• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Kschweers rebuild. 57g rimless

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
You could get one of those Triton water test kits to get some more answers. I found a company on eBay that sells the kits that is located in PA and no shipping charge. I got it from them because it got to me quicker than getting it from .
Might not be a bad idea. It's like $50 right?

Might not be a bad idea. It's like $50 right?
Yup, $49. Then you fill 2 test tubes with tank water, and then mail it to some place in Cali. Once it gets to Cali they send to to Germany or something. The only added extra cost is the few bucks it cost to mail it to them. Takes about 10 days to get the results.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Yup, $49. Then you fill 2 test tubes with tank water, and then mail it to some place in Cali. Once it gets to Cali they send to to Germany or something. The only added extra cost is the few bucks it cost to mail it to them. Takes about 10 days to get the results.
Thanks man. Going to look into it

Have you checked your RO/DI water for TDS? Started a new container of salt mix? Opened a new container of GAC/GFO? Any new supplements? Stray voltage? Rusting magnets? Insecticides or chems, i.e. cleaners, etc. near the tank? Do you have an air line to your skimmer intake that goes to the outside that may have drawn in some chem's?

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Have you checked your RO/DI water for TDS? Started a new container of salt mix? Opened a new container of GAC/GFO? Any new supplements? Stray voltage? Rusting magnets? Insecticides or chems, i.e. cleaners, etc. near the tank? Do you have an air line to your skimmer intake that goes to the outside that may have drawn in some chem's?
Nothing new except the bulbs. Going to bring my multimeter home from work and check for stray voltage today and check all magnets. No skimmer line outside.

Too bad to know your having this problem, as you already know I was having same problem in my tank and I've lost 98% of my SPS corals so good luck to you.
In my case it was due to lack of nutrients (no fish and big weekly water changes) and Alk fluctuation (using Kalk in my ATO).
Now I'm back to 2 part dosing, doing only 5gal water changes weekly and keeping Nitrates at 5 to 10 ppm by dosing NO3.

Once again good luck bud.

Sent from my LGLS751 using Tapatalk

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Too bad to know your having this problem, as you already know I was having same problem in my tank and I've lost 98% of my SPS corals so good luck to you.
In my case it was due to lack of nutrients (no fish and big weekly water changes) and Alk fluctuation (using Kalk in my ATO).
Now I'm back to 2 part dosing, doing only 5gal water changes weekly and keeping Nitrates at 5 to 10 ppm by dosing NO3.

Once again good luck bud.

Sent from my LGLS751 using Tapatalk
Thanks man. I assumed that ms what was going on, thought my nutrients dropped but after testing that's not the case.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Took both mp10s apart and found this on one. Had to look pretty hard but there is definitely some rust/corrosion. Think this could be part of my problem?
image.jpeg

Very well could be, I bet if you pulled the coating back it would all be rust. People that say rusty magnets are like gfo are very wrong. Gfo is iron, magnets are a mixture of metals that do impact tanks.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Still pretty bummed about what's going on with the tank, lost a few pieces. Things do seem to be slowing down though. Got a box of goodies today from ecotech marine. 2 new wetsides and 2 QD drivers. These things are quiet!!! Time to start saving for a vectra m1 to replace my tempremental return pump.
image.jpeg

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
It's a sad day, just got finished taking it all down. This will be the first time in at least 7 years without a tank. Wanted to thank everyone for following along. Hopefully my break won't be too long.

IMG_1927.JPG