• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jose7878 new 150 gal

made up statistics

my made up statistics show that

20% of Tank Crashes come from component failure
50% of Tank crashes come from user error
30% of Tank crashes come from biological issue.

I find Heaters crack and leech after being in salt water for too long unused...
Old sand will crash a tank if its not replaced or stirred a good amount
User error is part of the hobby but when something is routine you expect it to go the way you want.

I betcha didnt check the salinity of the tank before you did the water change.. In this hot weather you might have evaporated alot.. a lot of salt spray.. your skimmer was pulling out a lot of waste.... might have dropped your salinity down a little lower than normal.. then BAM salinity back up directly over the corals taht were just living at 1.019 or something back to 1.025/6... SHOCK... DEATH. meh.. possible your water change water's PH was too low or high caused a massive PH swing..

my made up statistics show that

20% of Tank Crashes come from component failure
50% of Tank crashes come from user error
30% of Tank crashes come from biological issue.

I find Heaters crack and leech after being in salt water for too long unused...
Old sand will crash a tank if its not replaced or stirred a good amount
User error is part of the hobby but when something is routine you expect it to go the way you want.

I betcha didnt check the salinity of the tank before you did the water change.. In this hot weather you might have evaporated alot.. a lot of salt spray.. your skimmer was pulling out a lot of waste.... might have dropped your salinity down a little lower than normal.. then BAM salinity back up directly over the corals taht were just living at 1.019 or something back to 1.025/6... SHOCK... DEATH. meh.. possible your water change water's PH was too low or high caused a massive PH swing..
My water level is always at its correct level before a water change.
New salt water mix is mixed 24 hr in advance with a heater to match the DP tank.
Salinity is always matched to the DP tank before the water change is done.
My heated were just replace about 3-4 months ago when I had my stock tank crash from a heater.
I've been doing this for about 8- 10 yrs so I'm not new to all this.
I take pride in my tank with so much $ invested I watch what I do. I don't add anything that I can't test.

Asonitez I apologize if I sound stand-offish it just for something like this to happen pisses me off
This hobby is already very tedious and for companies not being consistent on their products irks me. And losing over $700 in corals pisses me off.

I will get a batch of the salt to send sachem like u suggested. And thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Hey no Prob man you sounded upset i didn't want you to think i was discounting your skills with the tank or a bowstaff or anything. Just brainstorming possible situations.... don't phase me bro.

dont_phase.jpg

Wow ..Its been awhile since I updated this thread.... Well everything has been going great so far..All the corals that the members donated to me when my tank crashed are all doing great ..Thank you Herb , John , George ,Nikki and anyone else that I forgot.
photo-96.jpg

photo-97.jpg

So I took advantage of the Petco $1 gal sale ..I went and bought myself a 40 breeder. Which is gonna be a frag tank .I started the process already here re some pics.

Driiled the tank for the overflow box
photo-99.jpg

The overflow box I built with some scrap plexi-glass had laying around
photo-98.jpg

Heres the tank with overflow installed
photo-95.jpg

Picked up another Yellow Tang from a member from a different forum. He's was picking on his other tang. The one I already have is defintely bigger then him so i hope their wont be a issue..
photo-102.png

and also grab this Filefish as well from someone else today....
photo-101.png

Well I placed my order @ Live Aquaria yesterday. I will receive my shipment tomorrow here's the listof what I ordered
1-Yellow Wrasse
2-Bartlett's Anthias
1-Naso Tang
2-Maldives Lyretail Anthias
1-Juvenile Emperor Angelfish ( I know , I know )

Pics will follow as soon as their acclimated.

Next purchase will be a small or med Regal Angelfish

He's doing okay. Still swims upside down but not all the time it only like at night time. When he does it.
I just added him to the DT tank he's having some bullying issues cause of my other yellow tang.
But it subsided a little. Their a little less aggression now.

very nice stand and top,awsome idea with sump,i want to cut mine down to im makeing a 120gal sump but its to tall,what kind of cutting disc did you use was it hard to do and any tips also it cant be tempered right ? thanks for any help you can give me 18fisher

Well I placed my order @ Live Aquaria yesterday. I will receive my shipment tomorrow here's the listof what I ordered
1-Yellow Wrasse
2-Bartlett's Anthias
1-Naso Tang
2-Maldives Lyretail Anthias
1-Juvenile Emperor Angelfish ( I know , I know )

Pics will follow as soon as their acclimated.

Next purchase will be a small or med Regal Angelfish

Good luck with your new additions....7 fish at one time is a lot to add. How big of a qt do you have?

very nice stand and top,awsome idea with sump,i want to cut mine down to im makeing a 120gal sump but its to tall,what kind of cutting disc did you use was it hard to do and any tips also it cant be tempered right ? thanks for any help you can give me 18fisher

Thanx fisher.

For cutting the tank you have to make sure the tank isn't tempered. Now for the blade I used a glass cutting blade and lots of water on the blade. The trick is keep the blade wet @ all times and let the blade do the work. You can't put pressure on the glass with the blade. If you put pressure the tank will crack.

Once you cut 2 sides you will need a second person to hold the the cut glass to relieve the pressure as it starts to sag. Then continue to cut the other 2 sides.

Leave the top trim on until you cut the tank down to size. It makes its easier to break smaller pcs of glass then trying to pry it off the tank itself. Which also alloys you to reuse it.

Hope that helps. Good luck.