• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Frag Grow out Summer 2018 DISCUSSION

Haha I just bought a zoo garden from Mark too...
I also have a piece of Red Robin in my tank but will buy a new piece..... Will do both [emoji4]

I will visit Mark, how does spread sheet get updated? Just report back here??

49a5fefb4434101f88a5ff4875e1d166.jpg
2303c9f780d37b73483718cb1d34278b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Haha I just bought a zoo garden from Mark too...
I also have a piece of Red Robin in my tank but will buy a new piece..... Will do both [emoji4]

I will visit Mark, how does spread sheet get updated? Just report back here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, just let me know that you have paid and I will confirm with mark. I put you down for both in the spreadsheet.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Guys. Let’s calm down.

I have removed the post and please proceed with the challenge.
But please be advised we do need to stop having members request thinks from vendors. So that is. Change coming for another post.
I’m going to clean up this thread to remove any comments from the prior post

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Ok, I just want to clarify what I was thinking. I completely understand the stance with advertisers. In this case we decided to do this as members, and reached out to Mark. I won’t be part of any organization that tells me what I’m supposed to be doing, where to spend my money, or what I can or cannot talk about.

Dave

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Ok, I just want to clarify what I was thinking. I completely understand the stance with advertisers. In this case we decided to do this as members, and reached out to Mark. I won’t be part of any organization that tells me what I’m supposed to be doing, where to spend my money, or what I can or cannot talk about.

Dave

This is an excerpt from member group buy FAQ.

I can tell you that it was not authorized by any prior or Current BOD member.
Furthermore. It supposed to be led and participated by paid NJRC members.

We do not want to tell you want to do and how to spend your money. But we cannot let personal actions endanger the clubs 501-c status that will doom the club and but the board at personal risk to the federal and state governments.

Therefore it is required by our bylaws. For the board to interject.

Permission – Prior to starting a new thread the poster shall request written permission for the organized order by emailing Officers@NJReefers.org to ensure that the order does not conflict with NJRC’s plans, published or otherwise. The new thread shall not be posted until a positive response is received from the above email (typical response time is 2-3 weeks).

Someone agreed that the winner would get a banner by their username-nobody from the BOD was involved in that?

This is a sticky area. On one hand the contest will be great for the club, not only the participants, and hopefully spur more group activities that will ultimately strengthen what the club brings to its members. On the other hand, club activities supporting sponsors make sense-we as members (or prospective members) want discounts from sponsors, sponsors expect opportunity for their support as well.

Sounds like a great idea hit the ground rolling, without these considerations coming into play until too late. So the final verdict is....the challenge goes on? But not an officially sanctioned club activity?

DangerDave

NJRC Member
So if we do the grow out contest and talk about it on the forum we’re endangering the club’s status? I’m don’t mean to be argumentative, but I don’t understand.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Ultimate Corals has renewed sponsorship.
All is good. We can grow and chat away.

Learning curve for us too. In the future we’d like to have group buy info sent to the BOD first to ensure the vendor is a club sponsor. We’ll have a single member rep for the buy, list payment methods and info in an official forum, offer plenty of time before orders, and open official chat threads.

Last edited:

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Dave. I want to move this conversation out of this thread and into another one if that is okay with. you I don’t want to derail this any further.

If anyone from the BOD or members is proven to be making a profit or taking advantage of the non profit status for personal gain it would endanger the status.

In the case of this growout it may not be an issue. But if someone was to request free donation or sever discounts on behalf of njrc without our knowledge it would a danger.

I hope you understand why these have to go through the board. This is not dictatorship but it’s not the Wild West either. There are rules thAt must be followed. That is why we have a BOD and bylaws.

This thread violated at least 3 rules. But will continue. But going forward we can’t let these things go and will nip in the bud early.

Last edited:

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
What's with everyone bailing out

the sudden issue with the challenge being halted without prior notice probably left a bad taste to some even if it was retracted. I would of probably backed out too if I didn't already pay.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Guys. How would you like a fluid situation handled?

We are trying to find value for the club.

We discovered a situation that violated a few bylaws and found a satisfactory solution and rectified an issue in rapid time. And yet and still there is still dropouts and fallout from a 5 min anomaly.

It just doesn’t make sense. Please provide feedback on how you guys would like these issues handled.

Again please keep in mind. We have to toe the line on a lot of issues. Loss of this challenges can and will probably cost us a heck of a vendor. At a point of time when we are trying to get and keep a lot of them

Support the club and join this great challenge.

I did !!!!

Sorry, dropping out because I am traveling for a little bit and leaving the tank care of the tanks to the SO. Fingers crossed everything makes it at this point, so definitely not in the position to compete. Plus, its quite a hike to pick up the frag. Thanks for rectifying the situation in a timely manner though!

