• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Kschweer Red Sea 300XL

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Looking really nice and neat Kev.
Have you decided if going SPS or mixed corals?
Thanks man, that’s the goal. Red Sea is making it pretty easy I must admit. Probably just zoas, mushrooms and fish for a while. With a near 3 year old and a second on the way not sure I’ll have the time for sps.

Thanks man! Now to find some live rock!
The build looks great so far! I am going to second kp aquatics for live rock. I recently received an order and it was teaming with life. I definitely suggest a high salinity dip to get the unwanted critters out but as for the rock it's very light and porous with many holes and pass-throughs in each piece. I had a biocube years ago with kp aquatics live rock as well and it was a very stable tank with no pests. I also had another biocube around the same time started with gulf live rock and that was like concrete blocks, not very appealing to the eye, very heavy and not very porous not to mention it came in with aptasia. I believe kp guarantees no aptasia and I've never seen any on it. Right now all that's really available for actual live rock from the ocean is gulf rock or Florida keys rock. The keys rock is what kp aquatics sells.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
The build looks great so far! I am going to second kp aquatics for live rock. I recently received an order and it was teaming with life. I definitely suggest a high salinity dip to get the unwanted critters out but as for the rock it's very light and porous with many holes and pass-throughs in each piece. I had a biocube years ago with kp aquatics live rock as well and it was a very stable tank with no pests. I also had another biocube around the same time started with gulf live rock and that was like concrete blocks, not very appealing to the eye, very heavy and not very porous not to mention it came in with aptasia. I believe kp guarantees no aptasia and I've never seen any on it. Right now all that's really available for actual live rock from the ocean is gulf rock or Florida keys rock. The keys rock is what kp aquatics sells.
Thank you and thank you for the info on kp aquatics. I think that may be the direction I’m headed. I’m a bit nervous I won’t be able to pick what I want (size/shape) wise but I’m thinking I can get 1/2 kp for the life and 1/2 dry/base rock. Still kicking around a few ideas.

Thank you and thank you for the info on kp aquatics. I think that may be the direction I’m headed. I’m a bit nervous I won’t be able to pick what I want (size/shape) wise but I’m thinking I can get 1/2 kp for the life and 1/2 dry/base rock. Still kicking around a few ideas.
Reach out to them in a message they are very accommodating to what your looking for. They've got a great rep for it.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I was able to fire up the lights to mess around with them a bit. So far I’m pretty happy. Looks like the spread is pretty good. They definitely aren’t as blue as they look in person.

C6D7E520-3C51-4B6F-918E-7D5DA2030C7B.jpeg

Return pump and float switch for my ro will be here Wednesday. Still need to figure out a heater.

have you thought about using live sand and dry rock instead?

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
have you thought about using live sand and dry rock instead?
Yup that’s another option I have considered. Last tank I did with dry rock had a diatom issue that was tough to get under control.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Pump is in!!! Can’t wait to get it installed!

233B904E-762B-4AE5-81E6-77287390C1F1.jpeg

Was also able to wrestle my RODI system apart after letting it sit for 4+ years. Going to “pressure” test it with no cartridges first incase abs gaskets or fittings are broken. Hoping to be making water by Friday evening.

Picked up some caribsea live sand. Got a 20lb bag of “Bimini pink” and 10lb bag of coarser “special grade”.

Still to do:
Decide on/find live rock
Buy a heater
Find powerheads and order new wetsides.