• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jose7878 new 150 gal

Just calibrated my ph probes on my calcium reactor controller and my ph monitor man were they off.
I guess that something I will have to do monthly to make sure their reading accurate.
Looks like either my nassarius snails or asteara snail layed some eggs on the glass.

What would the posibibly of those egg actually surviving?

Just calibrated my ph probes on my calcium reactor controller and my ph monitor man were they off.
I guess that something I will have to do monthly to make sure their reading accurate.
Looks like either my nassarius snails or asteara snail layed some eggs on the glass.

What would the posibibly of those egg actually surviving?

pretty good atually. my nass laid eggs about 5 weeks ago. i noticed little baby versions all over my tank. same with my stomatella snails.

Woke up this morning did my morning routine. Went to check my tank which is in the basement. As I'm walking down the steps I notice my carpet is saturated in water.(I'm like what the...) I go directly to the tank everything is fine. So now I go to equipment side thinking I left my ro/di system running. (I'm getting older so sometime I forget that I left it running , and only lose a few gallons on the ground). So I didn't leave it on.
Apparently the hose that goes into the post filter busted and 240 gallons on the floor.

Wife was pissed. I told her to look on the bright side. She was like what bright side. My remark was ( look how clean this side of the carpet is now). Her remark back was I'm stupid and giggled. I guess I get to keep my tank still. Yay

so the post filter is your DI? did this 240 gallons run through your RO section of the setup? How long do these filters last lol. Sucks but hey at least it's in the basement & you get to keep your tank haha.

so the post filter is your DI? did this 240 gallons run through your RO section of the setup? How long do these filters last lol. Sucks but hey at least it's in the basement & you get to keep your tank haha.

No post filter is th first stage of the ro system. The line that bursted was the feed line to the ro system. That filter lasts me aleast 6 month before I have to change it.

Well tackled my ro/di leak. I thought it was hose that bursted apparently my first canister cracked just under the o-ring.

Made a trip to the hidden reef and bought a new canister and replaced it. The new canister is Definetly a better quality. Hope I don't have this issue again. Lol

Here's a update pic of the tank

DSCN3682.jpg

Just had a huge set back. For some reason lost just about all my corals. Don't know why. Tested all my parameters and all are range. The only different thing that I've done was I changed salt due to that they didn't have the salt that I used. I always use Red Sea Salt Pro this time I bought Seachem reef salt.
Do you guys think the salt could've effected my corals?

First off.. Mix up a batch of saltwater using the new salt and run a gamut of tests on it. I have a feeling its probably ReefCrystals. This is the 4th or 5th report I have seen from a latest batch of reefcrystals causing massive coral die-off.

kevin

NJRC Member
First off.. Mix up a batch of saltwater using the new salt and run a gamut of tests on it. I have a feeling its probably ReefCrystals. This is the 4th or 5th report I have seen from a latest batch of reefcrystals causing massive coral die-off.

yeah, i've been reading about that. I just started a new batch the other day.. i bought it about 2 months ago.

It was Seachem reef salt not Reefcyrstals

K well i would contact SeaChem explain the situation link to this thread and prepare a sample of the salt to send into their labs for testing. At most you might get a free bucket of salt out of it thats been tested and found to be in good working order.

Secondly if you have a controller that has historical graphis investigate them and try to determine if a temperature swing or something biological caused the massive RTN. my Go to list is.

Check the pump I mixed the water with for Rusted components
Check my tank for stray electricity
Check my Sump area to see if a cable, or a screw or a penny or a rock or SOMETHING foreign got into my system
Check my tank and inhabitants (especially anemones,nudibranchs,LARGE fish, might have died or got chopped up)
Check my PH level historic and current.
Check all the Ates,Ites,Calc,Alk,Mag components to see if any are out of wack.
(I have known a miscalculation or mis programming or stuck dosing pump dumping large amounts of ALK into a system causing a massive die off)
Look in the weird places like your overflows as well.
Check your sand bed. If you sand bed is really really thick it is quite possible that UNDER your rock work was trapped large amounts of decaying matter over time. Usually due to lack of waterflow. During the water change process you might have Blown off some rocks moved something around stirred up your sand bed and released this pocket of toxic crap which could Rapidly cause a ammonia/phos spike that might have killed your corals and been handled by the biological filter in your system before you realize the damage was done.

I weekly Stir my sand bed with a petco multipurpose aquarium tool that has a RAKE/GRAVEL attachment. I get IN there and turn up that sand really good.
Check and see if your SKIMMER while you did your water change you might have done a skimmer cleaning. MAke sure you didn't wash it in the sink and get some soap or something on it which leeched into your tank.

Check your HEATER to see if it cracked or BROKE releasing toxic chemicals into your tank.

thats all i can think of ... sorry to hear about your tank. I've been through my share of losses but in the end I love this hobby and while it hurts nothing other than my wife and kids bring me more joy than my tank. When you have identified your problem i got a few frags for you and a beer to boot.