• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

whats the paintman been up to???????????

No turning back now :eek:
DSC02015.jpg

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
paintman27 said:
The_Codfather said:
Really nice love the brick work..!brick veneer? Eggshell or satin on the walls? I see a bit of a sheen had to ask being a painter myself :)
The brick is reclaimed brick from old factories in chicago that have been knocked down. The brick is then sliced thin, it is brick veneer, but I guess you would call it real vintage brick. The paint is Benjamin Moore's new Aura paint and since the basement will get alot of abuse i went with an eggshell finish.
I am trying to find some reclaimed barn wood for the trim around the tank. I think saltwater tanks have a modern feel to them so I have to try and find a way to rustic it up a bit around the tank.
If you can't find the old barn wood just get new and bash it up a bit.. hit it with chains.. split some of the grain use a round edged spokeshave or wood plain to give it old chipped oak beam look hit it with a heat gun in a few spots.. you know what you can do with stain :) I had to do that to a few new doors in my home to mach the other 100+ year old ones.. not many can tell what ones they are

The_Codfather said:
paintman27 said:
The_Codfather said:
Really nice love the brick work..!brick veneer? Eggshell or satin on the walls? I see a bit of a sheen had to ask being a painter myself :)
The brick is reclaimed brick from old factories in chicago that have been knocked down. The brick is then sliced thin, it is brick veneer, but I guess you would call it real vintage brick. The paint is Benjamin Moore's new Aura paint and since the basement will get alot of abuse i went with an eggshell finish.
I am trying to find some reclaimed barn wood for the trim around the tank. I think saltwater tanks have a modern feel to them so I have to try and find a way to rustic it up a bit around the tank.
If you can't find the old barn wood just get new and bash it up a bit.. hit it with chains.. split some of the grain use a round edged spokeshave or wood plain to give it old chipped oak beam look hit it with a heat gun in a few spots.. you know what you can do with stain :) I had to do that to a few new doors in my home to mach the other 100+ year old ones.. not many can tell what ones they are
Hey thanks codfather but I beat you to your idea....When I built my bar I wanted to surround the whiskey barrels with something that made them look like they were being stored in a rack. So I bought some eight 1/4 stock and spent about 2 hours tossing it down my paved driveway, beating it with chains, shovels, pick axes, and whatever I had laying around the house. I then used some amber shellac, and various colors of stain to give it that distressed look. I think it worked out really well on the bar ,but its not the same as time and mother nature
IMG_1716.jpg

IMG_1710.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

Instead of an old barn beam under the granite I was thinking about using an old ships wheel I bounght from a salvage yard. maybe put the wheel in the middle and then 2 old corbels on each side. Anybody got some other ideas????
IMG_2428.jpg

IMG_2429.jpg

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think that looks cool, Stan. I like the tie in of the ship's wheel with the sea theme. And while you did well distressing the wood in the last post I think it loses the "old" feel with the shiney new coating. I think it would have needed an older more rustic finish to have the feel you were thinking of when you designed it. That said I do like the way it turned out, even if you had something else originally in mind!

Soooo as I was saying in one of my earlier posts, when I was doing the work in the basement I framed out my wall and built the stand. Then I just sheetrocked over the opening until I was ready for the tank. Fast forward one year and this is what you end up with after 5 minutes with a utility knife! ;D
IMG_2430.jpg

Well I guess I should put learn how to take picture on my things to do list! Yes my stand is nice and level even though my pics tell us otherwise :eek:
So anyway heres a couple other pics. first one is of the stand from inside the sump room its kind of hard to see but I Durarocked under the stand. the plan is to install tile before putting the sump into place. The stand is about 10ft. long and does not have any support post in the middle.I did not want any support legs getting in the way of accessing the sump. To do this I used 3 2x10's and piece of 1/2" x 10ft. long plate steel sandwiched in between. This is all bolted togheter using 3/4" bolts. Thats what is behind the white trim board you see in the pic.
IMG_2430.jpg

Orginaly the plan was to put a large piece of granite under the tank and have it extend out from the wall to act as a ledge for my beer. But after talking to the guys at CTC and not wanting to spend $900 I have decided to go another direction. For now I have line the top of the stand with 1/2" thick cork. This has worked out well under all my other tanks and holds up to any moisture.
IMG_2432.jpg

Hey NJRC mods.....I was just wondering, how long before you throw me in the penalty box? I mean move me over to "Tale of the Tank"

It looks great Stan, but please paint those grilles to match the wall.

If things don't work out with the tank you could always park your van on it to do oil changes. LOL

Let me know if you need a hand getting the tank on the stand.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
wood grills!

The perfect basement. To say I'm jealous would be an understatement. Great work Stan.

Well the big day has arrived. We made it home safely yesterday with the tank in one piece, but let it sit in the truck until more muscle was available.
Snug as a bug in a rug!
IMG_2436.jpg