• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Innovative Marine 30 AIO Long

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Some bad news...

Flame angel has passed away. Yesterday flame was acting a little off. Thought nothing of it considering everything was great the day before. Got home from work last night and the poor little guy was completely gone & already torn apart..... Graphic image below :(

Rest in piece buddy.
img_20190627_044739-jpg.1114351

I did however, get two cardinals!
img_20190627_151220-jpg.1114352

Full tank
img_20190627_175721-jpg.1114353

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Just finished a thorough water change. Scrubbed all the algae with a toothbrush and basted for a while. The water column was filthy! After my water change I used filter floss to manually clean it. Everything looks super clean now! Corals are slowly opening. I see some algae that I missed and or grow back.

To help increase nitrates, I have put my protein skimmer on a 4 hour cylce (4 on 4 off) we will see what happens..

My one cardinal is scaring me a little. Eats like a goddam machine but after water change hides in the corner and every once in a while I find him just hiding above my power head and or under my glass cleaner. I hope he doesn't have an illness :( no signs of ich or any body issues. Poop looks okay.

I need to get another fish! Any thoughts? I want to get another flame but I am nervous. The next fish is a "prize" fish. The oooh ahh fish of the tank.

deepblue68

POTM Winner
how about some type of fairy wrasse or yellow coris wrasse. I always liked coral beauty.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
sorry about the loss how long did you have the flame angel?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I had the flame angel for about 4 weeks. Completely out of no where :(

Do you think I could get away with either of those wrasse in a 30? I'd also love a coral beauty but don't they require more water as well?

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
So the wise words of QT are becoming quite real. I'm going to have to set up a tank and or use my frag tank for observations..

I lost one of my Cardinals :( also one cerith snail I wasn't around to flip back over.

I did however fully convert my DT over to Apex junior. My lights are now ran from Neptune as well as my heater and skimmer!! I'll post pictures tomorrow as I was very tired after wire management.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
So the wise words of QT are becoming quite real. I'm going to have to set up a tank and or use my frag tank for observations..

I lost one of my Cardinals :( also one cerith snail I wasn't around to flip back over.

I did however fully convert my DT over to Apex junior. My lights are now ran from Neptune as well as my heater and skimmer!! I'll post pictures tomorrow as I was very tired after wire management.
What LFS ru getting your fish from?

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Got my flame and yellow watchmen from saltwaterfish.com

And the one card from Petco. Both my clowns are from Petco.
That could be part of the reason, try to buy from someone that already puts their fish through a qt. process. If going online I'd go with liveaquaria. If local, you can try: Salgado Aquatics, Reefco, Aquatic Obsessions, or Absolutely Fish. I believe SeaLevel also qt's thier livestock

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I say that as when it comes to fish, I'm super paranoid on where I buy them from.

At an LFS you can ask: how long has it been in the shop? What does it eat?/Can you feed em? What compatible etc.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I say that as when it comes to fish, I'm super paranoid on where I buy them from.

At an LFS you can ask: how long has it been in the shop? What does it eat?/Can you feed em? What compatible etc.
I think I'm in store to go to absolutely fish!

But I heard live aquaria is falling off? Is this true ??

I also just need to take my old feeding tank for my lizard and making a QT

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Update !!

So my second cardinal from Petco died ! :(

My parameters are all still fine minus nitrate being zero at the time.

I decided it was time to purchase fish from the real deal! Absolutely fish. I was stunned with the store - absolutely georgeous and loaded with fish and coral. Will be my go to LFS for sure. Prices are high but hey hopefully its what you're getting.

I bought a diamond back goby (stirring tank a little more then I wanted - please settle down!!) And two replacement cards

To deal with nitrates at zero I now only run my skimmer for 6 hours a day and remocedy purigen as of yesterday and the day before.. as of today my tank is close to looking it's best!!

I'm stocked as it's only going to get better from here.

Lot of fine tuning going on with my lights.

Pictures to come !

Btw I have an apex lite with eb8 and display laying around if anyone wants to buy. Got it off a lot of assorted Apex items for my tanks

Update !!

So my second cardinal from Petco died ! :(

My parameters are all still fine minus nitrate being zero at the time.

I decided it was time to purchase fish from the real deal! Absolutely fish. I was stunned with the store - absolutely georgeous and loaded with fish and coral. Will be my go to LFS for sure. Prices are high but hey hopefully its what you're getting.

I bought a diamond back goby (stirring tank a little more then I wanted - please settle down!!) And two replacement cards

To deal with nitrates at zero I now only run my skimmer for 6 hours a day and remocedy purigen as of yesterday and the day before.. as of today my tank is close to looking it's best!!

I'm stocked as it's only going to get better from here.

Lot of fine tuning going on with my lights.

Pictures to come !

Btw I have an apex lite with eb8 and display laying around if anyone wants to buy. Got it off a lot of assorted Apex items for my tanks
Awesome update. Sounds great

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
A little update!

Replaced both the cardinals & goby. All three are very healthy! Well my goby managed to jump into the back chamber somehow.. probably while the lid was off and I was in the bathroom cleaning something.

Corals are all opening up! Here are some pictures... need to figure out how to take better ones.

img_20190728_160416-jpg.1144908

img_20190728_160408-jpg.1144910

img_20190728_160402-jpg.1144911