have heard hammer and torches don't mix well but I have heard and believe seen (I can't truly recall) hammer and frogspawn are ok next to each other. But also there always the outliers

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I would check the following things.
  • Pest (maybe take it out and dip the coral to see if maybe you have a pest)
  • Light (maybe you light need new bulbs or cleaning)
  • Water too clean (I believe they like water more on the dirty side)
  • Coral warfare (as @diana a suggested you could have two corals fighting)

Good Morning NJRC!

Tested everything...everything good except for the phosphates...i took out old carbon, put in my chemi pure, and new floss. My salt was a little low so when i vaccuumed and did water change, i added a little saltwater, ill check tomorrow and add more if needed. Heres a better picView attachment 18789 View attachment 18790

What are you calling bad phosphate levels? Just curious. Everyone runs their reef a little different with success. We personally don't test phosphate much unless we see something that looks off (I'll test today for posterity). Do you usually run chemipure? I'm guessing this is your phosphate control method? IME euphyllia like nutrients (all our coral does) and if they change quickly, or large waterchanges are done sometimes they retract for a while until they readjust. When you say receeding do you mean skeleton is exposed or they are just not extended?

Edit: Is the flow drastically different where it is now vs. before?

@diana a both a hammer and a frogspawn are euphyllia and normally they don't bother each other when they are near. In fact I believe I saw someone tank where they had a big group of hammer and frogspawn mix together

You are correct. Torches don't play nice with others. Hammers, frogspawns, and octospawns can all live harmoniously together.