• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

120 gallon upgrade

Dragons breath grows but slow. For some reason it is being taken over by GHA. I have a smaller tank attached in the back of this which is growing Chaeto and caulerpa. That’s doing great.

Dragons breath grows but slow. For some reason it is being taken over by GHA. I have a smaller tank attached in the back of this which is growing Chaeto and caulerpa. That’s doing great.
I have the neptune gro as well and i have it about 1 inch from the water. It's low powered so it needs to be real close to the water to work as designed. She can get splashed with water with no issues. I would suggest if possible to try moving the gro down closer to the water level and see if that helps.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I'm considering running 2 smaller return pumps rather than 1 large pump. I'm thinking I can run 1 dedicated through my uv sterilizer that I can adjust flow depending on my needs for the uv. Then the 2nd pump I'll run a manifold off of for if I decide to add any other equipment. Also considering a neptune flow sensor on each return to manage the proper flow for my needs.

This is the setup we have, one return pump for the display and one for the manifold, works pretty well and is adjustable.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
For me that worked. Live sand to expensive for a large setup IMO. I would assume live sand would be clean.

Get your live sand from amazon it’s the same price as regular sand. This is what I always order.

It’s $29 for 40lb of live sand and it comes with bacteria.
The bag is sealed with water so the sand stays alive.

Carib Sea ACS00940 Ocean Direct Natural Live Sand for Aquarium, 40-Pound B000YJMYPG https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YJMYP...abc_E4W1T2J8BZGGWX748P8C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• 882E3393-556C-4065-92D5-A9CFD6857989.png
    882E3393-556C-4065-92D5-A9CFD6857989.png
    5 MB · Views: 4
My filter cups came in and they look great in blue but when I installed them in the trigger sump I noticed the sock plate has oval cutouts instead of round cutouts so the cups have a bunch if space on each side and debris will definitely float passed the filter cups easily. Why in the world would trigger Systems use oval cutouts for round socks? Seems really dumb to me especially considering the socks it comes with are also round and don't fit into the oval cutouts. Anyway I may need to fab up a piece of acrylic with (3) 4 inch cutouts to make this sump work. It's a shame it has to be modified being it's so expensive but if I want to avoid the socks then I gotta do it. I also ordered the aqueon megaflow kit with the adjustable height plumbing. I'll replace the bulkheads that it comes with as I want to run hard plumbing and they only come with barbed bulkheads for some odd reason. I've got one kit In already and the other will be here Tuesday. I test fit the kit and I'm happy with how it will fit in the single overflow. I'm still deciding on the return pump/pumps and how I will plumb the system. I'd like to have the setup before the year end but I'm not sure I will gather all I need before then. 20211106_115243.jpg

Is it so the socks can slide and be taken out easier? All I can think of.
Not sure what the design idea was for it but the filter socks that came with the sump don't even fit into the oval cut outs properly. The socks have to be squeezed into the cutouts or they don't sit flush in the holes. I'll have to get pictures when I get a chance to show the issue.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Not sure what the design idea was for it but the filter socks that came with the sump don't even fit into the oval cut outs properly. The socks have to be squeezed into the cutouts or they don't sit flush in the holes. I'll have to get pictures when I get a chance to show the issue.
defective? That just sound like a bad drunk cut in acrylic

I've decided when I do the tank transfer that my pearly jawfish will not be making the cut to the new tank. The 120 will have alot less sand and won't be enough for a jawfish. If somebody would be interested in taking him let me know. I'd like to have a new home in place for him before the transfer. If I have to keep him in the 120 it's going to be a nightmare trying to get him out once he's in there. I'm not going to be able to get him out likely until the transfer as he lives in a cave in the sand and it's impossible to get him out without breaking down the tank. So if somebody wants him we will have to plan for you to pick him up the day I'm doing the transfer.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Okay reading about them says deep sand bed but mine only 1 inch at mist probably less. Plus I just saw my diamond Tony will they get along?