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
Guys. How would you like a fluid situation handled?

We are trying to find value for the club.

We discovered a situation that violated a few bylaws and found a satisfactory solution and rectified an issue in rapid time. And yet and still there is still dropouts and fallout from a 5 min anomaly.

It just doesn’t make sense. Please provide feedback on how you guys would like these issues handled.

Again please keep in mind. We have to toe the line on a lot of issues. Loss of this challenges can and will probably cost us a heck of a vendor. At a point of time when we are trying to get and keep a lot of them

Support the club and join this great challenge.

I did !!!!

Think about how it transpired and the perception of it. You came on and said it was halted and the main reason, to me at least, was UC wasn't reupping their sponsorship. People were not happy. A little while later, Mark C replies and says all is good UC renewed it's sponsorship. It gives the appearance that the reason it was halted was over sponsorship. And we're told "at least 3 rules" were broken. What was rules were violated? You were part of the grow out initially, had an emergency BOD meeting (which I'm surprised members weren't notified that there was a meeting - as a paid member I would expect to have an option to be present) and then halted it. People preach about transparancy. There was zero transparancy in what happened. You came on the growout thread (which was going on for over a week and not one BOD member had any issue with it) and announce it's on hold with very little information. How did you expect people to react? You would have received a much different reaction if you came on and said it needs to be put on hold because it violates bylaw 1,2 and 3. We're looking to see if we can get around these this time but in the future the following has to occur in order for these type of challenges to occur. Again, perception to me was it was all about sponsorship.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
As promised.... transparency, upfront and open constructive dialogue.........

I acted a little impulsively on this issue and I sincerely apologize.... I feel I did the right thing.. but went about it the wrong it.....

1. I didn't really consult the current BOD thoroughly on this issue before posting. That is why the back and forth happened. That is on me and me alone and I apologize to the club and @UltimateCorals for the confusion and thank @Mark_C, @trio91 and the BOD for helping me fix the problem quickly

And we're told "at least 3 rules" were broken. What was rules were violated?

BYLAWS violated..... found here http://www.njreefers.org/forums/member-organized-orders.224/ . Posted by @redfishbluefish in 2009

1. Contact of an NJRC vendor
Permission
– Prior to starting a new thread the poster shall request written permission for the organized order by emailing Officers@NJReefers.org to ensure that the order does not conflict with NJRC’s plans, published or otherwise. The new thread shall not be posted until a positive response is received from the above email (typical response time is 2-3 weeks)
- even by mentioning "NJRC" challenge, We all know the vendor will (or least try to) bend off backwards and even deeply discount the items. This would put us at a disadvantage when we are trying to plan for other events..... Further support is listed under this bylaw

Utilization of Club Name – Using the club name or acting as a representative of the club shall not be permitted. This is a function that is only permissible by club officers and their designees. This means that you should not approach a vendor with "A few of the members from the NJ Reefers Club..." or any such language.

Think about how it transpired and the perception of it. You came on and said it was halted and the main reason, to me at least, was UC wasn't reupping their sponsorship. People were not happy. & Again, perception to me was it was all about sponsorship
]

Taking a step back... I do not pass the test on this... I apologize to the club...

@jmags080307 You guys are free to talk to and buy from any vendor.... but I would like to put up for a vote soon how many people would like us to support our vendors and source all activities to our paid sponsors. When I say "our" I mean multiple members not indviduals.

Full disclosure... we are getting our teeth kicked in trying to re-up a lot of vendors because they do not see the value provided by the club due to drop enrollment and traffic. We need the club's help on this.... Money talks!!!!!

You are still correct... I was too impulsive and should laid everything out correctly

@jmags080307, I didnt join the grow out till this weekend as a show of support an a mea culpa..... there wasnt an emergency meeting until Saturday when I realized my folly... and that was to fix the situation.....

There was zero transparancy in what happened. You came on the growout thread (which was going on for over a week and not one BOD member had any issue with it) and announce it's on hold with very little information. How did you expect people to react? You would have received a much different reaction if you came on and said it needs to be put on hold because it violates bylaw 1,2 and 3. We're looking to see if we can get around these this time but in the future the following has to occur in order for these type of challenges to occur. Again, perception to me was it was all about sponsorship.

This is duly noted and I will respond on these type of issues similar to the way I responded on this. Thank you for the assist. We are all members here and I appreciate you @jmags080307 for posting constructive crictism that will help me grow and make things better

Now.... I hope I've done the best that I can to salvage this situation and move on . There is an upcoming challenge that I would love for everyone to get in on and support despite my mistake... So unless you want blood..... LETS GET IT ON GUYS!!!!!!!!!